Mac Compatibility Versions on GOG

Fratink

Greenhorn
Hello,

GOG doesn't seem to have the compatibility versions of stardew valley for people running older macs. I'm trying to download V 1.5.6 (I have 1.5.4) but their support tells me it doesn't exist. Is there still a compatible version of 1.5.6 for OSX 10.11?

If so, how do I get it?

Thanks!!

Lew Zealand

Helper
Hello Fratink and welcome to the forums!

I recently downloaded Compatibility versions for my old Mac OS 10.11 Macs from GOG but I’m indisposed right now so can’t check directly. FYI I’m using 2009 MacBook Pros for this so if you’re using the same, the Compatibility version does work.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Hello again Fratink, I just got the Compatibility version of the SDV standaone installer on my Mac using GOG Galaxy to download the installer. Here's what I did:

Open GOG Galaxy
Click Owned Games
Find and Click Stardew Valley
Click Settings icon at upper right
Hover over Manage Installation, select Configure from submenu
In Beta channels, select compatibility
Click the radio button next to the most recent version, 1.5.6.1988831614
Click OK
Click Extras at top center
Click down arrow to the right side of Stardew Valley 1.5.6.1988831614

Now, whether the Compatibility Mode version even works on your Mac is also dependent on your video card. My 2011 and 2012 Macs with Intel graphics won't run it (this is also a problem on the PC side and started with v1.5.4), while later Macs (Intel graphics) and my earlier 2009 Macs (Nvidia graphics) do run it.

Fratink

Greenhorn
Hello Lew Zealand!

Sounds like we might have the same macbook pro then, I'm trying to install it on my 2009 as well!

What version of GOG Galaxy are you using? The downloads page for GOG Galaxy shows it doesn't support anything less than 10.12.

Thanks!

Lew Zealand

Helper
Hello Lew Zealand!

Sounds like we might have the same macbook pro then, I'm trying to install it on my 2009 as well!

What version of GOG Galaxy are you using? The downloads page for GOG Galaxy shows it doesn't support anything less than 10.12.

Thanks!
I won’t be back in front of my Mac for awhile but I think I know what’s up. I actually downloaded the Stardew installer on a newer Mac and then transferred the installer to my older one. Do you have access to a newer Mac to install GOG Galaxy just for that download?

If not, I can find a way to get you that Compatibility version.

Fratink

Greenhorn
I won’t be back in front of my Mac for awhile but I think I know what’s up. I actually downloaded the Stardew installer on a newer Mac and then transferred the installer to my older one. Do you have access to a newer Mac to install GOG Galaxy just for that download?

If not, I can find a way to get you that Compatibility version.
Actually I do, my partner has an up to date air I could use. The whole reason I'm doing this actually is so that I can play local-coop with her so perhaps that's what I'll do. It's great to know that you can use GOG Galaxy to download the installers as I like to back them up in case I need them later.

Thanks so much for your help!

Fratink

Greenhorn
Actually I do, my partner has an up to date air I could use. The whole reason I'm doing this actually is so that I can play local-coop with her so perhaps that's what I'll do. It's great to know that you can use GOG Galaxy to download the installers as I like to back them up in case I need them later.

Thanks so much for your help!
So, it seems that even with a working version of GOG Galaxy you're not able to download the installer for old games. You can use GOG Galaxy to update the current installed game to any number of versions but you can't download the installer itself. Pretty poor design IMHO.

I'm going to try just zipping the installed exec and see if that works, who knows haha.

Lew Zealand

Helper
So, it seems that even with a working version of GOG Galaxy you're not able to download the installer for old games. You can use GOG Galaxy to update the current installed game to any number of versions but you can't download the installer itself. Pretty poor design IMHO.

I'm going to try just zipping the installed exec and see if that works, who knows haha.
Yes, unfortunately this is the case. I've started keeping older versions* but this has only become a problem recently with the 1.5.4 updates and later not working on some older Macs. What version are you looking for?

* not by design, of course! Purely by chance as I have multiple computers and found various older installers sitting in Downloads folders. Laziness wins again!