Catching The Legend as your first fish

Lerura

Farmhand
Yup, this was very similar to the strategy I had, if more calculated out. Unfortunately, any fish with an item ID of 152 or higher automatically gets turned into a sunfish and unfortunately, the Legend has an ID of 163 :(
I have caught Seaweed (ID 152) on my very first throw several times, so I'm not so sure about the ID>=152 limitation

BlaDe

Farmer
I have caught Seaweed (ID 152) on my very first throw several times, so I'm not so sure about the ID>=152 limitation
What location?

The crab pot fish and seaweed when fishing on the beach farm also bypass the replacement.

I'm here to breathe life back into it.

Yes, fish with an id of 152 or higher gets replaced with a sunfish, but this is only for fish that are pulled from the fish file (which will be most of your catches).

The Legend has its own checks to see if it is hooked. These checks bypass the replacement.

You can hook the Legend as your first fish.
YES!!! Thank you so much, BlaDe! I really appreciate this!

Lerura

Farmhand
What location?

The crab pot fish and seaweed when fishing on the beach farm also bypass the replacement.
Don't know about the beach Farm as I have only played the standard farm.

But I have done it from just left of Willy's Shop thrice, from the dead end dock to the left of it once, and also from the right dock once.

Ereo

Helper
Started trying this today.

Currently on day 17. The only thing missing for the crab pot bundle is the cockle. Well see whether it will show up or I can find something else at the traveling cart.
I have Linus at two hearts (managed to talk to him every day I think and gave 2 liked gifts that were at least silver quality).

Searched the trash cans each day and found a couple of green algae, but no seaweed yet. So no fishponds yet.

I also thought maybe doing Joja (after completing the crab pot bundle) might be a good idea to really concentrate on the crab pots. Trying the tea bush strategy, but I missed Caroline a couple of days and gave no quality gifts, she is still at 1 heart. I planned mostly the wild seeds because of this.

Mines are at level 50 and the only tool I upgraded is the pickaxe. Really missing the cash from fishing and selling forage...

Well, I finally had the time to start this yesterday. Legend III (my character) has been in the valley for about 11 days and is working on figuring out how to make money without fishing. I've decided that I'm going to completely bypass the fish pond because getting 5 seaweed from trash cans is going to take waaaaaaaaay too long. Befriending Linus is a slow process for the wild bait, but I'm definitely making progress. I made it down to floor 55 of the mines and have about 70 potatoes ready to harvest on the 13th, just in time for strawberries to be planted. I will continue to update you guys as I make progress.

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper
Well, I finally had the time to start this yesterday. Legend III (my character) has been in the valley for about 11 days and is working on figuring out how to make money without fishing. I've decided that I'm going to completely bypass the fish pond because getting 5 seaweed from trash cans is going to take waaaaaaaaay too long. Befriending Linus is a slow process for the wild bait, but I'm definitely making progress. I made it down to floor 55 of the mines and have about 70 potatoes ready to harvest on the 13th, just in time for strawberries to be planted. I will continue to update you guys as I make progress.
That sounds like it's going pretty well so far! Are you using Forage to befriend Linus because, while it takes some time with only 2 Gifts allowed per week, he does like all Forage which is readily available. And you may be upgrading to Silver or even Gold Star Foraging with some Tree chopping getting that Foraging XP up.

Ereo

Helper
I am at the beginning of summer now. Found the cockle for the crab pot bundle the day after writing my post here, so complaining did work ;)

I still haven't found a single seaweed in trash cans, so I went fishing for it and just cancelled the Minigame everytime it came up. Now I have a pond with one crab in it. The trash can gave me two sun fish, and I have a catfish from the traveling cart. Maybe it'll get used for more fish ponds.

I have fishing level 1 from the crab pots which I just put behind the house for easy reach (river farm). Bait is a bit of a problem, because Linus recipe needs fibre and I was also making tea saplings so fibre is scarce. Tea saplings do give insane amounts of money for the beginning though.

Got to level 100 or 105 in the mine, have the pickaxe upgraded to gold, hoe and axe to steel. Still waiting for a rainy day to upgrade the watering can.

I found an ancient seed in spring which will produce the first fruit soon. I built a coop on one of the islands.

Which farm are you using? I second Lew on the gifts for Linus, gold or silver gifts are possible with forage. I think it took me until the fourth week of spring to get his recipe.

I am at the beginning of summer now. Found the cockle for the crab pot bundle the day after writing my post here, so complaining did work ;)

I still haven't found a single seaweed in trash cans, so I went fishing for it and just cancelled the Minigame everytime it came up. Now I have a pond with one crab in it. The trash can gave me two sun fish, and I have a catfish from the traveling cart. Maybe it'll get used for more fish ponds.

I have fishing level 1 from the crab pots which I just put behind the house for easy reach (river farm). Bait is a bit of a problem, because Linus recipe needs fibre and I was also making tea saplings so fibre is scarce. Tea saplings do give insane amounts of money for the beginning though.

Got to level 100 or 105 in the mine, have the pickaxe upgraded to gold, hoe and axe to steel. Still waiting for a rainy day to upgrade the watering can.

I found an ancient seed in spring which will produce the first fruit soon. I built a coop on one of the islands.

Which farm are you using? I second Lew on the gifts for Linus, gold or silver gifts are possible with forage. I think it took me until the fourth week of spring to get his recipe.
I am definitely using a lot of my forage for gifting to Linus,I am now at 1 heart because of a couple of high-quality gifts. I think I may try getting seaweed the same way you did because It's becoming very irritating. And yes, I haven't been doing tea saplings because I'm saving up for the bait. I'm using the riverland farm, and I did it because of space for crab pots.

Two things:

1) I fear that catching seaweed via the fishing rod may mean that it no longer, from the game's perspective, counts it as your first catch. You can test this of course by fishing on floor 20 of the mines, and seeing if the fishing minigame still has its tutorial on when you snag a stonefish, and if it gets replaced by a sunfish, normally uncatchable in that area. Mind giving it a whirl and letting us know if the seaweed farm did or did not interfere with those mechanics?

2) Why focusing on the money? Just for fun, or is there something in particular you're trying to buy or saving up for related to the challenge in question? I ask out of curiosity, certainly there's nothing wrong with going ham on money, I just can't envision what you'd buy with it which would be particularly helpful for this challenge is all.

Thanks for sharing your progress!

Ereo

Helper
If I understand @BlaDe in another threat correctly, the mine fish will overwrite the first fish just like the legend does. I'm happy to try with another fish if you name one.

I don't really mind what the game thinks my first catch is, as long as the legend is the first (real) fish appearing in the collection.

For the second point, I also wanted to try out the tea thing, and Joja, and marry someone I haven't married before. I get bored easily ;) it's gonna be a fully functional farm even if it didn't need to be.

Elenna101

Farmer
I find that level 80 of the mines is a nice place to grind for fiber if you need some.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Yes, fish can escape. So the seaweed does seem to count as a fish caught?
Phew, I'm glad that I didn't do that then.
I would also be worried about harvesting crab pots that do not contain trash.
In that case, I will empty a crab pot that has a crustacean in it, and immediately attempt to fish something. If the progress bar moves down then I will restart the day. If that happens then this going to be a lot harder than I expected, but no matter. I will continue trying.

Ereo

Helper
Phew, I'm glad that I didn't do that then.

In that case, I will empty a crab pot that has a crustacean in it, and immediately attempt to fish something. If the progress bar moves down then I will restart the day. If that happens then this going to be a lot harder than I expected, but no matter. I will continue trying.
If the crab pots are indeed a problem I'm not sure you can get to the level were you can make more before they're all filled up with fish. Is there a way to get them back without taking the fish?

Does anyone know how rare seaweed is in the trash cans? The predictor (which I know isn't entirely accurate because if the luck factor) predicts green algae quite frequently for the next year, but it never predicts seaweed.

BlaDe

Farmer
Seaweed is in the same list as fish and mushrooms and metal bars. It will be rare.

You may be best sleeping and getting it to spawn around the tide pools, or on the beach farm. Another option is to joja mart your way to the island and forage it from the challenge mines.