Solved What's wrong with the grass?

MochiBubs

Farmhand
So basically I downloaded a farm, and really love playing it, but the grass is rather immersion-breaking.

It clips over and under various titles, and is quite annoying, to say the least.

I honestly don't know what's causing it. I looked at the map in tiled and didn't see anything that would cause this.

Is there any way I can fix this? I have three seasons on this map and don't want to lose all of that progress. :(

Screenshot (8).png

AhoyDee

Greenhorn
Still relatively new to the game here too but I highly suggest you clip it with a scythe, is that working for you where it is in the weird spots or can you not get to them? I think they grow randomly everywhere. I noticed when I started mine was similar!

Looks like a conflict with the grass tile and how its layered, instead of being placed behind the objects, they were placed over top. Thats why you see the weird clipping, the base of the grass is the main tile while the top is more of a 'decorative'. There's something similar happening with the trees on the left, the top of the oak tree is clipping into the decorative pink tree.

Can I ask what map you're using?

mouse

Farmer
Fences (and similar) you can walk on both sides of will be made of tiles on the building layer (the bottom part you can't walk through) and the tiles on the front layer (the part on top that renders over you when you come from above). Grass goes in front of building layers (you need it to, for when you are planting it in front of the fence!)

If you turn off your mods and walk to the bus stop or into town and plant grass all along the fence (or in front of trees or trash cans or etc for that matter), it will clip through the bottom. It's usually covered up by front tiles in inaccessible-southerly areas, but if the player can stand in front of/under it, that tile will go on top of them -- which isn't usually the look you want, hehe.

1616952853634.png

Without using additional mods to give you more map flexibility, most map makers are choosing between left (vanilla) and right (front) or avoiding it altogether via inaccessible areas and carefully placed decor. Or just not having built-ins and leaving that for players, of course :)

Since the right option always sucks even if people don't plant grass, left is probably most common. If they're willing to add more dependencies for their map than just Content Patcher, they can require another mod that lets them add more map layers, which is the only way I know of to get to happy middle at this time. I don't think it's usually in the forefront of anyone's mind, though, and you can often find little layering issues here and there even without more dynamic elements like grass and trees :D

As a player I don't think there's anything you can do except trim your grass and/or use creative placement of decor (especially paths, to make a buffer between grass-OK areas and places it would clip hideously), but it's not a difficult map edit if you want to take a stab at option B!

Last edited:

MochiBubs

Farmhand
Still relatively new to the game here too but I highly suggest you clip it with a scythe, is that working for you where it is in the weird spots or can you not get to them? I think they grow randomly everywhere. I noticed when I started mine was similar!
I did that for a while but honestly just got sick of having to do that every day when I toured my farm.

MochiBubs

Farmhand
Looks like a conflict with the grass tile and how its layered, instead of being placed behind the objects, they were placed over top. Thats why you see the weird clipping, the base of the grass is the main tile while the top is more of a 'decorative'. There's something similar happening with the trees on the left, the top of the oak tree is clipping into the decorative pink tree.

Can I ask what map you're using?

MochiBubs

Farmhand
Fences (and similar) you can walk on both sides of will be made of tiles on the building layer (the bottom part you can't walk through) and the tiles on the front layer (the part on top that renders over you when you come from above). Grass goes in front of building layers (you need it to, for when you are planting it in front of the fence!)

If you turn off your mods and walk to the bus stop or into town and plant grass all along the fence (or in front of trees or trash cans or etc for that matter), it will clip through the bottom. It's usually covered up by front tiles in inaccessible-southerly areas, but if the player can stand in front of/under it, that tile will go on top of them -- which isn't usually the look you want, hehe.

Without using additional mods to give you more map flexibility, most map makers are choosing between left (vanilla) and right (front) or avoiding it altogether via inaccessible areas and carefully placed decor. Or just not having built-ins and leaving that for players, of course :)

Since the right option always sucks even if people don't plant grass, left is probably most common. If they're willing to add more dependencies for their map than just Content Patcher, they can require another mod that lets them add more map layers, which is the only way I know of to get to happy middle at this time. I don't think it's usually in the forefront of anyone's mind, though, and you can often find little layering issues here and there even without more dynamic elements like grass and trees :D

As a player I don't think there's anything you can do except trim your grass and/or use creative placement of decor (especially paths, to make a buffer between grass-OK areas and places it would clip hideously), but it's not a difficult map edit if you want to take a stab at option B!
I'm ok with trying that myself. I looked into it and the only mod that could help add more layers was TMXLoader... but I'm not sure how to use that to add layers. All I want is to add more layers, and while I know how to go into tiled and add them, I don't know how to get the game to recognize them. Any tips?

mouse

Farmer
You don't actually need TMXL installed, just PyTK, and then it's just a matter of adding a property on the layer. I have an explanation of that part here.

MochiBubs

Farmhand
You don't actually need TMXL installed, just PyTK, and then it's just a matter of adding a property on the layer. I have an explanation of that part here.
Screenshot (298).png

I made a layer (I figured it would have to be between building and front) and gave it the properties shown. Problem is, the grass still shows. Do you think that there is another custom property I can add to perhaps fix it?

mouse

Farmer
I suggest removing the DrawAbove property and renaming DrawBelow to DrawBefore. You should only have one, but it needs to be called the right thing :)

MochiBubs

Farmhand
I suggest removing the DrawAbove property and renaming DrawBelow to DrawBefore. You should only have one, but it needs to be called the right thing :)
I cannot begin to express how grateful I am. It's kind of sad but I've spent at least 10 hours trying to fix this problem. I even considered learning C++ to code a mod to reprogram grass entirely because it bothered me that much. But your advice worked and now I'm FREEEEEEEE.

Thanks Again!

I Fixed The Grass.png