Relating to NPCs

MissDandy

Farmer
I wanted to talk about the NPCs a little bit, just because. More specifically, which NPC do you personally feel like you can relate to the most? Thought it might be fun to talk about.

I feel like I can really relate to Sandy. She's out there in the desert all alone all day, but she still has a good attitude and hangs out with her friends in the town when she can. I know how that feels for sure. She also loves flowers like I do. What about you guys?

Last edited:

PookieDoodle

Rancher
Believe it or not, I relate with Linus the most. Fifteen years ago my husband and I lost our house to a fire. We lost everything. Instead of rebuilding our house in Florida we went on an extended road trip. Even though it was horrible losing all of our possession, it freed us. We were both on disability, so our incomes weren't affected. We invested in good camping gear and took three months exploring the United States. Whenever we felt like it, we'd stay in a nice hotel but mostly it was all about the great outdoors. Waking up every day to the smell of coffee brewing on a campfire, sitting my a river fishing, picking berries and making chocolate cake in a crock pot powered by a generator. I saw so many things I never thought I'd see and communed with Nature. I relate with so many of the things that Linus says. Sometimes I miss that time in the morning, waking up, stepping outside the tent just hearing birds chirping and hearing the rustling of tree leaves.

hexnessie

Farmer
I'm mostly Clint. Clinically depressed but too nice to hurt others with his pain (OK that part is all Clint, I'm not nice!), doing a job he was trapped in against his wishes with a smile on his face, with high levels of social anxiety but still trying to connect with people (again, all Clint, I'm not that brave!), kind of settled into his loneliness.

Well, that sounds depressing. Me and Clint, we should talk to Harvey about that therapist in Zuzu Town...

Lew Zealand

Helper
For me it's Clint 100% because I used to be Clint until I realized I didn't need to be a Clint any more. That boy needs more confidence and IMO it's Sandy who's gonna unlock that achievement. Of course this makes Emily the key common ground but Clint's gonna need some help there. I have thoughts about this.

She's out there in the dessert all alone all day...
Ooo, good idea! Clint looks like he loves desserts!

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
I relate to Sebastian the most or at the very least I feel like I can put myself in his shoes the easiest. I deeply relate to the feeling of being trapped in one place and you're trying to save up to go somewhere else, but you're not even entirely sure that's the path for you, and it can be really hard to get out of that without some help, or getting a connection with someone else (like a farmer).

I also admire how close he is to his mom, makes me think about me and my dad, though I would say I am close to both my parents as opposed to just one. Relationship with the siblings is pretty similar to his though, haha.

Polaris

Sodbuster
I am not like any of them either, yet I can relate to most all of them. Linus in particular is one I feel a kinship to as not only is my char competing for the same foraging items in order to eat, but I've had an interesting life that included months living in a tent without any resources or assets. Having been both rich and poor in my life, I can say that there can be both great poverty in wealth and great richness in poverty. The mean npcs are really off-putting to me, and I can only say that hanging in there has benefits. All are very well done and offer great depth to the game.

MissDandy

Farmer
For me it's Clint 100% because I used to be Clint until I realized I didn't need to be a Clint any more. That boy needs more confidence and IMO it's Sandy who's gonna unlock that achievement. Of course this makes Emily the key common ground but Clint's gonna need some help there. I have thoughts about this.

Ooo, good idea! Clint looks like he loves desserts!
Yes I agree! I think it could work. Also it was 4am when I wrote this and I am aware that I spelled desert wrong haha.

MissDandy

Farmer
The variety of characters in SDV is amazing, yet in real life, I am not like any of them. Maybe if I could pick out a tiny fragment from each, and reassemble the parts into some kind of whole . . . This was a good question, Miss Dandy. My heart wants to reach out and express deep sympathy for some of the answers.
I know what you mean. And I know that many of us here have gone through hardships much like some of the characters. I know I sure have. Although none of the characters have gone through dilemmas anything like my own, I can relate to the emotions that come from all their hardships in general. Even though they're just NPC's, it almost feels like you have someone to relate to when you're having a rough time.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Yes I agree! I think it could work. Also it was 4am when I wrote this and I am aware that I spelled desert wrong haha.
Mmmm? I didn't see anything wrong there.

Desert and dessert are interchangeable IMO as the English language exists to be twisted, mangled and generally leg-wrestled into linguistic submission. Witness: James Joyce or "iPhone" and it's interCapping ilk. Both of these things (yes, Mr Joyce is a thing) have generally warped the language to such an extent that the slight transgressions of the occasional character duplication or elimination are merely quarks in a giant Bose-Einstein condensate of... stuff bigger than quarks.

Unfortunately, as far as relatable NPCs go, I am going to say Shane. I know what it feels like to be so depressed, surrounded by people who say they care and never really feeling it. Although in my case it was because they truly didn't care :smile:. I really feel like I have a love hate relationship with Shane. On one hand wanting to give him a happy future where he can be himself and on the other hand hating he can't see those who care about him. I kindda wish I had actually had that, instead I had people always asking more and more from me. Although Shane has that, it's his job at Joja, why can't he get to be a rancher, he is so sweet to the chickens.

Dr. eeL

Farmer
I also admire how close he is to his mom, makes me think about me and my dad, though I would say I am close to both my parents as opposed to just one
Your parents see you as a "treasure and joy" and appreciate your presence. Also, your odds of meeting a real life Sebastian are 100%, so whichever path you choose will be the right one.

Planter
Slight topic bump, hope you don't mind it too much guys

Mine is Sebastian as well, and for more or less the same reasons as Magically Clueless. I've also been through that feeling of being stuck in a life I couldn't enjoy, with no real way out other than completely restart from scratch (which I actually did). I've been through severe depression, social isolation, frustration and the like, and I absolutely feel his need for alone time. I'm the same: I love my friends and I enjoy spending time with them, but some says I just want to stay home alone. I don't think I'm as socially akward as he is (at least not anymore), nor as nihilistic (I'm more kind of pessimistic/stoic). But yeah, I' have no trouble putting myself in his shoes, since they're very similar to mine. Kinda wish I had as close a relationship with a parent as he did though. (I'm on good terms with my parents, but somewhat detached from them. If they want to talk to me, they have to call, I wont unless I need something.)

There's an event from another in the game that really resonated with me as well, and that's the 2-heart(?) event with Maru, where her father is all like "protect my little protégée with a brilliant future from anithing bad" or whatever. That's unfortunately the reason I cannot warm up that much to Maru, because she reminds me too much of a part of my upbringing I don't like. I cannot stand the "brilliant future" kind of nonsense, even on behalf of someone else, because it's that line of thought that drove me in depression in the first place. I've been considered a Maru since I'm old enough to talk. I've been an A+ student from the ages of 4 to 24, constantly praised for my intelligence and academical abilities, without much regards for the other parts of my personality. It just kind of became my whole raison d'être, and it had a huge toll on my mental health, until I deceded I had enough (it also certainly didn't help that I had an undiagnosed mental condition all that time). Maru fortunately seems pretty fine with her genius status, and good for her. Not anything against her per se, but she just embodies a large part of my life that I left behind because it hurt me a lot, and probably a bunch of other people as well.

Kinda interesting that I relate the most to those two diametrically opposite siblings.

I am a mix between Haley and Abigail. :abigail: :haley:

I can relate to Haley in my younger years. I used to be a mean girl. I loved reading fashion magazines.
I always tried my best to look good every day. I used to hurt a lot of people until karma got me. After a broken relationship, I learned to change and moved on.
I recently joined a non-profit organization to help the community.

I strangely relate to Abigail most of the time.
I was shocked that she is like me..... 🤯🤯🤯 Did someone spy on me?

I used to dye my hair purple and have a mix of grunge and a little bit of goth fashion.

I am not a big fan of social gatherings, and I always enjoy being alone. – it stresses me a lot.
I always make comments about people looking at me because I know I am unusual.
Just like Abigail and Caroline, I have a similar relationship with my mom. – she always tells me how to dress up or behave better.
I was privileged enough to attend online schooling and college.
I play the flute (mostly played renaissance songs), and I am curious about occults or spiritual activity.
I used to hang out with many male friends who were almost like Sam, Sebastian, and Alex.
I was the drummer in the band...
What happens to my male friends right now? Sadly, we stopped being friends because they are dating or married, similar to Sebastian and Abigail or Alex and Haley. – their relationship fell apart when a farmer becomes their love interest.

Last edited:
I'm in my thirties but I identify with George. Had a nasty car wreck and had spine surgery as a result. Couldn't work after the accident and the opioids I was given exasperated my undiagnosed bipolar which was prior diagnosed as ADHD as a child. So now I set at home by myself while my wife goes about her day. Also my favorite salad is leek and nappa cabbage with a seasame and soy dressing.