Solved SMAPI 3.13.4 RUNNING SLOW WITH ALTERNATIVE TEXTURES! :(

Hey I'm totally having the same issues with SMAPI not loading the mods fast and slow load-up time. ! I think it has something to do with Alternative textures. I am currently modding three computers and the other two don't have alternative textures. But then again I have the alternative textures with Elle's Dogs, Cats, Coop Animals. Barn Animals and Horses. Even when the game loaded when I started it back up at 11 it FINALLY opened, but then took forever to get to load and after all that is said and done I didn't even play the game and woke up at 5 Central Time this morning to find it running, but again...very very slow
Screenshot 2022-01-20 064318.png

Last edited:
How slow is very slow? My modded game loads up in about 5 minutes, but I've already established that it is caused by the unofficial versions of PyTK and TMXL. I'm not sure if it's one or both of them. From looking at your log it seems that you have at least PyTK installed (And therefore the unofficial version, because the official patch is outdated) So it could be caused by that. On the other hand, it could just be that my potato laptop doesn't like modding :p Do your other modded computers have better specs or different mods? (No PyTK or TMXL) Also, I know this is already really obvious, but have you or are you going to update cute valley?

Thank you so much for your reply WhiteEagle12 ...

1.)I have modded three computers now. One of them loaded with the pyTK

2.) Slow as in I've been working on this since 5 in the morning Central Time and it is now 2pm....:(((

3.)I've updated Cute Valley so many times but there is not a new version yet or not that I know of on Nexus.

4.)One of my laptops has better specs but I haven't tried that one. I have an icore-3 processor and an icore-5 processor
The i-5 is what i'm having problems with
The i-3 is what I was able to get loaded up with no problem.

It's no problem!
Slow as in I've been working on this since 5 in the morning Central Time and it is now 2pm....:(((
Wow, I'm not sure what could be causing it. And you're sure that the only mod that you know of that could be causing it is cute valley? There aren't any other possible mods? In fact, would you mind uploading a SMAPI log so we can take a look at it? (https://smapi.io/log)

Hm, that's really odd. I can't find any reason why you would be loading in that slowly. I will continue looking, but this is about the point where I'm out of my depth. If I can't find any potential fixes soon then it might be a good idea to involve @MysticTempest or @Kreeate.
All I can find is that SMAPI says that cute valley is version 1.5.1 and Nexus Mods has a version 1.5.2. If you could try deleting cute valley and reinstalling it with the new version again then it may work. If not, then I really have no idea what the issue is.

Well thanks for helping me anyway. I'm trying to help someone else but on reddit and she uninstalled everything and now Stardew Valley Vanilla won't even load! :(((

Well thanks for helping me anyway. I'm trying to help someone else but on reddit and she uninstalled everything and now Stardew Valley Vanilla won't even load! :(((
I'm sorry, I'm not very experienced with this kind of thing and I only recently started getting out of my comfort zone to try and help a bit. It's nice that you're trying to help someone else as well! As far as your issue goes, trying to update cute valley is all I've got. Hopefully, someone will be able to offer more insight as to how to solve your issue.

I've been searching around it seems like Stardew Valley 1.5.6 and SMAPI 3.13.4 are bugged somehow. But I don't know. I REALLY do appreciate everything you have tried to help with me and i get it because i need to get out of my comfort zone as well. Feel free to message me if you need anything...well almost anything...i'm not a genius here...lmao

I've been searching around it seems like Stardew Valley 1.5.6 and SMAPI 3.13.4 are bugged somehow. But I don't know. I REALLY do appreciate everything you have tried to help with me and i get it because i need to get out of my comfort zone as well. Feel free to message me if you need anything...well almost anything...i'm not a genius here...lmao
Don't worry, I'm very obviously not a genius either... I'm just a guy trying to figure out something he sucks at and help people in the process.

Thanks for helping out @WhiteEagle12 , and thanks for the log @princess_jasmine9109

For CuteValley; I see a report on the Bug page for the mod that the manifest is wrong. Which is why it incorrectly reports needing an update.

Now, I'm not too familiar with those retexture mods. But, the "Alternative Textures-Elle's Animals pack" mentions this on the mod page:
- All textures from Elle's retextures for farm animals converted to use with Alternative Textures
Which has me wondering if you don't need the CP versions of the retextures. Might want to try removing them, and only use the Alt Texture version.
See if the doubling up was causing issues.

Thank you so much MysticTempest because I kind of get what you are saying, but I just removed all the files that have Alternative Textures in it. But don't worry I moved it to a secure folder for safe keeping :D

I'm just confused on the doubling up on stuff or files rather.

Thank you so much MysticTempest because I kind of get what you are saying, but I just removed all the files that have Alternative Textures in it. But don't worry I moved it to a secure folder for safe keeping :D

I'm just confused on the doubling up on stuff or files rather.
No prob.

I had a little more free time to download, and check.
I found this comment on the "Elle's Animals for Altenative Textures" mod page: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index....or-alternative-textures/page-2#entry102781853

The only difference between the CP version & the AT version; is the method of switching between textures.

So, what I meant by doubling up is that.
Since you have the following 2 mod frameworks installed at the same time. With subpacks that are both providing Elle's retextures. SMAPI is now working twice as hard to give you the same modded textures.

Alternative Textures5.0.5
+ Elle's Cats for AT 1.0.0
+ Elle's Dogs for AT 1.0.0
+ Elle's New Barn Animals for AT 1.0.0
+ Elle's New Coop Animals for AT 1.0.0
+ Elle's New Horses for AT 1.0.0
PeacefulEnd
+ Elle/Junimods
+ Elle/Junimods
+ Elle/Junimods
+ Elle/Junimods
+ Elle/Junimods
no errors

Content Patcher 1.24.8
+ Elle's New Barn Animals 1.1.3
+ Elle's New Coop Animals 1.1.5
+ Elle's New Horses 1.1.5

+ Elle/Junimods
+ Elle/Junimods
+ Elle/Junimods

So, long as you're not running both of those as the same time; you should be good.
And, as you mentioned removing the Alternate Textures mod files; things should be okay.

But, feel free to return with a new log if you have further issues.

Okay now I get it. I was going to run another log but I know that the problem with 1 of the computers that I'm modding out of 3. I'm so tired right now. I've been waiting at least 30 minutes for SMAPI to load my game. I'll send another log tomorrow. Thanks again MysticTempest for all your help!!!

Hi Rose_Palitsky! I have decided to turn the computer off and let it rest first. Then I turned it back on and let SMAPI do it's thing. I would check the website https://smapi.io/mods to see if any of your mods are incompatible with SMAPI. The only extreme thing I did was validate the integrity of the files by going through the properties of the game and un-installing and re-installing SMAPI! It seems to be working a lot faster but then again I haven't touched the SMAPI at all after it opened and it seems more responsive. If you want or need anything else, please don't hesitate to message me back!!!!! Hopefully shutting down your computer and checking the mods will help it run faster. I'm currently modding two other computers with Stardew Valley and SMAPI (two laptops) and they are fine.