Mac [BUG] Screenshotting on mac

OK I fixed it.

This is dumb but fixable. The previous location on your drive where Stardew Valley kept it's Screenshots was changed or removed by either the macOS or Stardew Valley itself. I think the macOS did this as the root folder leading to that location:

~/.local/share/StardewValley/Screenshots

which is referenced in Odin's post here:

https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/how-to-share-your-farm-and-use-stardew-planner.152/post-716

is no longer being used, specifically that .local folder. I remember it from older macOSes but it's no longer there at all on my 10.15.7 Mac.

But we can put it back!

One step (#4 below) is not going to be familiar to a lot of people, but it you want your Screenshot capability on your Mac, you can do this!

Here goes:

1. In the Finder, select Home from the Go menu (your user folder will open up)
2. Now in your user folder select New Folder from the File menu and name it local (we can't name it .local directly— boo, hiss!)
3. But we can fix that! Search Terminal and open it
4. Enter or copy/paste the following command: mv -i local .local and hit Return/Enter (**see below for an explanation of that we're doing here)
4a. Our new local folder should have disappeared! In Unix filesystems, putting a period before a file or folder name flags it as hidden.
5. Let's find it! Back in your user folder in the Finder, select Go To Folder from the Go menu
6. Type in .local in the box and click Go
7. There it is! Still there, just renamed to be hidden. Make a new folder in there and call it share
8. Open share and make a new folder in there called StardewValley
9. Open StardewValley and make a new folder in there called Screenshots

...aaaand we're done! What have we done? The Stardew Valley screenshot feature is expecting a folder exactly here:

/yourusername/.local/share/StardewValley/Screenshots

just like in that post from 2 years ago. And we just made that folder so Stardew Valley can now use it.

So use it! Try it out in game. Note that the Open Destination Folder option is available again. Woo!
I wanted a dancing Marnie here, but this'll have to do:

** 4aa. What does this command do? mv is move, or rename if the second name doesn't exist already. We're using it for the rename function here. -i just checks to make sure you're not overwriting anything, it will warn you if it will. local is the starting name. .local is the renamed name
It worked! Thank you very much :)

Lew Zealand

Helper
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
i know i'm probably late, but just wanted to show my appreciation :D
i did just make an account to say this haha
i hope you don't mind, but i posted this method to the stardew valley wiki! it might get deleted haha, but if you wouldn't like it being there please just tell me, i'll remove it. i just assumed it would be fine because of some previous replies ^-^

update: it's been rephrased by someone, but it's there! https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Options#Windows.2C_Mac.2C_and_Linux
It worked! Thank you very much :)
You are both very welcome! I'm just happy that everyone can share their farms and this seemed such a silly bug once I found it. Please feel free to share and post it wherever as nobody should need to deal with the frustration of a missing feature that is quickly fixed. I'm glad I could help!

The version in the Wiki is very concise but I wanted to explain a bit because blindly entering Terminal commands is not the best practice.

Atravita

Tiller
Yeah, I just figured it was easier to consolidate the instructions if we're gonna be instructing people to use the Terminal anyways. All mkdir -p does is make a directory and all necessary parent directories. (and from experience, telling people to do anything like "replace the word USERNAME with your username" just confuses people).

There's actually be instructions on the modding part of the wiki for ages that don't involve going through the terminal.

Jaybro

Greenhorn
I tried this command, but it came up with this:
mv: rename local to .local: No such file or directory
not sure how to find screenshots, also the "open destination folder" button doesn't appear either.

edit: i fixed it...the folder is just super hidden and you kinda have to type `open ~/.local/share/StardewValley/Screenshots`

Last edited:

Inkess

Greenhorn
OK I fixed it.

This is dumb but fixable. The previous location on your drive where Stardew Valley kept it's Screenshots was changed or removed by either the macOS or Stardew Valley itself. I think the macOS did this as the root folder leading to that location:

https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/how-to-share-your-farm-and-use-stardew-planner.152/post-716

is no longer being used, specifically that .local folder. I remember it from older macOSes but it's no longer there at all on my 10.15.7 Mac.

But we can put it back!

One step (#4 below) is not going to be familiar to a lot of people, but it you want your Screenshot capability on your Mac, you can do this!

Here goes:

2. Now in your user folder select New Folder from the File menu and name it local (we can't name it .local directly— boo, hiss!)
4. Enter or copy/paste the following command: mv -i local .local and hit Return/Enter (**see below for an explanation of that we're doing here)
4a. Our new local folder should have disappeared! In Unix filesystems, putting a period before a file or folder name flags it as hidden.
5. Let's find it! Back in your user folder in the Finder, select Go To Folder from the Go menu
7. There it is! Still there, just renamed to be hidden. Make a new folder in there and call it share

...aaaand we're done! What have we done? The Stardew Valley screenshot feature is expecting a folder exactly here:

just like in that post from 2 years ago. And we just made that folder so Stardew Valley can now use it.

So use it! Try it out in game. Note that the Open Destination Folder option is available again. Woo!

** 4aa. What does this command do? mv is move, or rename if the second name doesn't exist already. We're using it for the rename function here. -i just checks to make sure you're not overwriting anything, it will warn you if it will. local is the starting name. .local is the renamed name
So I followed all the steps, checked my spelling, but when I type /Users/Katherine/.local/share/StardewValley/Screenshots, nothing comes up and I get that annoying bloop noise. Any idea what I can do? Thanks!

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper
So I followed all the steps, checked my spelling, but when I type /Users/Katherine/.local/share/StardewValley/Screenshots, nothing comes up and I get that annoying bloop noise. Any idea what I can do? Thanks!
Hello Inkess and Welcome to the Forums! Did you make it all the way to Step 9? If so then all you need to do is go into SDV again and try the Screenshot option.

However if you are checking to see that the new folder location was made in the right place, the easiest way to get there is:

Open your Home folder (Katherine in your example above) from the Finder's Go menu
Press Command + Shift + . (this makes hidden items visible)
There should be a grayed out .local folder in there. Open that, then share then StardewValley, then Screenshots

Hopefully you see that. If not, I just updated the original post with the ridiculously easier procedure which I just tried on my Mac and it worked perfectly.

Last edited:

Inkess

Greenhorn
Hello Inkess and Welcome to the Forums! Did you make it all the way to Step 9? If so then all you need to do is go into SDV again and try the Screenshot option.

However if you are checking to see that the new folder location was made in the right place, the easiest way to get there is:

Open your Home folder (Katherine in your example above) from the Finder's Go menu
Press Command + Shift + . (this makes hidden items visible)
There should be a grayed out .local folder in there. Open that, then share then StardewValley, then Screenshots

Hopefully you see that. If not, I just updated the original post with the ridiculously easier procedure which I just tried on my Mac and it worked perfectly.

Thanks for the welcome, that made me smile. :)

Yes the folder is there when I follow those steps, thanks for showing me how to find it! However I don't see an open folder button in game. Also, when I find and open the folder, there are no screenshots in it :(

Should I try the new terminal code to make the folder, or would that cause issues having a duplicate?

Attachments

Lew Zealand

Helper
Thanks for the welcome, that made me smile. :)

Yes the folder is there when I follow those steps, thanks for showing me how to find it! However I don't see an open folder button in game. Also, when I find and open the folder, there are no screenshots in it :(

Should I try the new terminal code to make the folder, or would that cause issues having a duplicate?
The Terminal command should not make a duplicate as I just re-ran it on my Mac and it didn't complain. But that command will make sure the Screenshots folder is created in exactly the correct place, as my previous long-winded instructions made it possible to accidentally introduce a folder name error or similar.

Just Copy and Paste the command into your Terminal and it will make the folder in the right place in one step.

Now if the screenshots feature is still not available in SDV afterwards, I'm not sure what to do next but let's hope this works for you.

Inkess

Greenhorn
The Terminal command should not make a duplicate as I just re-ran it on my Mac and it didn't complain. But that command will make sure the Screenshots folder is created in exactly the correct place, as my previous long-winded instructions made it possible to accidentally introduce a folder name error or similar.

Just Copy and Paste the command into your Terminal and it will make the folder in the right place in one step.

Now if the screenshots feature is still not available in SDV afterwards, I'm not sure what to do next but let's hope this works for you.
Thank you sooo much!! It works now. Cheers!!

YueGuang

Farmhand
OK I fixed it.

is no longer being used, specifically that .local folder. I remember it from older macOSes but it's no longer there at all on my 10.15.7 Mac. But we can put it back!

2023 Edit a new year means making things simpler, thanks to @lavenderine for linking to a much faster way to do my long-winded procedure below.

1. Search Terminal and open it
2. Paste in the following command:

mkdir -p ~/.local/share/StardewValley/Screenshots

and hit Enter.

We have now created the missing Screenshot folder, so use it! Try it out in game. Note that the Open Destination Folder option is available again.

The old 2022 procedure, for archive sake because why delete the evidence of your minimal but not actually great troubleshooting:

Here goes:

Thanks a lot! It's 2024 and still works but... recently I change my graphics mode and I discover that if you have selected inside the game, on settings, graphics: "Fullscreen" on "Window Mode" option, it won't work. Literally it doesn't go and open to the Screenshots folder (even if the screenshot was taken). On Windowed and Windowed Borderless works perfect, tooks the screenshot and opens the folder.
Fullscreen_WindowMode.png