The Solo Farm Experience

Wildebeest

Tiller
Hi!

I am currently doing a solo farm playthrough with a few rules. I've used some time to think about the rules, and everyone is welcome to try it out, or do their own twist.

1. You can never leave the farm unless you follow one of two conditions:
A: You are collecting your Bamboo Pole on the 2nd day of your freshly made playthrough.
B: You have both a totem for your wished travel destination and a farm totem to return.

2. When you travel with a totem you are limited to that area. You are allowed to visit the carpenter in the mountains, and the fishing shop/night market at the beach.

3. You are not allowed to help the Junimos or Joja.

4. You can make friends through gifting to the extent you follow rule 2.

5. If you faint or get KO, or in any other way get transported to the village you are to return to the farm without interacting or picking up anything.

Enjoy the game mode! The difficulty is steep, and you will meet several challenges that are totally manageable.

Reactions: Tom

Wildebeest

Tiller
A few tips to get you started:
1. When prompted to choose between fruit bats or mushrooms. Choose fruit bats. Mushrooms are available through random events. This is also a good way to get EXP.

2. For foraging profession go with lumberer so you unlock hardwood from regular trees at lvl 10.

3. For fishing go for fisher, and then pirate at lvl 10.

Quirinea

Farmer
A few tips to get you started:
1. When prompted to choose between fruit bats or mushrooms. Choose fruit bats. Mushrooms are available through random events. This is also a good way to get EXP.

2. For foraging profession go with lumberer so you unlock hardwood from regular trees at lvl 10.

3. For fishing go for fisher, and then pirate at lvl 10.
My experience is the opposite. I always choose mushrooms: it means steady source of them, six mushrooms every second day. I've tried bats once or twice and there seems to be a salmonberry once a week or the like. Waddya mean by random events? Best random sources of mushrooms are Secret woods, mines and in 1.5. the cave at Ginger Island .

2. My favourite has always been Gatherer - Botanist. Lumberer may've been advantageous in 1.4. But in 1.5. there are ample sources of hardwood.

3. Agree.

Wildebeest

Tiller
My experience is the opposite. I always choose mushrooms: it means steady source of them, six mushrooms every second day. I've tried bats once or twice and there seems to be a salmonberry once a week or the like. Waddya mean by random events? Best random sources of mushrooms are Secret woods, mines and in 1.5. the cave at Ginger Island .

2. My favourite has always been Gatherer - Botanist. Lumberer may've been advantageous in 1.4. But in 1.5. there are ample sources of hardwood.

3. Agree.
The tips are as described so that a player will have as much success as possible in the challenge explained in the main post.

Tom

Farmer
I wasn't familiar with that farm map; I see it's Wilderness Farm. I suppose I am not very adventurous. You didn't recommend a farm map. Do you recommend the Wilderness Farm? If so, why?

Wildebeest

Tiller
I wasn't familiar with that farm map; I see it's Wilderness Farm. I suppose I am not very adventurous. You didn't recommend a farm map. Do you recommend the Wilderness Farm? If so, why?
The reason I went with the Wilderness-map was that I actually wasn't aware about the option to turn on monster spawning in the other farms.

Monsters give access to some important resources: Bat Wings from bats. Wild seeds from Wilderness Golem.

At the moment there is no way to level up combat on the farm, so the resources from Shadow Brutes aren't available. (That monster is unlocked at lvl 8 combat)

I've thought about what map I would go for if I ever wanted to restart the challenge. The four corners map would in that case be the best because of all the resources one would get access to.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

Farmer
1. Are you allowed to linger in an area all you want as long as you don't visit another place other than the carpenter and the beach shops/market?
2. If you have a Mountains totem, can you visit The Mines? Is that considered like a building, or a new map? What about the train station? That's a new map?
3. I assume you can't go to festivals?
4. This means no animals since you can't go to Marnie's Ranch?
5. Is the idea just to see what happens and how long it's fun?

Wildebeest

Tiller
1. Are you allowed to linger in an area all you want as long as you don't visit another place other than the carpenter and the beach shops/market?
2. If you have a Mountains totem, can you visit The Mines? Is that considered like a building, or a new map? What about the train station? That's a new map?
3. I assume you can't go to festivals?
4. This means no animals since you can't go to Marnie's Ranch?
5. Is the idea just to see what happens and how long it's fun?
In my playthrough I am not allowed to go in the mines/adventurer guild. I can however stay in the mountains or the beach for whatever errands I want as long as the totem rule is followed. That means having both a totem for travel and for return.

I'm able to go to the winter market if I have the totems. That's the only festival I can think of. The market is also a great opportunity to get seeds and increase friendship with all villagers!

The idea is to eventually make a completely self-sustaining farm! The adventure to get there will be a lot of fun! 🤩

imnvs

Local Legend
I'm able to go to the winter market if I have the totems. That's the only festival I can think of. The market is also a great opportunity to get seeds and increase friendship with all villagers!
There are other festivals held at the Beach that totems would allow for besides the Night Market. Both Summer festivals are held at the Beach, the Luau and the Dance of the Moonlight Jellies.

Also, just to double check and double make sure I understand correctly... if you have a beach totem to go to the Night Market, your rules still say that you can't pay to warp home and must still have the farm totem to get home, yes?

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Tiller
There are other festivals held at the Beach that totems would allow for besides the Night Market. Both Summer festivals are held at the Beach, the Luau and the Dance of the Moonlight Jellies.

Also, just to double check and double make sure I understand correctly... if you have a beach totem to go to the Night Market, your rules still say that you can't pay to warp home and must still have the farm totem to get home, yes?
As far as I am aware it's not possible to warp into the beach during the other events. If it's possible then yes, that would be allowed.

For my playthrough I've not yet decided how I will go about the paid return.

I have acquired 1 totem to go to the beach. There is a 3,3% chance to get the farm one from a artifact spot. If I've not gotten one before the night market then I will probably use the paid teleport for return.

Wildebeest

Tiller
With the recent update I will be restarting and doing a completely new run of this.

I would love suggestions/changes to rules. I am currently trying to learn all the relevant changes that have happened to more easily be able to do the run in the optimal way, and I do love any help I can get to set this up.