Solved Smapi missing a file??

With the new SDV update, Smapi also needed to update, but when I went to update it like normal, the installer claimed (Image)

So I turned off my anti virus and tried it again, same issue.

I looked to these forums as well as the steam forums, to which I see a lot of people say to install the .Net 5, ok!
I tried that, same issue.

I have downloaded smapi from both the .io as well as Nexus.

I'm not quite sure what the issue is right now.

EDIT: I have since; Verified my game data, manually tried to move the SMAPI files to the folder, DL'd and unzipped in in a different location (as this is what fixed some other peoples issue.), and looked at the smapi parse log which im not quite sure what to do with that from there.

( https://smapi.io/log/73d8df273e6648719ccfea8eb385e1b2 )

Attachments

Last edited:

Kreeate

Rancher
With the new SDV update, Smapi also needed to update, but when I went to update it like normal, the installer claimed (Image)

So I turned off my anti virus and tried it again, same issue.

I looked to these forums as well as the steam forums, to which I see a lot of people say to install the .Net 5, ok!
I tried that, same issue.

I have downloaded smapi from both the .io as well as Nexus.

I'm not quite sure what the issue is right now.

EDIT: I have since; Verified my game data, manually tried to move the SMAPI files to the folder, DL'd and unzipped in in a different location (as this is what fixed some other peoples issue.), and looked at the smapi parse log which im not quite sure what to do with that from there.

( https://smapi.io/log/73d8df273e6648719ccfea8eb385e1b2 )
Hi,

Are you installing from C: drive to C: drive? Or from another drive to C: drive?
Have you updated your game to 1.5.5 yet?
You could try to install SMAPI manually. Instructions are in the README.TXT file in the SMAPI installation folder.

Last edited:
Hi,

Are you installing from C: drive to C: drive? Or from another drive to C: drive?
Have you updated your game to 1.5.5 yet?
You could try to install SMAPI manually. Instructions are in the README.TXT file in the SMAPI installation folder.

I only have a C: drive on this computer, so C to C.
The 1.5.5 is updated.
I have tried to install smapi manually through the read me file to no avail.

Kreeate

Rancher
I only have a C: drive on this computer, so C to C.
The 1.5.5 is updated.
I have tried to install smapi manually through the read me file to no avail.
Mmm... interesting indeed.

The SMAPI.installer.dll file does not come into play at all when installing manually.
No error messages should pop up when installing manually.

Could you maybe take a screenshot of your SDV folder please? Similar to below, sorted by "type".

1639590344032.png

Mmm... interesting indeed.

The SMAPI.installer.dll file does not come into play at all when installing manually.
No error messages should pop up when installing manually.

Could you maybe take a screenshot of your SDV folder please? Similar to below, sorted by "type".

~~~~

I had manually installed the Smapi files, then verified the integrity files which I think replaced the smapi files before- so I just re did it all again. That being said, Here is a new parse log just in case because I tried to load up stardew again this time and it says that I need to install the new smapi still : https://smapi.io/log/b8ee96c8b12c47f5bc6d7d0be9c2f484

and here is the folder screen shot:

Attachments

Kreeate

Rancher
I had manually installed the Smapi files, then verified the integrity files which I think replaced the smapi files before- so I just re did it all again. That being said, Here is a new parse log just in case because I tried to load up stardew again this time and it says that I need to install the new smapi still : https://smapi.io/log/b8ee96c8b12c47f5bc6d7d0be9c2f484

and here is the folder screen shot:
Have you done this step from the README.txt file?

3. Copy `Stardew Valley.deps.json` in the game folder, and rename the copy to
`StardewModdingAPI.deps.json`.

I *Think* I did, I was a little confused at that as to "why" it needed to.

But I copied the top folder and pasted it back in that folder naming it StardewModdingAPI.deps.json - but maybe I did that step wrong cause it was kind of confusing.

Attachments

Kreeate

Rancher
I *Think* I did, I was a little confused at that as to "why" it needed to.

But I copied the top folder and pasted it back in that folder naming it StardewModdingAPI.deps.json - but maybe I did that step wrong cause it was kind of confusing.
Ah, the file Stardew Valley.deps is missing the .json extension.

Rename that file to Stardew Valley.deps.json

Slow going, but looks like progress 😊

EDIT:
It looks like you have hidden file extensions for known file types. This may be causing an issue with the renaming process.
Please follow these quick steps to show file extensions for all files.

Then take another screenshot so that we can see which files have the correct json extensions.

Last edited:
(sorry, I know its taking me some time to reply, I am also working [from home] )

But hopefully this will help out?

I selected the json files I could see and I have it sorted 2 ways cause im not sure if that helps or not to see better. lol

Attachments

Kreeate

Rancher
(sorry, I know its taking me some time to reply, I am also working [from home] )

But hopefully this will help out?

I selected the json files I could see and I have it sorted 2 ways cause im not sure if that helps or not to see better. lol
Thanks for the new screenshot. And don't worry about replying quickly, I understand people have lives to live as well 😊

Please rename StardewModdingAPI.deps.json.json to StardewModdingAPI.deps.json

Then run the game by double clicking StardewModdingAPI.exe

Let me know if you get any error messages after that please.

Kreeate

Rancher
The image is what I get when I try to boot up SDV.

(Parse log after alterations this time: https://smapi.io/log/d7c9adbd70e845ec9fd4747a10b25b26 )

I feel like its a loop. I go to try to install smapi, it says somethings wrong, I do it manually, then try to boot up, to which it claims smapi isnt updated.
It looks like the older version of SMAPI left some files behind.

My suggestion:
1. Completely uninstall Stardew Valley 1.5.5
2. Go to the old installation folder and make sure there are no files or folders left behind there. ( C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley )
3. Install a fresh copy of Stardew Valley 1.5.5
4. Run the game once through Steam, then close it.
5. Download SMAPI 3.13.2 to any folder (not the Stardew Valley folder) and try to install it using its default "install on Windows.bat" file
1639611319418.png

6. If point 5 worked without issue, then try to run the game with the StardewModdingAPI.exe
7. If point 5 did not work, then you'll need to manual install again. I've written a detailed guide for SMAPI manual installation if required, but please try points 1-5 first.

Good luck and please feel free to ask any questions along the way 🍀

Last edited:
It looks like the older version of SMAPI left some files behind.

My suggestion:
1. Completely uninstall Stardew Valley 1.5.5
2. Go to the old installation folder and make sure there are no files or folders left behind there. ( C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley )
3. Install a fresh copy of Stardew Valley 1.5.5
4. Run the game once through Steam, then close it.
5. Download SMAPI 3.13.2 to any folder (not the Stardew Valley folder) and try to install it using its default "install on Windows.bat" file
View attachment 7676
6. If point 5 worked without issue, then try to run the game with the StardewModdingAPI.exe
7. If point 5 did not work, then you'll need to manual install again. I've written a detailed guide for SMAPI manual installation if required, but please try points 1-5 first.

Good luck and please feel free to ask any questions along the way 🍀

OK! SO HERE WE GO! haha

I did try your 1-5 to no avail.
SDV error.png

So then I went to your second suggestion of the step by step guide.

As far as it seems, THAT worked! :D :D :D

That being said, I do have one curious question about the end bit though as it seemed to have double.

So I was going to:
Kreeate said:
"(Step 4) Now Right-click on Stardew Valley.deps.json and choose Copy. Right-click anywhere else and choose Paste.
Then scroll to the file called Stardew Valley.deps - Copy.json and Right-click it. Choose Rename and name it StardewModdingAPI.deps.json "
But when I did that, it said it needed to make a (2) out of it. as there was ALREADY a "StardewModdingAPI.deps.json" file. So I left it.

So what I did from there was start up Stardew and see if it ran, it did. Great. but inquiring minds want to know~~

What I then did was continue on the instructions "just incase". I had moved the StardewModdingAPI.deps.json to my desktop to save that file incase what I was going to do would mess it up, then copied, pasted, and renamed the Stardew Valley.deps.json file.

And that worked too! WEWT!!! So I think, I hope, I really want this to work out! haha.

Thanks so much for all your help!!!! :junicheer::junicheer::junicheer::iristar::iristar::iristar::iristar::iristar::iristar::iristar::iristar::iristar::iristar::iristar::iristar::iristar::iristar::iristar::iristar::iristar::iristar::iristar::iristar::iristar::iristar::iristar::junicheer::junicheer::junicheer:

Kreeate

Rancher
That being said, I do have one curious question about the end bit though as it seemed to have double.

So I was going to:

But when I did that, it said it needed to make a (2) out of it. as there was ALREADY a "StardewModdingAPI.deps.json" file. So I left it.
I suspect the initial attempt to install SMAPI with the installer (step 5) may have added the StardewModdingAPI.deps.json file.
The manual install method doesn't do that automatically, which is why it's an extra step.

Either way, happy to have been of help 😊

Please could you clarify at which point the 1-5 failed? Just so I know to look more into that for any other future tech support issues.

Lastly, please could you confirm that SMAPI is now installed and that you can run the game using StardewModdingAPI.exe?

Last edited:
Suggestion:
1. Completely uninstall Stardew Valley 1.5.5 (Worked)
2. Go to the old installation folder and make sure there are no files or folders left behind there. ( C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley ) (Worked)
3. Install a fresh copy of Stardew Valley 1.5.5 (Worked)
4. Run the game once through Steam, then close it. (Did NOT Work)
5. Download SMAPI 3.13.2 to any folder (not the Stardew Valley folder) and try to install it using its default "install on Windows.bat" file (Did NOT Work)
6. If point 5 worked without issue, then try to run the game with the StardewModdingAPI.exe (Above Did NOT Work)
7. If point 5 did not work, then you'll need to manual install again. I've written a detailed guide for SMAPI manual installation if required, but please try points 1-5 first. (Worked)

Kreeate

Rancher
Suggestion:
1. Completely uninstall Stardew Valley 1.5.5 (Worked)
2. Go to the old installation folder and make sure there are no files or folders left behind there. ( C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley ) (Worked)
3. Install a fresh copy of Stardew Valley 1.5.5 (Worked)
4. Run the game once through Steam, then close it. (Did NOT Work)
5. Download SMAPI 3.13.2 to any folder (not the Stardew Valley folder) and try to install it using its default "install on Windows.bat" file (Did NOT Work)
6. If point 5 worked without issue, then try to run the game with the StardewModdingAPI.exe (Above Did NOT Work)
7. If point 5 did not work, then you'll need to manual install again. I've written a detailed guide for SMAPI manual installation if required, but please try points 1-5 first. (Worked)
Thanks for the clarification.

So you can run the game now and use mods?

Thanks for the clarification.

So you can run the game now and use mods?

Yep, for the most part. Looks like the PyTK and TMXL things need to be updated for expanded to work possibly, but it seems like my other mods that don't really have to use those to work, work.

I activated all my mods and updated the ones that said needed to update (Including the above mentioned.~ )

(Latest parse log: https://smapi.io/log/cc6f874bccc340b18df54b83deb2b709 )

But yep, SDV is loadable and playable with and without mods now. :)

Kreeate

Rancher
Yep, for the most part. Looks like the PyTK and TMXL things need to be updated for expanded to work possibly, but it seems like my other mods that don't really have to use those to work, work.

I activated all my mods and updated the ones that said needed to update (Including the above mentioned.~ )

(Latest parse log: https://smapi.io/log/cc6f874bccc340b18df54b83deb2b709 )

But yep, SDV is loadable and playable with and without mods now. :)
Glad to hear it :)

You can use the unofficial updated versions of TMXLoader and PyTK from here --> https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/unofficial-mod-updates.2096/page-78#post-53000
You can also replace your UI Info Suite 2.0.0 mod with this one --> UI Info Suite 2.1.8

I'm just going to bring this up here because it was an issue (Again).

The original issue of this thread is still an issue with SMAPI, I'm not sure what's changed over these last 2 updates. Before I never had an issue with downloading SMAPI and letting it install itself, but it continues to say "a file is missing or deleted" and then I have to go the backdoor way to install it. Which is fine due to : https://forums.stardewvalley.net/th...all-smapi-3-13-2-on-windows.10081/#post-59982

I just used that again, and again, it worked.

(Basically replying this if anyone else is also having the same issue.)