Solved Game Wont Even Open

Hi,
I've been trying to play since I've updated, but my game won't even open. The mods terminal that always opens before the game launches opens but gives me a red error message stating;

[SMAPI] SMAPI failed to initialize: System.MissingFieldException: Field 'StardewValley.Game1.locations' not found.
at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.SCore.RunInteractively () <0x10c2ee000 + 0x0094f> in <filename unknown>:0

I restarted my computer, re-downloaded all the mods I use, even tried removing all the mod files from the mods folder to launch the game without any mods, and everything I have tried has resulted in the same short error message.

I don't know very much about mods, if I'm missing any new ones or if I've now lost my worlds at this point, so if anyone can help me I really need it as this game is my life lol

Last edited by a moderator:

ConcernedApe

Creator & Developer
Staff member
Are all your mods updated to 1.5 compatibility? If not you might not be able to play with them

Are all your mods updated to 1.5 compatibility? If not you might not be able to play with them
I think so - I re-downloaded the newest files of the mods I had. It still wont open even if I take off all the mods I use, which is also confusing me because if I take them out of the mods folder shouldn't it open without them?

ConcernedApe

Creator & Developer
Staff member
No, if you have a save file on which you've already used mods, taking the mods out won't necessarily allow it to work. The only way to ensure it will work is to check each of your mods, seeing if the mod creator has updated the mod for 1.5, and then downloading that new updated mod

No, if you have a save file on which you've already used mods, taking the mods out won't necessarily allow it to work. The only way to ensure it will work is to check each of your mods, seeing if the mod creator has updated the mod for 1.5, and then downloading that new updated mod
I got rid of all the mods that haven't been updated in the past week or so, and the game is now able to open again. I'm unable to open any of my other saved games, but I'm able to start a new farm, which is really unfortunate as I've spent so much time on my previous farms and now I'm not able to load them without crashing. I'm doubting there Is a way to fix this since I'm sure it's crashing due to me needing to remove the un-updated mod files, but if there is something I could try out/again let me know. Thanks for your help.

Krypto

Newcomer
I DELETED ALL MODS INCLUDING UNUPDATED OR UPDATED. DIDN'T WORK. A MONTHS AGO I DOWNLOAD THIS GAME AND SMAPI WITH 244 MODS. ITS WORKED ALREADY BUT NOW I UNINSTALL THE GAME BECAUSE OF THE SOME PROBLEMS, ITS SOLVED BUT THERE IS AN ANOTHER PROBLEM IN SMAPI (WHILE I USE THE SAME MOD FILES WITH SAME VERSIONS FROM MY SPARE MODS, SAME SMAPI VERSION, SAME GAME VERSION). ITS SAME PROBLEM AND NOW I DELETED ALL MODS BUT NOT WORKING. SAME PROBLEM AGAIN AND AGAIN (sorry for capslock its left open)