PC [BUG] Steam Version Split Screen Co op not working properly

hmsprenger9

Newcomer
When I go to start split screen, using Steam version & two PS4 controllers, the second player joins which prompts a new “press start to join” on the first player’s screen. Pressing start on player one’s controller then opens a 3rd co-op screen, and leaves the first player unable to play or move. If there aren’t any extra cabins, then there is just the message on that third screen saying “No available cabins.” Player two can join in, create a character, and play with no issues while this happens.

PajamaSam

Newcomer
I am having the exact same issue. Im using ps4 controllers through steam as well. Haven't been able to figure it out yet.

Lagges

Newcomer
Same issue, but not using PS4 controllers and on GOG.

I just tested local co-op using 2x Logitech F710.
It seems as if Player 1 will always default to Keyboard&Mouse input.
As soon as i press start on the unused controller, a second player can join using this controller. Pressing start on P1's controller starts a third co-op screen as hmsprenger9 described.

P1 sees "Press Start to join game" until I press ESC on my keyboard. I haven't yet found a way to use controller input for P1 in local co-op.

Also, forgot to mention: thanks for another amazing update filled with content!

Last edited:

Oddie

Newcomer
I have a ps4 and xbox controllers had the same issue, went to Big Picture > Settings > Controller Settings > activate both PlayStation and Xbox configuration support. Then go back to Big Picture menu > Library > Stardew Valley > Manage Game > Controller Configuration (select this option with the controller you want to configurate) > configure the "start" button. This way I was able to use both controllers. But now the mouse and keyboard are for the first player and the controllers second and third.

kamikazi6

Greenhorn
I've had this problem since day one and have tried a bunch of different stuff to get it to work, but no dice. Anyone found a solution to this yet?

Daskepeder

Newcomer
Hope this can be patched soon. Very annoying when playing with my two sons.

EDIT: Tried out the workaround today, and it worked well, so that will work for now. :)

Last edited:

TGMoxley

Newcomer
Another one here with the same problem; I'm on GOG and have tried two XBox One controllers and a Switch Pro controller.

Hosey

Newcomer
On Xbox and having same issue here. really would have thought this would have been patched by now but always defults to keyboard. tbf the developer is 1 man team.