Sideways portraits are annoying

dundalol

Sodbuster
People like Penny, Abigail, Leah and Sandy (and the dudes, if I was interested in them), have sideways portraits, and looks like they are never talking directly to you. Im not sure how to say it, but it is annoying because it isnt inviting for me to get closer to that person, it looks like a barrier, like they arent interested.
This is specially true for Abigail and Elliot, which seems like they are always walking by you, and you just happened to get by.

Also front penny portrait is way nicer

I am with you regarding Elliott. For Abigail as well as Alex I think it would match if the eyes would direct to the Player like it is with Leah.
Personally I don't care much. But I think it's probably just a small change. BTW: have you looked at the Mods - there are a lot of visual changes offered.

I find this topic interesting.
Some people from a different culture might view those NPC as rude or impolite.
For example, in Korean culture, speaking directly to someone with side-eyes is considered rude.

Despite all this, I still admire CA"s progress in graphic art tho...
I hope other people from different countries would not have culture shock from playing SV. – I know I am bit exagerating.

dundalol

Sodbuster
Everyone you listed, @dundalol , is looking at you except for Abigail. Elliot, while his face is turned away, the eye you see is looking straight at you. Same goes for Leah, Penny and Sandy, all three.
It doesnt matter they are looking at you. In fact, this is a social distance/defense tactic. If you dont like someone and are forced to be close to him, you turn your shoulder to him, even if you are looking and speaking to him.
I could understand this talking while you dont know people. But, for example, it makes difficult to be close to penny or abigail if they are saying intimate things while giving you the literal shoulder.

StarFarmer

Tiller
It doesnt matter they are looking at you. In fact, this is a social distance/defense tactic. If you dont like someone and are forced to be close to him, you turn your shoulder to him, even if you are looking and speaking to him.
I could understand this talking while you dont know people. But, for example, it makes difficult to be close to penny or abigail if they are saying intimate things while giving you the literal shoulder.
Dundalol more or less hit the point I was going to make on the head. This maybe be surprising, but not everyone in the world is an extrovert. Some people identify as ambiverts (somewhere in the middle between extrovert and introvert, for those who have not come across this term before). The sideways portraits are those people for whom it is harder to break through an acted facade, or seem to have more of an introverted personality.

It could also just be the ConcernedApe wanted to give the impression of two friends talking while walking along side by side; I am not aware of anyone who can walk while completely facing the person they are talking to next to him/her/them. Just food for thougt.

dundalol

Sodbuster
I understand that and I wouldnt mind if it was just for low hearts. But you can marry abigail or penny, and they still give you the cold shoulder