What do you usually do during online classes?

Anhaga

Rancher
Y'all are making me sad. Be kind to your instructors; teaching online absolutely sucks, and having students not even trying to stay engaged makes it worse. Online school is a cruddy thing, I hear you on that, but it's a cruddy thing from both ends! I don't miss teaching online at all now that I've escaped that profession. It was awful, partly because I had no good ways to pull back in students who were drifting or having trouble.

Greek and Latin should be studied because a LOT of words in modern languages have their roots in those languages. You can, with the proper education in those languages, know what a modern word means without having ever heard/read the word before just because you can recognize where it came from.
For me it is Arabic. My first language is Hebrew and many words came from Arabic.

I always play Minecraft with my friends during online class. Also I enjoy reading stardew forums while doing them. Fun fact, I am having an ancient Greek lesson right now while writing this thread.
i usually "take notes" which is really just me starting by writing things related to the lesson and then ending up doodling on the page oops

Ralij

Cowpoke
The last online class I had was spent submitting everything weeks in advance followed by trying to get the professor to care enough to take it seriously and do his job. Unresponsive professors during a 24 credit hour semester was...fun. It makes me cry a little that nobody pays attention in history though. But that would explain why we keep repeating it.

Delenda est Carthago! History and latin lesson all in one.

petridish

Greenhorn
For me it’s pretty hard to concentrate during online classes. I mean, when the teacher is asking other people, or we are doing some self-study, I often find myself getting distracted. It’s just hard being focused, when you have so many options online, such as social media platforms, entertaining websites and forums. Recently, I was taking a course on this online educational platform alu.edu, and for the first time, I couldn’t get involved in other activities. The way of teaching there, and how the classes are organized don’t allow for any distractions. I was surprised to see how much better I perform when I am really present and focused on the study subject.

Last edited:

Anhaga

Rancher
The last online class I had was spent submitting everything weeks in advance followed by trying to get the professor to care enough to take it seriously and do his job. Unresponsive professors during a 24 credit hour semester was...fun. It makes me cry a little that nobody pays attention in history though. But that would explain why we keep repeating it.

Delenda est Carthago! History and latin lesson all in one.
When I was still teaching, I regularly had students thank me for being so responsive . . . it was shocking, as our university had rules about how we had to reply to student contact within 24 hours during the week and 48 hours on the weekends. I had no idea how those other instructors were staying employed, given the number of bots our employer used to check up on whether or not we were meeting their (often arbitrary) metrics for communication and classroom engagement.

Quirinea

Farmer
I always play Minecraft with my friends during online class. Also I enjoy reading stardew forums while doing them. Fun fact, I am having an ancient Greek lesson right now while writing this thread.
Makes me want to answer to you with an insult in Ancient Greek 😈

A good way to stay on task during classes (because classes are important) is to note take, and if that's not exciting enough, to visually note take (draw your notes too)... as in, take bullet point notes and when there's a lag, draw small images of what point is currently being talked about, beside it. So if they're talking about the pharaohs in Egypt, try to quick-draw the outline of a pharaoh's head or some image shown in the lesson (or text book), beside the note you took about it, until the next point comes along, then leave your drawing and take the next point.

Believe it or not, this does aid memory, having both notes and visuals (as long as you don't let the drawing part get you off task, and that's why you leave whatever you were drawing when the next point comes). It can also keep you present in the work. My university president did this, constantly, so I tried it. It helped keep me listening and on-task during boring stuff, and, I remembered it better for tests and exams!

Quirinea

Farmer
This post was like ages ago but how do you know insults in ancient greek?
I have studied some Ancient Greek, of course! Oh yeah, in the elementary book there was a sentence "It is clear that the poet is mad". Easy to transform into "you are mad". And in another chapter "Go to the ravens" (from a play!). You can guess what that actually means. Yeah. I wonder why those are the things I best remember!