Dyes - cheap and in bulk? (1.5 quest spoiler)

hexnessie

Farmer
I've just done the Prismatic Grange order 5 times in a row and used up all my cheap dye materials. I'm playing with 50% income tax so I'd rather NOT buy expensive items just to throw at Blueboy.

So I'm wondering, those of you who do the order, what inexpensive items do you usually donate per category? Inexpensive means either free-to-find incidentally while doing other things, or grown quickly enough that it doesn't take your plots out of commission for a week!

To clarify, I know which items can be donated, but I'm interested what YOU specifically like to use for this quest.

As for blue, I still have 600 normal quality blackberries from Year 1.

Green, I usually donate fiber (yes, I know, Caroline and her saplings, but I decided not to use this item as the point of the playthrough was to make it more difficult financially, not easier!)

Yellow, that's the beautiful one - it's sap all the way.

Orange is usually where my difficulties start: I'm reluctant to donate copper ore as I need every bit for my kegs (still only have 550 of them) and won't be able to buy it in bulk. I switched out my Crystalariums from Jade to earth crystals for a while.

Purple: When I ran out of bug meat, I grew some beets but maybe there's something cheaper/faster/easier?

Red: Ran out of all regular salmonberries and had to resort to planting radishes. Any cheaper options? Should I just donate iridium salmonberries?

Lew Zealand

Helper
I donated exactly the things you mentioned, I'm pretty sure including the Copper Ore. And yeah, I ended up donating Iridium Blackberries and Salmonberries. I've only seen Mr. Fashion Faux-pas once outside of an underground Lair, and that was quite late in the game for me so I'd accumulated enough of everything to do an immediate donation (5x over- Copper Ore was the limiting reagent). Which means I'm not familiar with the resource limitations that might arise from getting in there in earlier game for a speedrun normal person type of playthrough.

Purple: Void essence might be the next easiest thing to obtain other than Beets. Beets are easiest IMO as long as you can get the seeds.

Red: Jelly is also red so it you have the Jarring capacity and store cheap fruit (like Blackberry), you could make enough in a week with 50 of them. You could also grind for Magma Geodes while waiting the the Jelly to process.

Orange: Lionfish are a pretty common catch at Ginger and any you catch could replace Copper Ore, but Bombing the higher levels in the Mines are likely to net you more Copper Ore per time spent.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I donated exactly the things you mentioned, I'm pretty sure including the Copper Ore. And yeah, I ended up donating Iridium Blackberries and Salmonberries. I've only seen Mr. Fashion Faux-pas once outside of an underground Lair, and that was quite late in the game for me so I'd accumulated enough of everything to do an immediate donation (5x over- Copper Ore was the limiting reagent). Which means I'm not familiar with the resource limitations that might arise from getting in there in earlier game for a speedrun normal person type of playthrough.

Purple: Void essence might be the next easiest thing to obtain other than Beets. Beets are easiest IMO as long as you can get the seeds.

Red: Jelly is also red so it you have the Jarring capacity and store cheap fruit (like Blackberry), you could make enough in a week with 50 of them. You could also grind for Magma Geodes while waiting the the Jelly to process.

Orange: Lionfish are a pretty common catch at Ginger and any you catch could replace Copper Ore, but Bombing the higher levels in the Mines are likely to net you more Copper Ore per time spent.
Yeah, these are good ones, I would also not reccomend the lionfish strat as you could sell them to buy more copper or bombs if desperate.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I've just done the Prismatic Grange order 5 times in a row and used up all my cheap dye materials. I'm playing with 50% income tax so I'd rather NOT buy expensive items just to throw at Blueboy.

So I'm wondering, those of you who do the order, what inexpensive items do you usually donate per category? Inexpensive means either free-to-find incidentally while doing other things, or grown quickly enough that it doesn't take your plots out of commission for a week!

To clarify, I know which items can be donated, but I'm interested what YOU specifically like to use for this quest.

As for blue, I still have 600 normal quality blackberries from Year 1.

Green, I usually donate fiber (yes, I know, Caroline and her saplings, but I decided not to use this item as the point of the playthrough was to make it more difficult financially, not easier!)

Yellow, that's the beautiful one - it's sap all the way.

Orange is usually where my difficulties start: I'm reluctant to donate copper ore as I need every bit for my kegs (still only have 550 of them) and won't be able to buy it in bulk. I switched out my Crystalariums from Jade to earth crystals for a while.

Purple: When I ran out of bug meat, I grew some beets but maybe there's something cheaper/faster/easier?

Red: Ran out of all regular salmonberries and had to resort to planting radishes. Any cheaper options? Should I just donate iridium salmonberries?
Iridium is a fast and easy way to do purple which I usually find a pain, the ore works which is great.
It's also probably easier and cheaper than buying 100 beets and farming those all the time.
Salmonberries are probably you rbest option, if you have a lot, they are good but not the best as a food source but they are they cheapest foragabe item so selling them is going to do nothing, I think just commit.
Have a good day

hexnessie

Farmer
Ooh, good idea! I have so much of it from killing Serpents, I might as well use it for once.

Iridium is a fast and easy way to do purple which I usually find a pain, the ore works which is great.
It's also probably easier and cheaper than buying 100 beets and farming those all the time.
Iridium I still need, selling bars for some moderate profit (it's my 50% less income playthrough, so 750 per bar is a LOT). Bug meat was my go-to purple thing, since I've been doing a lot of fighting in the mines with Hot Java ring.

I may just plant 10-15 grapes in pots somewhere and harvest them once in a while, they regrow every 3 days so even faster than beets on DSG.

imnvs

Local Legend
No, seriously, iridium is way too expensive too use as dye. And between beets and void essence, I gotta go with void essence being the cheaper option.