Mac [BUG] Screenshotting on mac

Smiggle2406

Newcomer
Ye so when u take a screenshot in the settings bit on mac it will make the sound but do nothing else and won't show a destination folder button this is in singleplayer on the 1.5.6 I think it has been like this for a while so idk maybe it cant be fixed but I thought I would put this here ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ElGato

Newcomer
Ye so when u take a screenshot in the settings bit on mac it will make the sound but do nothing else and won't show a destination folder button this is in singleplayer on the 1.5.6 I think it has been like this for a while so idk maybe it cant be fixed but I thought I would put this here ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I made an account to reply to this but YESSSSSSSS. Same for me. I really wanna figure out where my screenshots are going :(

Lew Zealand

Helper
I can't find a screenshot anywhere on my Mac. I'll nose around the SDV configs to see if the screenshot folder is pointing to an illegal location or something. This is a weird bug, but definitely a bug.

Lew Zealand

Helper
OK I fixed it.

This is dumb but fixable. The previous location on your drive where Stardew Valley kept it's Screenshots was changed or removed by either the macOS or Stardew Valley itself. I think the macOS did this as the root folder leading to that location:

~/.local/share/StardewValley/Screenshots

which is referenced in Odin's post here:

https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/how-to-share-your-farm-and-use-stardew-planner.152/post-716

is no longer being used, specifically that .local folder. I remember it from older macOSes but it's no longer there at all on my 10.15.7 Mac. But we can put it back!

2023 Edit a new year means making things simpler, thanks to @lavenderine for linking to a much faster way to do my long-winded procedure below.

1. Search Terminal and open it
2. Paste in the following command:

mkdir -p ~/.local/share/StardewValley/Screenshots

and hit Enter.

We have now created the missing Screenshot folder, so use it! Try it out in game. Note that the Open Destination Folder option is available again.

The old 2022 procedure, for archive sake because why delete the evidence of your minimal but not actually great troubleshooting:

One step (#4 below) is not going to be familiar to a lot of people, but it you want your Screenshot capability on your Mac, you can do this!

Here goes:

1. In the Finder, select Home from the Go menu (your user folder will open up)
2. Now in your user folder select New Folder from the File menu and name it local (we can't name it .local directly— boo, hiss!)
3. But we can fix that! Search Terminal and open it
4. Enter or copy/paste the following command: mv -i local .local and hit Return/Enter (**see below for an explanation of that we're doing here)
4a. Our new local folder should have disappeared! In Unix filesystems, putting a period before a file or folder name flags it as hidden.
5. Let's find it! Back in your user folder in the Finder, select Go To Folder from the Go menu
6. Type in .local in the box and click Go
7. There it is! Still there, just renamed to be hidden. Make a new folder in there and call it share
8. Open share and make a new folder in there called StardewValley
9. Open StardewValley and make a new folder in there called Screenshots

...aaaand we're done! What have we done? The Stardew Valley screenshot feature is expecting a folder exactly here:

/yourusername/.local/share/StardewValley/Screenshots

just like in that post from 2 years ago. And we just made that folder so Stardew Valley can now use it.

So use it! Try it out in game. Note that the Open Destination Folder option is available again. Woo!
I wanted a dancing Marnie here, but this'll have to do:

** 4aa. What does this command do? mv is move, or rename if the second name doesn't exist already. We're using it for the rename function here. -i just checks to make sure you're not overwriting anything, it will warn you if it will. local is the starting name. .local is the renamed name

Last edited:

ashleyrocky

Farmhand
OK I fixed it.

This is dumb but fixable. The previous location on your drive where Stardew Valley kept it's Screenshots was changed or removed by either the macOS or Stardew Valley itself. I think the macOS did this as the root folder leading to that location:

https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/how-to-share-your-farm-and-use-stardew-planner.152/post-716

is no longer being used, specifically that .local folder. I remember it from older macOSes but it's no longer there at all on my 10.15.7 Mac.

But we can put it back!

One step (#4 below) is not going to be familiar to a lot of people, but it you want your Screenshot capability on your Mac, you can do this!

Here goes:

2. Now in your user folder select New Folder from the File menu and name it local (we can't name it .local directly— boo, hiss!)
4. Enter or copy/paste the following command: mv -i local .local and hit Return/Enter (**see below for an explanation of that we're doing here)
4a. Our new local folder should have disappeared! In Unix filesystems, putting a period before a file or folder name flags it as hidden.
5. Let's find it! Back in your user folder in the Finder, select Go To Folder from the Go menu
7. There it is! Still there, just renamed to be hidden. Make a new folder in there and call it share

...aaaand we're done! What have we done? The Stardew Valley screenshot feature is expecting a folder exactly here:

just like in that post from 2 years ago. And we just made that folder so Stardew Valley can now use it.

So use it! Try it out in game. Note that the Open Destination Folder option is available again. Woo!

** 4aa. What does this command do? mv is move, or rename if the second name doesn't exist already. We're using it for the rename function here. -i just checks to make sure you're not overwriting anything, it will warn you if it will. local is the starting name. .local is the renamed name
Thank you for this! I was having so much trouble trying to take screenshots and I just couldn't figure it out!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

vickymocelin

Greenhorn
OK I fixed it.

is no longer being used, specifically that .local folder. I remember it from older macOSes but it's no longer there at all on my 10.15.7 Mac.

But we can put it back!

Here goes:

You're a hero

haleyisonline

Greenhorn
OK I fixed it.

But we can put it back!

Here goes:

you. are. a. LIFE SAVER! thank you!

eliselil

Greenhorn
OK I fixed it.

But we can put it back!

Here goes:

Hi @Lew Zealand , I just register to say an ENORMOUS THANK YOU !! It's been months since I was trying to find a solution for these damned screenshot, was super sad that i couldn't look at my 5 years farm... and now thanks to you i finally can ! I am so happy ! Thank you ! Will spread the word (can i eventually copy paste your step to step guide on others forums, mentionning the source of course ?) Thank you again.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Hi @Lew Zealand , I just register to say an ENORMOUS THANK YOU !! It's been months since I was trying to find a solution for these damned screenshot, was super sad that i couldn't look at my 5 years farm... and now thanks to you i finally can ! I am so happy ! Thank you ! Will spread the word (can i eventually copy paste your step to step guide on others forums, mentionning the source of course ?) Thank you again.
You may copy and paste it wherever you like, I just want people to be able to use the feature. More screenshots for everyone!

And a big welcome to the forums!

ryjas

Greenhorn
OK I fixed it.

But we can put it back!

Here goes:

oh my god. thank you SO SO MUCH

abbyisdoge

Greenhorn
OK I fixed it.

But we can put it back!

Here goes:

i just made a forum account solely to express my gratitude for you... wow. this is lifesaving. i've been so frustrated trying to figure out where my screenshots are going, only for them to have not been going anywhere in the first place! thank you SO much for providing us with a real, working fix! :heart:

zandrasaur

Cowpoke
OK I fixed it.

But we can put it back!

Here goes:

Created an account here just to thank you!!!!!! <3 God bless your heart

Lew Zealand

Helper
I write instructions so I can follow them in 6 months' time after I've forgotten everything and not make any mistakes. Of course I had to do this just now as I installed SDV on a Mac I hadn't used for a while and lo and behold the Screenshot wasn't working. FYI for those curious, you can do this while SDV is running and as soon as you make that Screenshots folder, you can immediately take a screenshot and it works, no need to lose a day's progress.

I wanted the screenshot as on this Mac I have an early 2019 baby version of Flim Flam Farm I've been working on recently.

Chattyparrot

Newcomer
OK I fixed it.

But we can put it back!

Here goes:

Is there anything I’m missing. It works for me up to the part where I try to find the .local folder. It says it works in terminal when I rename it but when I search for it through the “Go to Folder…” section on the finder, it says that no such files exist. I tried this 2 times and I followed all the other steps by the way. I’m also on macOS 10.14.6 as well. Thanks for the guide though.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Is there anything I’m missing. It works for me up to the part where I try to find the .local folder. It says it works in terminal when I rename it but when I search for it through the “Go to Folder…” section on the finder, it says that no such files exist. I tried this 2 times and I followed all the other steps by the way. I’m also on macOS 10.14.6 as well. Thanks for the guide though.
Hi Chattyparrot and Welcome to the Forums!

Just before doing the Go to Folder step, make sure the folder window that is open and on top in the Finder is your user folder, the one that is the same name as your username and contains the Documents and Music and Downloads folders in it, among others.

The .local folder that we're trying to open is located in that folder as well, it's just hidden from the Finder with that pesky period/dot '.' in front of the 'local' part of the name.

lavenderine

Greenhorn
OK I fixed it.

But we can put it back!

Here goes:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
i know i'm probably late, but just wanted to show my appreciation :D
i did just make an account to say this haha
i hope you don't mind, but i posted this method to the stardew valley wiki! it might get deleted haha, but if you wouldn't like it being there please just tell me, i'll remove it. i just assumed it would be fine because of some previous replies ^-^

update: it's been rephrased by someone, but it's there! https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Options#Windows.2C_Mac.2C_and_Linux

Last edited: