which farm?

Tinks

Planter
I've looked at the layouts and I like the Forest farm cos it offers the infinite hardwood...but don't know how hard that is to get if I don't have them?? ...and apparently you need to upgrade your tools before you can chop them?

It has alot of grass and ponds and I'm planning on eventually more animals than crops. small ponds as duck ponds...grass areas for cows, sheep that would eat the grass!

Or the one with your own little quarry so I don't have to worry about mining straight away and could possibly later put a building on there?

I figured I'd need more wood first for building barns than rocks and stones??? which is most important or hardest to get if not already on your farm?

hexnessie

Farmer
If it's your absolutely first farm, I recommend the standard layout. It has a lot of wood, and a lot of space that can be used for anything - farming, fish ponds, animal buildings, sheds etc.

Hardwood is not going to be a big issue. You are going to need the Steel Axe to chop the tree stumps anyway - and once you do, you can go into the Secret Woods every day to get some hardwood and seeds to plant your own mahogany tree.

Once you are more comfortable with daily farming life, I like the forest farm a lot because it's really self-sufficient - it has mushrooms (including the rare morels), fishing opportunities, nice space for farming, special weed (erm, not that kind) which always give you mixed seeds, and it just looks nice.

Hardwood is not that Hard (pun intended) to get in significant quantities. Certainly not hard enough to base your decision entirely around that, unless you have an idea for a farm concept in mind which requires Absurd quantities of it.

That being said, the same is true of rocks and stone, and wood, to a lesser extent. None of the farm maps offer something Unique which can't be obtained elsewhere. However, though you can farm a limitless amount of stone, wood is both needed in significantly higher quantities for most of my farm concepts and far more limited in availability. Plus, excess hardwood can be converted into regular wood, and you otherwise only have a very limited amount of hardwood available per day. It's just that most of the reason you'd want Huge amounts of wood (significantly beyond the amount of the map to naturally sustain it) is because of making Huge amounts of Kegs or Preserves Jars, which is warranted if and only if you have large quantities of crops as well space to house all those machines. As such the forest farm, with less than half the number of tillable tiles as the regular farm, is likely to need significantly less wood, ironically devaluing the very benefit it provides.

That is not at all to say that it's a bad idea, if you haven't played the forest farm before go for it and have fun! I'm just pointing out that it is by no means vital to choose it, the "best" map for massive profits is undoubtedly the standard map, the other maps are designed to offer unique and different play experiences, not substantially more power or profit than you would normally have. I apologize that it's unhelpful feedback. The short version: If it's your first time playing, I'd stick to the standard farm. It's a great map and excellent for first timers. If you've done that already and are looking for a new experience, that's where the Forest Farm will shine, as well as the Hilltop farm. If you're choosing between those two, personally I'd go with the forest farm.

I hope that helps, and enjoy!

Tom

Farmer
I usually play the Standard farm map. I really liked the Forest Farm the one time I played it despite its limited crop area. I didn't really like the Hilltop Farm. I recently tried 4 Corners and really like it too. Once I played the Riverland map on multi-player, but not long enough to get over the initial confusion. That's all I have tried.

Lew Zealand

Helper
For the first playthrough I recommend the Standard Farm as it's the classic introduction to the game. You need a couple of upgrades to access Hardwood that way but there's just tons of space for Farming. However the Forest Farm does get you a slow but constant supply of Hardwood with only one upgrade but that quickly ceases to be a particularly meaningful resource, at least in my current Forest Farm. They remain unloved and unchopped and I haven't found that leaving them to lie fallow is helping mushrooms spawn on the Farm any more quickly.

I've also played the Hilltop Farm with the Quarry space and again, it was nice but not a meaningful improvement over the Mines.

IMO the Forage spawning feature of the Forest Farm is better than either that Farm's Hardwood or the Hilltop Farm's Quarry, plus I like the darker aesthetic of the Forest Farm vs. the Standard Farm and the land-use annoyances of the Hilltop Farm.

Ah, but the coup de grace! Neither of these alternate farms are of particular use to your final statement as you don't use Hardwood for Barns or Coops. Only regular Wood. So start with the regular farm, which I think has a larger number of trees spawn on it to start. You also need Stone for Coop and Barn but the additional stone from the Hilltop Quarry isn't that great and the spawn rates are low. The Mine is simply a better option for Stone.

The only other option for quick Barn and Coop is to make a lot of money early and just buy the extra Stone and Wood from Robin for the structures, as you need money to build them anyway. I'm not good at Min/Maxing money as I'm a lazy sod of a Farmer, but I have one moneymaking strategy which has been great this recent playthrough, and all credit goes to Wickedy Chickady's YT channel:

Tea Sapling

Only need 2:heart: with Caroline (easy with Daffodils) and she sends you the recipe:

2 Wild Seeds
5 Wood
5 Fiber

Tea Sapling sells for 500g! :g::g::g::g::g:

This game is broken!

Tinks

Planter
Thanks....so what is the newer 4 corners one? a little bit of each? and can you only use it if you're gonna be in co-op? Haven't seen a full layout for that one, think the video I saw only offered 4 but I heard there was newer layouts after. Will have to go check it out before the game arrives!

Looks wise I personally do prefer the look of the Forest Farm I can see lot of animals roaming round free-range but that would more suite me than my highly organised and tidy 'father figure'.

Someone said you can have more than one save file..is that under the same name on the switch? or would I have to create another name to have the second file and the character from the second file won't be in the same game at the same time? (like AC).

Can't wait to get started!... I may end up with 2 files then I can play on whichever farm I feel like, as either my dads character (calling them 'Kenny & Penny'! :) ) or as my adult self - the recluse, on the wild overgrown farm just full of free range animals wandering around..lol! ..I might let the non-human character live with me in that version so I don't have to get married!! and my 'Hermit self' loves the idea of foraging in a magical forest with just animals and magical elfs!

but my dad was all about practicality so probably makes sense to go with the standard one for 'his farm'! I will go check out the 4 corners layout quickly though before I decide!

Thanks for your help! :smile:

Ereo

Helper
4 corners is very organized. It has a little bit of each map. I think it lends itself well for a segmented farm and is also beginner friendly.

If you prefer animals over crops, the forest farm is a good choice. Just keep in mind that grass (the tall grass the animals eat) will not grow on green grassy tiles. You can plant it but it won't spread.

You can have several farms, and each has their own farmer character.

Really, you're overthinking ;) just start a farm and have fun, and then try other maps and other playstyles as you go.

Tinks

Planter
4 corners is very organized. It has a little bit of each map. I think it lends itself well for a segmented farm and is also beginner friendly.

If you prefer animals over crops, the forest farm is a good choice. Just keep in mind that grass (the tall grass the animals eat) will not grow on green grassy tiles. You can plant it but it won't spread.

You can have several farms, and each has their own farmer character.

Really, you're overthinking ;) just start a farm and have fun, and then try other maps and other playstyles as you go.

yeah sorry..lol! I got the 'over-thinking, head-in-the-clouds brain' ..my bro inherited our fathers logical, organised, hard worker brain!!! :laugh:

Looking at 4 corners farm I think it might help me organise it better, so its super tidy and efficient for Kenny & Penny!! I found an example of one online actually from this forum called 'Luna Farm' so that's helped to give me ideas for that farm is going.

Mine will end up looking more like a free range zoo..totally disorganised with animals running round all over the place!!

Just waiting for delivery (bought cartridge version) ..it's on its way! :smile:

Tom

Farmer
4 Corners
You can choose it for single player.
I like:
  • The division of the farm into quadrants makes management easier on my mind. It's like I'm "going down to work on the southwest 40 today". It feels more "cozy" to me. The Standard Farm is a bit huge.
  • The divisions are like built-in fences. I just like that.
  • The space feels better (more expansive) than the hilltop, riverland, and forest maps. I assume this is born out by the numbers.
  • The percs aren't much, but they are psychologically cool. One respawning hardwood stump (no forage that I have seen), a little rock quarry, and presumably better than normal farm fishing.
I don't like:
  • I can foresee in late game wishing I had unbroken expanses north to south for keg-running.
Tom_12-26-2021_68484963.png
Tom

Last edited:

imnvs

Local Legend
4-Corners, I have to back this up, is a wonderful starter farm. You get free hardwood and free mining nodes, including nodes you can't find anywhere else. It is like Mary Poppins, practically perfect in every way.

Tinks

Planter
Thanks I've started the Forest Farm first just exploring and finding out where everything is. I will use the 4 corners farm though for my next farm which will be more quest driven for making money, building up the house and marrying one of the NPC's.

I havent decided whether to have both games on the go at the same time or do one first then the next. Though started with the one that doesn't really have any game plan!

Would I have to make a new player on the switch home menu to have a second file of this game?

Lew Zealand

Helper
Here's my Forest Farm on Fall 24 as one an example of Lazy Farming. I do like this map a lot. The Purplerooms are just a lucky day but there have been a few of those days which I appreciate! Note the Cat confinement to keep it from getting underfoot too much.

Relative to Tom's mention of going booze-free, I do Pumpkin Juicing by this time in the game in the Kegs to keep the new First Years at Hogwarts lubed up.

Bobbi_Florest_Flarm.png

Hill Myna

Farmer
I havent decided whether to have both games on the go at the same time or do one first then the next. Though started with the one that doesn't really have any game plan!
I recommend playing one through at least until Year 3, so you have plenty of time to see what you like and don't like before you start anew. Then you can learn from your mistakes and have a different (although not necessarily better) experience!
Would I have to make a new player on the switch home menu to have a second file of this game?
No, you can have multiple farms on the same user.

I hope this helps, have fun!

Boo1972

Farmer
[QUOTE="Lew Zealand, post: 62152, member: 2414"
I'm not good at Min/Maxing money as I'm a lazy sod of a Farmer, but I have one moneymaking strategy which has been great this recent playthrough, and all credit goes to Wickedy Chickady's YT channel:

Tea Sapling

[/QUOTE]
I saw this video too (she’s my fave) and wanted to give this strategy a try. My current beach farm play through is going far too smoothly. I need a challenge. Initially, the plan was to marry Haley as quickly possible, chose the Hilltop farm (Haley would approve of the aesthetics), and make money my normal way. But if I’m using the tea sapling strategy, maybe I should choose the standard or forest farm layout? You’re giving it a try, what do you think?

Lew Zealand

Helper
I love Wickedy, especially her accent! My current playthrough is my first new one just playing the game in a year but it feels like I have way more money on this Forest Farm thanks to the Tea Saplings than in previous playthroughs. I was into early Summer Year 1 when I saw Wickedy's video so I'd accumulated a lot of the needed materials, especially as I'd only planted Veggies and Fruit and had finished some of the relevant Community Center bundles. When I converted those to Tea Saplings, well, I just bought the last Backpack upgrade, Iridium Rod, and first Coop upgrade that day. And easily upgraded the Coop and Barn once more each. Really what I'm short of nowadays is Wood, not g. Hence why my Farm looks like this right now:

All other trees on the maps are cut down and I need to plant more here or at the Train Crossing.

Edit: my typical Facepalm 🤦‍♀️, I didn't realize I was in the same thread with the same pic. I'll just leave this here to remind myself to open my eyes a little more next time... Sheesh.......

Last edited:

Tinks

Planter
I recommend playing one through at least until Year 3, so you have plenty of time to see what you like and don't like before you start anew. Then you can learn from your mistakes and have a different (although not necessarily better) experience!

No, you can have multiple farms on the same user.

I hope this helps, have fun!
Actually I think I may have started my farms the wrong way round! ... current farm is just the hermit farmer just loves animals no particular plan.... other farm is going to be my 'Kenny & Penny Quest' end goal just to be.. upgrade farm, marry Penny and have 2 kids as long as that is achieved in that game I'm not too bothered about what happens with other elements of it but obviously it would give me an idea where to go with my Forest Farm game if I like something in particular!..or don't.

Ideally the Forest Farm would be the slower moving/relaxing/chill out game as other than having all the animals on it eventually I don't have any particular plans for the rest of that story.

Hazy

Farmhand
I like the classic standard farm. It's great. Lots of space. It's an empty canvas. Perhaps one could argue it's not as interesting as some of the other layouts, but I've played the most on that one, and it's still my overall favorite.

That being said, the other farm types have their benefits and appeal.

I would also recommend either Four Corners or Forest as well as other good layouts.

This is my standard farm if you'd like to look at possible inspiration to help you pick a layout.

idyllicacresstandardfarm.png