Rekindle friendship once you divorce.

Pluffy

Planter
According to the wikia, once you divorce someone none of your interactions will be the same/positive, the only thing that works is quest. It's not really realistic IMO, yes divorce can be messy but I think mostly, it ends well.

So I think divorce in Stardew valley, will start of the way it is now-but over time with talking/gifts/quest, you will be able to befriend them again, and their quests will turn back to normal, or even a few new ones.

Only problem is, that I don't think it will be anything new or exiting, but it will just be nice.

Ereo

Helper
There is a way to make your spouse forget about you, so you can get back to being friends already.

there is a shrine in the witches hut where you can pay to forget your divorce

imnvs

Local Legend
You need to complete the CC or Joja Community Development projects. After that you can get a quest from the Wizard that eventually unlocks a way to the Witch's Hut where there are a few shrines that can do wacky things, and one of them is make anyone (and everyone if you've done this more than once) you have divorced forget you completely. At that point all ex-spouses have their heart level set to 0 and they stop hating you, as if you had never met. Now you can start making friends with them again. Heck, you could re-marry one of them too, if you were feeling particularly silly.

Pluffy

Planter
But I meant without messing with the characters memories, also I meant only with friendship, while in context of erasing the characters memories was done to remarry them again, so despite logically thinking it could be done with friendship, I've read it on the divorce wikia so in my head it was done only to remarry them again, my fault. My post was meant to be longer which included the erasing their memories, but I wanted to keep it simple.

tomaO2

Planter
I could see some merit in the idea of restoring hearts to 8 and then locking it there, if you just want to be friends again. I'd tie the option with the heart level when you divorce. If you divorce your spouse at 10+ hearts, then why would that person EVER want to talk to you again? Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. On the other hand, if you allow heart levels to deteriorate, and divorce around, say, heart 5 or below, then it could be treated as the spouse feeling like the two of you just didn't work as a couple, so there are less bitter feelings, and after, a set amount of time, perhaps dependent on the exact heart level at time of divorce (minimum 1 month) you can start talking to her normally.

Finally, if spouse heart level reaches 0 she divorces you instead. Since you are the one getting dumped, there is no issue with talking to her afterwards.

I say they should keep friend and romance as different metrics in future games. I mean just because you give someone gifts they shouldn't be in love with you. They should have different things such as sentimental gifts, dates (Alex had a great idea), festival event sharing, jewelry(once per season) or maybe a valentineish holiday (complete with town swanboat ride).

That way you could get meaningful friendship events but at the same time could be working on the romance side. Loss of romance could happen if your the spend weeks at a time on ginger and only talk on the weekends. You could make romance requirements different for different people. Like Haley seems to be the center of attention type and would need convo near daily. While abagail or Sebastian would probably ding you in points for being clingy. Selling cheap goods(silver and below) would probably make leah mad at you for taking the easy road to money which is why she left her ex while selling purple tier goods would make her more content.

Splitting the two seems to me as a good route as the current hearts only seem to be for familiarity. Maybe splitting the hearts further to making three categories would be better. One for familiarity, friendship, and romance.

rippytrippy

Planter
at least give them more dialog. Before I reset Sebby all he would say was "why do you keep bothering me? I'm trying to forget about you".

at least give them more dialog. Before I reset Sebby all he would say was "why do you keep bothering me? I'm trying to forget about you".
Ikr. all Elliott says to me now is " How can you do this to me? Can't you see you've destroyed all my hopes and dreams?" He's pretty dramatic

Quirinea

Farmer
Actually I've been cursing that you can only get at 8 hearts if you don't start a romance with romanceable persons (one thing is that it messes up the list order -- especially if you have mods adding people -- like RSV -- ouch). Would be best to have the same maximum for all -- as just friends and then possible romance.
I also got a mod idea (I don't know how hard it would be technically): not all are interested + sexual orientation. So you could set at the start whether you will romance men, women or both and then the game would give you a random subset according to the criterion (minimum four?) Or choosing the possible candidates at the start.