Skull Cavern Floor 100 guaranteed treasure floor

BlaDe

Farmer
There is only one point in the game where floor 100 of the skull caverns contains anything of value, and that is only after finding a secret note.

Every other time you are in the caverns, this floor is empty. Not only this, dropshafts are coded to stop you at floor 100 even if they would have otherwise taken you past it.

If the special event is not to be triggered, can we get a guaranteed treasure chest on this floor?

This will help justify the dropshafts stopping you there, and give an additional constant target and incentive to keep retrying the skull caverns.

Last edited:

Zamiel

Sodbuster
I don't really like this suggestion. Allow me to propose an alternative suggestion.

Having floor 100 be coded in the way that it does only makes sense when the "Cryptic Note" quest is active. The game should simply be programmed to only enable the special rules for floor 100 only when the quest is active. In other words:

1) Without the quest active, floor 100 should just be a randomly generated floor like all the other ones are.
2) Without the quest active, shafts should be able to take you past floor 100 like they normally do (e.g. floor 98 --> 105).

imnvs

Local Legend
I don't really like this suggestion.
These both accomplish the same basic thing: making it so that floor 100 isn't an empty floor.

Might I ask why you don't like it being a treasure floor instead of a randomly generated floor? I mean, getting to 100 in the SC takes some work and I think perhaps a small reward isn't out of place. What is so bad about that? Or what is so much better about having a typical floor instead?

Zamiel

Sodbuster
Hello imnvs,

In my eyes, the fact that floor 100 is always empty *before* you have the Cryptic Note quest or *after* you have already completed the Cryptic Note quest is simply a bug in the game.
When fixing the bug, there's no need to give the player an *extra* reward that they shouldn't otherwise have - just fix the bug and be done with it!

BlaDe

Farmer
Either suggestion would accomplish the goal, this is true.

If this was simply a bug report I would agree with Zamiel. However this is suggesting something new.

The mines give incentives for reaching certain floors. Both in items and in progress.

Floor 100 is special in the skull caverns. It is obvious when you reach it, dropshafts stop, and you can even get an event.

It can be a struggle to get there. If you dont have the event, the floor can be a kind of "that's it?" Hence the suggestion.

Last edited:

tomaO2

Planter
In my eyes, the fact that floor 100 is always empty *before* you have the Cryptic Note quest or *after* you have already completed the Cryptic Note quest is simply a bug in the game.
When fixing the bug, there's no need to give the player an *extra* reward that they shouldn't otherwise have - just fix the bug and be done with it!
I'm pretty sure this is a specific floor layout that is about the size of a treasure room. The floor doesn't change. It's the only floor in skull cavern that is always the same. The only difference is that Qi is waiting for you during the quest, and it's empty otherwise. Qi is also the person that is dropping treasure chests in the mines to begin with, so it seems natural that he would keep restocking floor 100 with a new treasure every time.

I wasn't aware that shafts would automatically take you no further than floor 100. That makes me feel that is all the more reason to have a treasure there. I like the idea.

The Treasure Chests are pretty random and not overpowered, so having one guaranteed at floor 100 seems like a nice change.
If people are worried about exploiting it then just put it into a seed matrix like geodes are if it's not already. I mean even if your doing it for auto petter the sinking 100 levels still takes a significant amount of work so it's not like it's broken.

... sinking 100 levels still takes a significant amount of work ...
That's why I like the suggestion to have a guaranteed treasure chest there. Even at bad luck days one gets at least a treasure then.
For me this could be generalized to have each 100 floors a guaranteed treasure chest, similar to the each 10 floors chest at the normal mine.

Alternativly at the 100'st floor could be (after the secret note task) something Qi-special. Maybe a gamble with/against Qi to get some extra Qi gems.