Special Orders Trash Strategy?

ISSsloth

Farmer
Has anyone found a good strategy for Linus' special order? What's the best spot to fish at for it? I'm personally casting as close to shore as I can and when I get a hit losing the fish asap with inconsistent locations.

Boo1972

Farmer
This was surprisingly hard for me too. I figured it would take 2 days max but the beach farm is pretty decent fishing. Crab pots definitely helped me out. I turned in my trash late on the last day.

imnvs

Local Legend
Thanks for the advice, but I can't actually access either of these.
Well, what farm map are you playing? Most of those have increased chances of trash, especially if you fish in tiny ponds like some of the maps have.

Alternately, get more crab pots. You'll get trash from those provided you aren't a Mariner, and if you are a Mariner, switch to something else immediately, then switch back after the order is done.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Alternatively, just fish as close to shore as possible. The farther you cast, generally speaking, the better stuff you catch. Late-game with a good rod and a high fishing skill it's nigh impossible to catch trash on a good cast.

ISSsloth

Farmer
I have a river farm, and don't have the resources (I am too lazy) to maintain even the 4 crab pots I already have. Thanks for the advice though! I will try the spa fountain next time I play.

Last edited:

LRangerR

Local Legend
How are you so busy that you can't even maintain 4 crab pots? Worst case scenario you buy bait from willy for 5g apiece.

imnvs

Local Legend
I'm not busy, I just rarely go to the beach so I don't often buy bait.
Make just one worm bin. I mean, they're not cheap (needing hardwood and a gold bar), but just one of them? Especially if you don't often get to your crab pots usually, you'll eventually have plenty of bait. In my beach farm I have 2 and don't often get to my 10 crab pots... at one point in time, so that I wouldn't have two stacks of bait, I sold 500. I'm pushing 900 again.

Worblehat

Planter
they're not cheap (needing hardwood and a gold bar)
I'd characterize that as cheap. Once the mahogany trees get going, hardwood is easily available in essentially unlimited quantity. And of the three "normal" metals I find gold the least used. Need lots of copper for tappers and kegs, lots of iron for kegs and beehives; can't think of a major use case for gold since I stopped caring about quality sprinklers.

Anyway, I second the worm bin suggestion. Very useful; just one will easily support routine fishing (might need more if you're really into fishing, but I'm not). I avoid the stacking problem by not bothering to take the bait from my worm bin most days; I've got a bit over 100 bait on the fishing rod, and I'll start taking bait from the bin again when/if that drops below 100.

Boo1972

Farmer
I have a river farm, and don't have the resources (I am too lazy) to maintain even the 4 crab pots I already have. Thanks for the advice though! I will try the spa fountain next time I play.
I feel you. I too am lazy and ignore my crab pots. I have a worm bin set up on ginger island just to fill crab pots- I wondered what I could catch there. I have yet to bring any over. Not that they’re getting any use on my beach farm. Are they close to my farm house? Yes! Do I have a worm bin? You bet! Do I empty my pots daily or weekly or perhaps monthly? No, nope and certainly not.

I did use the crab pots to help me complete Linus’ quest. I also turned in all the trash in the beginning of the quest so I could use all the time available to me to fish if I needed to.

Good Luck!

ISSsloth

Farmer
Thanks for the advice everyone! I ended up completing the quest pretty easily by taking out one of my older rods (Which I still have because I am a hoarder) and spending a day at the spa fountain. Linus even happened the be there when I caught the last bit of trash.

Elenna101

Farmer
Thanks for the advice everyone! I ended up completing the quest pretty easily by taking out one of my older rods (Which I still have because I am a hoarder) and spending a day at the spa fountain. Linus even happened the be there when I caught the last bit of trash.
Glad you completed it! BTW, the rod you use has no effect on the chances of trash as far as I know.