Farm tips?

I hope this is within the guidelines since this is my first time on here

I was hoping to get some tips on setting up farms.

so farm on my first farm I've set up 2 coops, a barn, a paddock set up to take 200 crops with a near complete water system, a section of the farm set up timber production, another for hay and a small set-up for goods like cheese, Mayo, honey and now at the recommendation of other preservation jars.

Is there anything else that would help boost the productivity of my farm?

after it been recommended heres a screen shot of the main production part of my farm
Screenshot_20211227-080339.jpg

in the shed I have coal producers x5 forge x3 Mayo producers x5 cheese producers x3 and preservation jars x7. to the lower left there is a pine tree forest that's my major supplier of timber and is constantly been restocked. the crop has been set up for 200 as previously mentioned but should be easily expanded when needed.

Last edited:

imnvs

Local Legend
The biggest thing to increase productivity that you did not mention is a bunch of preserves jars and kegs for processing the fruits/veggies you grow. A jar's output is worth twice the base price of the input plus another 50g (so best used for cheaper fruit and most veg), and a keg's is worth thrice the input's base price (so best use is for expensive fruit and only the most expensive veg).

imnvs

Local Legend
thank you for this bit of insight, is there anything else such as the mines or other item that can help raise fund?
Well, to get the materials you need for jars and kegs, you will have to get resources from the Mines. Preserves jars require coal, and kegs require both copper and iron bars.

Also, mining can make you good money if you're really pushing it and getting lots of ore that you can smelt into bars and sell.

Really early on, fishing is good for making money too.

...but in my experience, farming and processing what you've farmed should outstrip fishing before you're done with year 1 and mining by the end of year 2. Just in farming I make over 1M/week before the end of year 4 in every save.

Cuusardo

Farmer
Some folks would advise you to save all your produce and materials for later use, but when I first start a farm I sell a lot of what I grow and some of the extra materials I find.

Sap is one example. It's easy to end up with lots and lots of sap, so if I find myself with 2 stacks of sap in storage I'll sell off the big stack. Sure sap is cheap and there are lots of uses for it, but you get a LOT of it and I personally have never run out.

As for produce, I recommend growing as much as you can of cauliflower in the spring, melons in the summer, and pumpkins in the fall. In year 1 you probably won't be able to use these much for cooking, so selling them can get you a nice chunk of change plus loads of farming experience.

Welcome!
I hope this is within the guidelines since this is my first time on here

I was hoping to get some tips on setting up farms.

so farm on my first farm I've set up 2 coops, a barn, a paddock set up to take 200 crops with a near complete water system, a section of the farm set up timber production, another for hay and a small set-up for goods like cheese, Mayo and honey.

Is there anything else that would help boost the productivity of my farm?
Welcome!

For me when you say the word "productivity", there are two ways to take it: An Increase in Output, or a Decrease in Inputted Time. To tackle the latter, I always like having as much automation as possible. If you haven't already gotten autograbbers for the barns and coops that's an obvious one, less obvious but still valuable would be getting autopetters out of the skull cavern for them. Junimo huts can help harvest those crops for you on non-rainy days so you're not spending time on that. Finally, if you have them unlocked, careful Mini-Obelisk placement can either link you up to a production center or a teleport center, either of which can increase your productivity.

From the standpoint of increasing your output, as imnvs said ensuring you have your crops processed via machines is absolutely massive to profits. Beyond that, you've got most of the bases covered, so you could just ramp up scale in the area of your preference to increase output. You can also make a Bunch of Crystalariums, those are very often overlooked for profits but a shed full of them can bring in an extra 140k per week, and if you're already processing all your crops and don't want to process more they're a fine use of your iridium and batteries.

I hope that helps at least a bit, if you don't mind sharing out pictures of your farm that might give us a better idea of what exactly you're working with. Regardless welcome to the forum!

Tom

Farmer
That sounds like a really nice setup! Preserves Jars and Kegs take a lot of work/prep (materials) to craft, but they are the way to the biggest profits in the game. I'm so lazy I refuse to set up mine anywhere but outdoors on my farm, where the North-South runs are the longest possible. This is Year 4 Winter on my longest playthrough:

Tom_12-26-2021_68484963.png

I am almost to the point here that the only thing left to do is start playing around with the layout of my farm and fish or whatever else when I feel like it.

Tom

Sigrah

Farmer
If you haven’t already, you should check out this site that lets you design and plan out your farm. It can go a long way towards optimizing your crop and artisan production, as well as what strengths and limitations you’ll face with different farm maps.

That sounds like a really nice setup! Preserves Jars and Kegs take a lot of work/prep (materials) to craft, but they are the way to the biggest profits in the game. I'm so lazy I refuse to set up mine anywhere but outdoors on my farm, where the North-South runs are the longest possible. This is Year 4 Winter on my longest playthrough:

View attachment 7830

I am almost to the point here that the only thing left to do is start playing around with the layout of my farm and fish or whatever else when I feel like it.

Tom
jesus you've got a hell of a set up, at the recommendation of imnvs I has started to set preservation jar and already I can see the profile from them been amazing. I see you using upgraded sprinklers, are they worth the trouble when it come to materials or is it just as easy to stick with the basic sprinkler?

Well, to get the materials you need for jars and kegs, you will have to get resources from the Mines. Preserves jars require coal, and kegs require both copper and iron bars.

Also, mining can make you good money if you're really pushing it and getting lots of ore that you can smelt into bars and sell.

Really early on, fishing is good for making money too.

...but in my experience, farming and processing what you've farmed should outstrip fishing before you're done with year 1 and mining by the end of year 2. Just in farming I make over 1M/week before the end of year 4 in every save.
is there much point in finding the bottom early on? at this point in time I'm at about floor 81. is it worth pushing deep down into the mine or just sticking up around 30 and 40 for the copper and iron?

jesus you've got a hell of a set up, at the recommendation of imnvs I has started to set preservation jar and already I can see the profile from them been amazing. I see you using upgraded sprinklers, are they worth the trouble when it come to materials or is it just as easy to stick with the basic sprinkler?
It's also definitely worth to upgrade sprinklers, like definitely worth it. By the way, I've got 1,100 kegs and 137 preserves jars. Shoot for the stars!

Welcome!

Welcome!

For me when you say the word "productivity", there are two ways to take it: An Increase in Output, or a Decrease in Inputted Time. To tackle the latter, I always like having as much automation as possible. If you haven't already gotten autograbbers for the barns and coops that's an obvious one, less obvious but still valuable would be getting autopetters out of the skull cavern for them. Junimo huts can help harvest those crops for you on non-rainy days so you're not spending time on that. Finally, if you have them unlocked, careful Mini-Obelisk placement can either link you up to a production center or a teleport center, either of which can increase your productivity.

From the standpoint of increasing your output, as imnvs said ensuring you have your crops processed via machines is absolutely massive to profits. Beyond that, you've got most of the bases covered, so you could just ramp up scale in the area of your preference to increase output. You can also make a Bunch of Crystalariums, those are very often overlooked for profits but a shed full of them can bring in an extra 140k per week, and if you're already processing all your crops and don't want to process more they're a fine use of your iridium and batteries.

I hope that helps at least a bit, if you don't mind sharing out pictures of your farm that might give us a better idea of what exactly you're working with. Regardless welcome to the forum!
thank you for this bit of knowledge and thank you for the warm welcome.
if you double check my post it should now be updated with a screenshot and a bit more updated information.

Tom

Farmer
Sprinklers:
I think Quality Sprinklers are fine, and I consider Iridium Sprinklers a mid- to late game perk. Iridium are nice for Junimo Huts, which are just a bit disappointing due to the (IMHO) incompetent harvesting of the Junimos. That said, I often do make it a point to visit a special store where once weekly I can buy an Iridium Sprinkler.

The Mines floors:
I usually ease up on my push to the bottom around the last week of Spring when I reach floor 80. I really don't have a lot of urgency once I have access to abundant gold ore. That said, there are some really good boots further down.

Ensuring that your bee houses are producing flavored honey would be a plus if you aren't already. Most honeys are worth more than a basic mead so it's a decent investment.
interesting, I've only got the one bee house at the moment as a reward so I'm not to use to them, how would you set them up to produce flavoured honey?

Reactions: Tom
thank you for this bit of knowledge and thank you for the warm welcome.
if you double check my post it should now be updated with a screenshot and a bit more updated information.
Wow, I gotta say, you really went overboard on the sprinklers. If I'm being honest, I never crafted a single sprinkler until I had the recipe for quality sprinklers. They're way more efficient. I gotta appreciate the dedication though.

Sprinklers:
I think Quality Sprinklers are fine, and I consider Iridium Sprinklers a mid- to late game perk. Iridium are nice for Junimo Huts, which are just a bit disappointing due to the (IMHO) incompetent harvesting of the Junimos. That said, I often do make it a point to visit a special store where once weekly I can buy an Iridium Sprinkler.

The Mines floors:
I usually ease up on my push to the bottom around the last week of Spring when I reach floor 80. I really don't have a lot of urgency once I have access to abundant gold ore. That said, there are some really good boots further down.
thank you for this. are there any specific methods for getting the 3 ingredient for quality sprinklers (I could remember the item now) and I think I know oh the store you are talking about so I take it it's best to wait for access and buy the iridium sprinklers there.

as for the mines, is there any good methods for pushing down past floor 81 as I've started to struggle a little with the monsters, were I'm using a claymore as well as boot with 3 defence and 3 immunity as well as 2 rings

thank you for this. are there any specific methods for getting the 3 ingredient for quality sprinklers (I could remember the item now) and I think I know oh the store you are talking about so I take it it's best to wait for access and buy the iridium sprinklers there.

as for the mines, is there any good methods for pushing down past floor 81 as I've started to struggle a little with the monsters, were I'm using a claymore as well as boot with 3 defence and 3 immunity as well as 2 rings
It's just iron, gold, and refined quartz. The first two are simple and easy, just grind out floor 40-60 and 80-120. The second one is equally simple and easy. Do you know all of that quartz that you've been stockpiling from the mines? Put it in the furnace. Or you can fish up broken CDs and broken glasses on the farm or other trash-rich places and recycle them to get refined quartz.