Writing Tips for writing stories!

Tips For Writing Stories

I. Introduction

If this is your first time writing, I shall help you develop your story here. Little tips on writing and how to properly get stories out with some finesse. I am, by NO MEANS, not a professional writer. I've just been doing it for years and REALLY enjoy it. We'll go over Settings, Characters, Themes, and how to execute stories in different perspectives as well as how to get into a creative mindset. I hope you enjoy, and feel free to post anything I may have missed (for those other veteran writers). And, without further ado, let us begin with the first topic: Creative Mindset!

II. Creative Mindset

Now, most folks think this step is unimportant to produce ANY semblance of a story. False. Even with short stories, lore, anecdotes(not all are REAL), a good creative mindset is KEY! Basically, everyone has their own way to get into this mindset. Whether it be with music, watching a favored show/film, or even reading another novel/book that gives them inspiration. You must always ENJOY doing such things. If you are writing for any reason but your own pleasure, you will not do as well as you can. You must really enjoy the thought of making this creation, your own thoughts and ideas. Remember, loving what you're doing will show more in your work than doing something for views or for another purpose (I.e school, some people hate writing papers).

III. Themes

Once you are in the mindset you feel most comfortable with, then begins the gear turning idea machine that is YOUR BRAIN! Yes, once you activate the creative juices, it will be hard to turn them off. Now, during this zone of enjoyment, you will already begin to feel out ideas of things you wish to write about. I, for example, have a drink or two, listen to music/watch a film...and before ya know it I am inspired! Everyone is different so, remember: do something comfortable for that Creative Thinking! Anyway, with themes, your mind will begin to gravitate towards a feeling. Typically the emotion you come across will center on your theme if you listen to yourself. Anger, sadness, fear, revenge, happiness, these will help you center your theme and allow you to use your emotions to write it. When emotions come out, they help the writing REALLY COME ALIVE! So stick with your theme and you will be ready to go, it will generally make creating characters and setting THAT much easier! Now, moving on to the very next creative process to writing: Settings and Characters!

IV. Characters & Settings

Now these, they tend to follow the theme quite easily. It just comes together. however, if you are having issues we'll resolve that here. First off, having a main character first helps branch out other character ideas. So that first person is your MOST important, the Setting generally follows the theme. One could do an off the wall idea with the Theme, but make sure it makes SOME sense. Sometimes I tie in themes/emotions and it comes to a very good setting. I tend to worry about this stuff much later, that way you can work out the feeling of your narrative. For example, if you feel dark and angry let's say you made a Gothic Fantasy story. Typically you can center around a cathedral or a castle, but one could branch out to a tavern, or an abandoned sewer system. But, if the story has a twist...such as, Steam Punk. Then one could have the setting mostly on a Steam Powered Zeppelin, or something to that degree. It's believable, but also FANTASTIC! Most think a story, if fictional, doesn't have to be some-what believable. Not true. The story feels more real with SOME idea of cohesiveness within reality. But, this is really all you need to know about Character and Setting creations. Hell, if all else fails, draw a rough map out so you can keep your new creations locations in check during your story! I sometimes use this tip.

V. Perspective

This one is, more or less, personal choice. One could write their story from the characters perspective, or third person perspective. I.e: "Jack walked into the bar, he was feeling rather uneasy." This is explaining his situation and his feelings, but not from his perspective. It's from a totally different perspective. It gives the readers a glimpse into the characters mind. Where as, first person could do the same. But only if the character decides to divulge those pieces of information within his own dialogue. Or inner monologue. Either way, it's all on the reader to say and do what they please for the character based off the perspective.

VI. Conclusion

So, this is most of what you need to know to write a rather well thought out story. I know it doesn't COMPLETELY hold your hand through the tips. But, you have to remember, writing stories is an art form using words. Art requires YOUR unique, clever imagination. So, get into that creative mind set and let the creativity FLOW!

VII. Questions & Answers
Q: What do I do if I cannot find a muse, or any way to get into said mind set?

A: Don't force it! This is important, DO NOT FORCE CREATIVITY. Just because you want to write a story, doesn't mean you should rush it. VERY IMPORTANT rule. Never rush anything when it comes to this.
Q: What if none of my story makes sense, how can I fix it?

A: To be honest, the story is only messed up if it is unintelligible or literally makes no sense as far as theme/character/and setting. Give it some form of cohesiveness and you won't go wrong. If you have to, make a diagram to better help you construct the whole thing!
Q: What if I have a problem with spelling?

A: Dictionary/Thesaurus help, IMMENSELY! You will not only learn new words, but how to spell ones you have not used much.
Q: How long should the story be?

A: Well, that all depends on you. Do you want to write a novel? A Poem? A short story? Or a graphic novel (This is more or less using two forms of art. Writing and Drawing)? You debate the length of the story, and you dictate what and how it ends. It's YOUR STORY!

!END: Well! This has been my tips on writing. I hope you enjoy, I will add more if necessary. This guide is not meant to be a grade school diagram on how to write in general. This is merely on how to develop a story and asking questions with any issue you may have. Its a creative process guide. If you have any questions, post here or PM me. And, happy writing!​

Last edited:
This is great stuff!
Much appreciated. It's what I've gathered from writing through the years. Helps me when I need it.

tips for writing: Its your story... don't let reviews get you down <3
Exactly. Take the real criticism when it comes, ignore the toxicity.

Thank you for sharing all of this!
No problem! I figured any aspiring writers could use some tips from other aspiring writers. Lol

Last edited:

Neat Games

Planter
These are some great writing tips! I make games as a hobby (can see in my YouTube). However, I don't worry about the story as much yet cuz I make small and simple games. Once I'm good enough I want to sit down and write a story and game lore for a big project! Currently I'm making a Mario-Like platform game with a very simple save the world story XD

These are some great writing tips! I make games as a hobby (can see in my YouTube). However, I don't worry about the story as much yet cuz I make small and simple games. Once I'm good enough I want to sit down and write a story and game lore for a big project! Currently I'm making a Mario-Like platform game with a very simple save the world story XD
Thanks! Glad to see everyone enjoying it.

Funny you should say that, I've always wanted to make games. How did you get started on that?)

Neat Games

Planter
Thanks! Glad to see everyone enjoying it.

Funny you should say that, I've always wanted to make games. How did you get started on that?)
I just randomly came across a "making indie games" video on YouTube and went down the rabbit hole haha. I actually made a video about how I started / how to start. ( https://youtu.be/uxCeegnTxa8 it's a bit of a tangent but I think I get some points across XD still getting use to talking on YouTube)

I just randomly came across a "making indie games" video on YouTube and went down the rabbit hole haha. I actually made a video about how I started / how to start. ( https://youtu.be/uxCeegnTxa8 it's a bit of a tangent but I think I get some points across XD still getting use to talking on YouTube)
That's actually really cool, I am going to check it out. I'd like to learn how to make video games. :D Always wanted to. Lol

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
these are good writing tips! one thing i'm currently working on, and really wish i implemented earlier, is that you always have your own voice with writing, but if you want to improve that voice or to get a higher "skill" in writing, it really helps to just read a lot. of course writing a lot helps too, but i think it is healthy to get out of your brain for a while and pick someone else's, it'll bring you a refreshing perspective and you'll subtly pick up on techniques and ways of doing details that you never thought of before

these are good writing tips! one thing i'm currently working on, and really wish i implemented earlier, is that you always have your own voice with writing, but if you want to improve that voice or to get a higher "skill" in writing, it really helps to just read a lot. of course writing a lot helps too, but i think it is healthy to get out of your brain for a while and pick someone else's, it'll bring you a refreshing perspective and you'll subtly pick up on techniques and ways of doing details that you never thought of before
Very true. In fact, one author I know of used to write out the Great Gatsby over and over to get the feeling from Fitzgerald's work. And I find reading others works and seeing how they do it also helps as well. Valid point.