Gulya

Elenna101

Farmer
Increase your fishing level and cast as far as you can. Fish quality is based on how far your bobber is from shore (since there is no "opposite shore" in the cave like there would be in, say, the river, you can maximize distance from shore by casting as far as you can) and how high your fishing level is.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Increase your fishing level and cast as far as you can. Fish quality is based on how far your bobber is from shore (since there is no "opposite shore" in the cave like there would be in, say, the river, you can maximize distance from shore by casting as far as you can) and how high your fishing level is.
Also use a quality bobber and catch perfectly.

Elenna101

Farmer
It depends on level though too, this was if they aren’t lvl 8 or above and have less cast reach
Level 8 is definitely not necessary, I've gotten gold quality fish at fishing level 1 before, without perfect catches, and I usually get them pretty often at level 4, which is when you start being able to hit water depth 5. Of course OP could be below level 4 fishing but in that case they won't be able to use bobbers and they almost certainly won't be able to perfect catch the void salmon, either.

EDIT: The Fishing page of the wiki lists a 68% chance of gold quality at fishing level 4 and water depth 5. Gulya, make sure you're fishing to the right or left of your character, not up or down, as that increases the range of your cast by one tile.

Eating a food that gives a fishing buff and using the cork bobber or trap bobber will help. To use tackle, you need the iridium pole. You can buy either bobber at Willy's once you have high enough fishing level, or craft them. Trap bobber unlocks at level 6, and makes your progress bar decrease more slowly when the fish is outside the catch bar. You can make it with copper & sap. The cork bobber unlocks at level 7 and makes your catch bar bigger. It's made with wood, hardwood, and slime.
Foods with fishing buffs increase the size of your catch bar, just like leveling up or using the cork bobber. Higher buff makes it even bigger!
Trout soup +1 is always available at Willy's!
Chowder +1
Maple bar +1
Shrimp cocktail +1
Dish o the sea +3
Lobster bisque +3
Fish stew +3
Fish taco +2
Escargot +2
Seafoam pudding +4
If you don't have the recipes or ingredients, you can sometimes get fish taco or dish o the sea from Krobus on Saturday. Dish o the sea is a community center reward for one of the fish bundles. You might also be able to buy one of the fishing buff foods at the travelling cart or saloon.

A quick trip to Willy's for a bobber & some trout soup will give you a very good advantage with not much difficulty or expense!

Last edited:

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Level 8 is definitely not necessary, I've gotten gold quality fish at fishing level 1 before, without perfect catches, and I usually get them pretty often at level 4, which is when you start being able to hit water depth 5. Of course OP could be below level 4 fishing but in that case they won't be able to use bobbers and they almost certainly won't be able to perfect catch the void salmon, either.

EDIT: The Fishing page of the wiki lists a 68% chance of gold quality at fishing level 4 and water depth 5. Gulya, make sure you're fishing to the right or left of your character, not up or down, as that increases the range of your cast by one tile.
Sounds good, I meant it as more of a general reasoning/an example and not for only void salmon but thanks for the info.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend

I’ve also gotten gold and iridium fish at level 1 too, it was mostly regarding the cast increase you get on certain levels.

Elenna101

Farmer
Sounds good, I meant it as more of a general reasoning/an example and not for only void salmon but thanks for the info.
Yeah, quality bobber and perfect catches are definitely good tools if you're looking to get gold and especially iridium quality fish! I just wanted to clarify for OP that neither is necessary in the particular case of gold quality void salmon, so they don't feel like it's going to take them forever to get the missing bundle done.

Actually, probably should have asked this first: @Gulya , are you having trouble catching a void salmon at all, or is the issue that you're catching them but they're not gold quality? If you're having trouble catching one, PoppyForPenny had some good suggestions above. If you're catching them but they're not gold quality, try casting as far as you can away from shore to the left or right (and get up to at least fishing level 4 if you're not there yet).
Or is the issue that you don't know where to find the void salmon? If you've been to the witch's cave, it's the swamp outside it. If not, go up to the railroad (after finishing the community center or Joja, which I assume you've done since you're asking this question), and complete the series of quests you get there.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Yeah, quality bobber and perfect catches are definitely good tools if you're looking to get gold and especially iridium quality fish! I just wanted to clarify for OP that neither is necessary in the particular case of gold quality void salmon, so they don't feel like it's going to take them forever to get the missing bundle done.

Actually, probably should have asked this first: @Gulya , are you having trouble catching a void salmon at all, or is the issue that you're catching them but they're not gold quality? If you're having trouble catching one, PoppyForPenny had some good suggestions above. If you're catching them but they're not gold quality, try casting as far as you can away from shore to the left or right (and get up to at least fishing level 4 if you're not there yet).
Or is the issue that you don't know where to find the void salmon? If you've been to the witch's cave, it's the swamp outside it. If not, go up to the railroad (after finishing the community center or Joja, which I assume you've done since you're asking this question), and complete the series of quests you get there.
Are they on mobile?
They could be experiencing the cast bug and are casting the wrong way.