Creator Response Clarification on Animal and Friend Rules

Odysseus

Greenhorn
I've read through the rules a few times but I am still unclear on some things:
While buildings are upgrades for the entire group, the animals themselves belong to individual players, correct? And there is no limit to how many animals a person can own? I'm assuming that the only limit would be your limited inventory capacity, i.e. if you have 7 cows and roll one cow you wouldn't even be able to carry all 7 milks, or can you stack like resources in a single space in your inventory?
Can you continue to give your friends gifts for heart tokens after you have befriended them or can you only give a gift when you use the Make a Friend action and flip a new villager over?

Colito

Board Game Designer
Staff member
Hey!

Yeah this is a good point, its not terribly clear where the animals and buildings go when you buy/build them. Basically they belong to the "farm" so anyone can use them or collect from them on their turn. This is true for both animals and buildings. Some players place them in their player area but I often see players putting them on the farm graphic in the upper left of the board, under Grandpa's Goals.

Animals are only limited by how many animal tiles there are (for example, there are 2 cow tiles but only 1 sheep). When you roll the Animal Dice, each symbol you roll activates all matching animals. When an animal is activated by a die symbol, it gives you a resource. How many resources you can hold is limited by your inventory space (usually 6) and you can't stack these resources. When you first get an animal or two, you won't be producing very much because the die rolls are less likely to activate your animal. But once you have a farm full of animals, the animal dice will generate resources more frequently (I hope that makes sense).

As for friends and hearts, you can only give a gift to them once, during the "friend" action when they are revealed. There are a couple of cards that let you gift again to existing friends, but those are rare.