Fish Pickles

imnvs

Local Legend
No, seriously, in real life, you can pickle fish. I come from a region where pickled herring is a common appetizer or snack food at parties of all varieties including holidays. I would like to suggest that fish be able to be pickled in SDV. Of course this would be done in preserves jars, but I think it could and should be made to take as long as wine does in kegs with a similar price formula. (Almost 1 week processing instead of 2-3 days, and sale price being 3*base value instead of the 50+2*base value that pickles and jellies use.)

Last edited:
No, seriously, in real life, you can pickle fish. I come from a region where pickled herring is a common appetizer or snack food at parties of all varieties including holidays. I would like to suggest that fish be able to be pickled in SDV. Of course this would be done in preserves jars, but I think it could and should be made to take as long as wine does in kegs with a similar price formula. (Almost 1 week processing instead of 2-3 days, and sale price being 3*base value instead of the 50+2*base value that pickles and jellies use.)
Who will love this?

imnvs

Local Legend
Who will love this?
As an artisan good, I would want to say it should be a universal like with some exceptions, but the fact that fish is a universal dislike? I think a compromise is in order. I know that in the real world, pickled fish can be something of an acquired taste. With that in mind, I would suggest that it should be a universal neutral, with the following exceptions:

Willy: love (because he's Willy, and it's fish)
Demetrius: like (because he is an exception, already being neutral to fish)
Sebastian: like (because he is another exception, like his step-father, being neutral to fish)
Krobus: love (because if any food has two people that like it and that food is a bit not normal, it's Willy and Krobus that love it)

Last edited:

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
As an artisan good, I would want to say it should be a universal like with some exceptions, but the fact that fish is a universal dislike? I think a compromise is in order. I know that in the real world, pickled fish can be something of an acquired taste. With that in mind, I would suggest that it should be a universal neutral, with the following exceptions:

Willy: love (because he's Willy, and it's fish)
Demetrius: like (because he is an exception, already being neutral to fish)
Sebastian: like (because he is another exception, like his step-father, being netural to fish)
Krobus: love (because if any food has two people that like it and that food is a bit not normal, it's Willy and Krobus that love it)
I feel like Emily would either dislike or hate it, since she already dislikes or hates a good chunk of the fish dishes, same case with Evelyn. Meanwhile, Maru, Sam, and Shane would probably outright hate it because they already hate pickles, and Harvey would probably at least like it because he loves pickles. I feel like Elliott could also be a candidate for a villager who at least likes it, since he's among the only villagers who at least likes squid, octopus, and lobster.

imnvs

Local Legend
So, below is a tabulated list of possible exceptions so far. I'm not 100% sold on Elliot, but it's not a bad list overall.

Love: Willy, Krobus
Like: Demetrius, Sebastian, Harvey, Elliot
Dislike: Emily, Evelyn
Hate: Maru, Sam, Shane

Cthulhu

Sodbuster
And I'd like to chime in that fish being a universal dislike is... well, stupid. If people like cooked fish, they don't necessarily have to like uncooked fish... but if they know how to cook, they should be happy. Or if their parents cook for them. Or their partner.

Anyway, maybe they should include a smoker. Fish can be pickled or smoked, cheese can be smoked... I've even heard of people smoking fruit slices.

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
Assuming CA went with your selling price formula if he were to implement pickled fish, it would easily be among the overall most profitable artisan goods, assuming it's an artisan good. And it would be even more profitable with the Artisan profession active! For example, if you pickled a lava eel, even without the Artisan profession active, the resulting product would sell for 2100 g, and that's not even taking into account how much it would sell for with the Artisan profession active. That's more than enough compensation for the long processing time, I think.

imnvs

Local Legend
Lava Eels are the Starfruit of the fish, indeed.

For those thinking that the value mentioned by Lemon_Stone (and indicated from my suggested value formula) is high, remember that Starfruit starts at 750g, so wine is 2250g... and it can be aged (increasing value to 4500g each), unlike pickles. 2100g isn't really too large an amount of cash to be making from this.

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
Step One: Build a fish pond. You don't have to, but having the Artisan profession is highly recommended.

Step Two: Catch a lava eel.

Step Three: Put the lava eel in the fish pond.

Step Four: Let the pond population grow to ten.

Step Five: Harvest one of the lava eels and pickle it. That way, you'll still have maximum roe production while waiting for the pond population to reach ten again.

Step Six: Repeat steps Four and five indefinitely.

Last edited:

imnvs

Local Legend
Step Seven: Repeat steps Four through Six indefinitely.
I'm not sure if you're trying to showing people how they could best mass produce this way, or criticizing it because you think it would be too easy... because I can produce Starfruit a lot faster than that fish pond will restock.

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
Oh no, that wasn't criticizing at all, but now that you mention it.... A better way to capitalize on pickled lava eel would probably be to just fish one out of the pond when the population reaches ten. That way, you'll still get the maximum roe production while eventually getting a new lava eel to pickle when the population reaches ten again. I've edited the post.

Last edited:

Kurachi84

Planter
I wish for useless fish, like the ones having no own dish, to be more useful over time, and maybe pickles would do them better, too!
At least another thing to do with fish in general.
Maybe year 3 or 4 should have more wanted quests where NPC's may ask for any kind of pickles and more stuff they don't ask for now.
Even year 5 would do, especially since you'll be having a lot more by then, and fish pickles could be used for other things in the future... probvably not the upcoming update of 1.5, maybe not even 1.6 yet, but eventually it'll come... maybe!

I'm no speedrunner, min/maxer or competitive player, as i'm more into doing more and more stuff in the game, so making new pickles would be fun, too :)
And them (plus the regular pickles and even jellies) having more uses makes it even more fun for me!