General help on stardew

amybaby8

Newcomer
Help!

I’m super confused and need guidance with my farm / game progression (i began a week ago).

Do these trees grow because they’re right beside one another? I’ve read that I should not cut them down because I will need them for farm building construction within the game. I’ve also read that they do not grow if they are right beside one another or near a full grown tree? Could someone clear this up for me?

Should I clear up my farm of debris or try to organise the trees in a particular space? I have just constructed a silo, a coop and a barn. Should I begin to buy animals or upgrade my house?

How many crops should you start farming in your first year? I’m intimidated by everybody’s farms online. For example, I’m in fall of my first year and I only have harvested about 20-30 crops a season on a Small patch of land . I have seen peoples farms online and their farms are full of construction decoration and what looks like thousands of crops.

I guess I would just like some guidance on these little things and what should I be aiming to do at the moment. Any tips and direction would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

Ereo

Helper
Cut down the trees when you need wood or if they’re in your way. You can always keep the wood for later. Keep the seeds they drop to plant trees later (or now). Trees will also grow on other maps than the farm, but can be destroyed by walking villagers.
They will not grow right next to another fully grown tree.

I buy animals as soon as the coop or barn are complete. Otherwise they’re just an empty investment.

i plant as many crops as I can water before I get annoyed. Which is usually 10 am, noon the latest. As I upgrade the watering can, the field gets bigger. That way, I always have some time in the day to do different things.

as to what you should do, that’s really up to you. look at the community centre if you’re unsure what to do next. That will guide you through all the different activities in the game. You can’t miss anything by going slow. Just have fun!

Odyssey

Sodbuster
If you haven't already, I recommend spending some time in the mines to get resources for smelting metal bars. The bars can then be used to craft useful items (like sprinklers to allow you to grow crops without watering them by hand) or upgrade your tools. Don't ignore the elevator though! I did for a while on my first playthrough until I realised what it did.

It is possible to grow vast amounts of crops in the first year but most of the farms layouts posted online are probably at least a few years into the game. Stardew can be played at whatever pace you find fun, so you can get sprinklers and grow lots of extra crops if you want to or you can keep things small scale.

There are loads of 100 days of Stardew videos on YouTube if you want to see some examples of what people have done in the first year, although those are mostly posted by relatively experienced players so don't feel the need to try and keep up with them. The majority of them won't have the new 1.6 content but they'll still show people scaling up their farms over time.

When winter comes, it's worth investigating after the cutscene that plays in the bus stop. Once you find the character from the cutscene you get something that can give you some hints about villager gift preferences and clues to secrets hidden around the valley, but I'm fairly sure you can't find the character in any season other than winter.

Oh, and watch the TV! Some days there are programmes that will give you farming tips. Other days have new recipes, and there is always a weather forecast and an indication of how lucky the day is (on lucky days it is much easier to progress on the mines and you also find more treasure chests when fishing and get more wood from chopping trees).

MogBeoulve

Farmer
Twenty to thirty crops per season is about right for my first year if I don't have sprinklers because I hate watering more than that. Like Odyssey said, get metal from the mines to make sprinklers, then you can expand on crops.

Definitely buy some animals for your coop and barn - chickens and cows actually are great money makers.

SiX

Greenhorn
Make sure to cut down those tree stumps too by the way, they give you extra wood and extra foraging XP. There isn't any point in keeping them around, they're also blocking the other tree saplings from growing. As the other said, sprinklers are an absolute priority. I personally always skip the standard sprinklers and go straight to quality ones. Search for "Skills" in the SDV wiki, there's a lot of misconceptions about what actually gives XP. Enjoy the game =)