Rainbow trout pond issue

Rhiannon

Farmer
I know that one of the possibilities for gifts from the rainbow trout pond is a prismatic shard. Lately, once in a blue moon, I get NOTHING from the pond. Is that a bug of some kind?

Boo1972

Farmer
I’d be curious to know if you ever get a prismatic shard from the rainbow trout. I tried it once but got bored with waiting so I switched the pond out.

PookieDoodle

Rancher
I’d be curious to know if you ever get a prismatic shard from the rainbow trout. I tried it once but got bored with waiting so I switched the pond out.
Last playthrough I started getting them from my rainbow trout pond on a pretty regular basis. But only after I had 10 rainbow trout in the pond. The ponds are like the traveling cart woman, they can really help you out with things you're in need of.

Last playthrough I started getting them from my rainbow trout pond on a pretty regular basis. But only after I had 10 rainbow trout in the pond. The ponds are like the traveling cart woman, they can really help you out with things you're in need of.
If you were getting them on a fairly regular basis I wonder if the info on the wiki is accurate. According to the numbers there they should only spawn a prismatic shard at 10 population .1% of the time, or once every several years on average. Your experience was pretty drastically different from that it sounds like? Has anyone else had a 10 pop rainbow trout pond who can share whether their experience similarly differed from the wiki percentages?

Boo1972

Farmer
If you were getting them on a fairly regular basis I wonder if the info on the wiki is accurate. According to the numbers there they should only spawn a prismatic shard at 10 population .1% of the time, or once every several years on average. Your experience was pretty drastically different from that it sounds like? Has anyone else had a 10 pop rainbow trout pond who can share whether their experience similarly differed from the wiki percentages?
I did not, but that was 1.4 on mobile. It didn’t seem worth trying on my beach farm, I have more prismatic shards then I know what to do with. Maybe Pookiedoodle was just super lucky.

imnvs

Local Legend
According to the numbers there they should only spawn a prismatic shard at 10 population .1% of the time, or once every several years on average.
0.1% is 1 out of 1 thousand days. There are 112 days per year, so 1 every 1000 days is actually about 1 shard every 9 years.

I had a rainbow trout pond once... I emptied it because it isn't worth it.

PookieDoodle

Rancher
I did not, but that was 1.4 on mobile. It didn’t seem worth trying on my beach farm, I have more prismatic shards then I know what to do with. Maybe Pookiedoodle was just super lucky.
Since the upgrade I've been getting a lot of certain items. Currently I have 28 prismatic shards and 42 of those owl statues. Seriously, what's the deal with the owl statues?

Boo1972

Farmer
Since the upgrade I've been getting a lot of certain items. Currently I have 28 prismatic shards and 42 of those owl statues. Seriously, what's the deal with the owl statues?
Okay, maybe something is up with your farm. I’m in year 6 and only have 2 owl statues. 42 is an insane amount!

Elenna101

Farmer
Umm... yeah I think your RNG is messed up (but apparently in a good way). I think it should have a 1% chance of putting down an owl statue each night if it finds an empty space. @BlaDe can probably confirm the exact numbers, but anyways unless you've been playing for a ridiculously large amount of time since the update, you're definitely way over what you should have! (I'm curious, what platform are you on?)

PookieDoodle

Rancher
Okay, maybe something is up with your farm. I’m in year 6 and only have 2 owl statues. 42 is an insane amount!
I know, it is. I'm in year 13. I don't know what to do with all the owl statues. I wish I could 'gift' them to Marnie. She gave me a rock at the Feast of the Winter Star one year. ...it wasn't so much that she gave me a rock, which I can always use. It was the idea of her gift wrapping it first. lol

PookieDoodle

Rancher
Umm... yeah I think your RNG is messed up (but apparently in a good way). I think it should have a 1% chance of putting down an owl statue each night if it finds an empty space. @BlaDe can probably confirm the exact numbers, but anyways unless you've been playing for a ridiculously large amount of time since the update, you're definitely way over what you should have! (I'm curious, what platform are you on?)
I play on a pc through Steam. 🙂

Rhiannon

Farmer
Wow. Interesting replies. I have gotten zero prismatic shards. I have gotten maybe two rainbow shells, tons of roe and about half a dozen times in one game year, absolutely nothing. At first I thought it was because I had already gathered the roe and forgot. I guess my luck with the rng is just really bad.

I've gotten three owl statues though in that same period of time.

imnvs

Local Legend
I have gotten zero prismatic shards. I have gotten maybe two rainbow shells, tons of roe and about half a dozen times in one game year, absolutely nothing.
Please, believe that your experience mirrors mine and that of most everyone else, so far as I know. (Except @PookieDoodle, who apparently wrought a deal with the devil. Srsly, I expect the seed to be all 6s.) Besides that, your experience follows exactly what one should expect when compared to all mathematical analysis I have on the subject too.

As I said, the rainbow trout pond isn't worth it. I base this judgment on both math and personal experience.

Last edited:

Rhiannon

Farmer
As I said, the rainbow trout pond isn't worth it. I base this judgment on both math and personal experience.
and yet, I keep hoping and check the pond every single day in hopes that I will get that lovely item. I only had 5 in my stash but gave up 4 for a reason I'm sure you know. And now I'm cracking an omni geode every day in the same hope and having my dreams crushed daily. If it wasn't for a barn full of the cutest ostriches with those silly faces, my life on the farm would be miserable.

imnvs

Local Legend
and yet, I keep hoping and check the pond every single day in hopes that I will get that lovely item. I only had 5 in my stash but gave up 4 for a reason I'm sure you know. And now I'm cracking an omni geode every day in the same hope and having my dreams crushed daily. If it wasn't for a barn full of the cutest ostriches with those silly faces, my life on the farm would be miserable.
The best ways to get prismatic shards?

- Mining in the Skull Cavern
- Mining in the Mines on hard mode
- getting perfection (afterward, if you collect your reward for perfection, you gain 1 prismatic shard/day)

hexnessie

Farmer
The best ways to get prismatic shards?

- Mining in the Skull Cavern
- Mining in the Mines on hard mode
- getting perfection (afterward, if you collect your reward for perfection, you gain 1 prismatic shard/day)
Except for those of us who are really, really in to FARMING things and would prefer to fill the entire farm with trout ponds just to see if it's possible to farm shards that way.

Actually, now that I unlocked the island farm, I could move crop farming there and just trout it all the way in the valley farm... Hm. Sounds like an interesting option! (Bonus: No Flying Snakes)

imnvs

Local Legend
Except for those of us who are really, really in to FARMING things and would prefer to fill the entire farm with trout ponds just to see if it's possible to farm shards that way.

Actually, now that I unlocked the island farm, I could move crop farming there and just trout it all the way in the valley farm... Hm. Sounds like an interesting option! (Bonus: No Flying Snakes)
Do you use ponds to get iron ore too? You can't rely on "farming" for everything if you want a reliable way to get some things.

You want to go ahead anyway? Just know that it isn't recommended because, on average, 1 prismatic shard every 9 years per pond.

hexnessie

Farmer
Do you use ponds to get iron ore too?
Crab pots & trash -- was my main source of coal and iron for a long while in the beginning. Trash has better odds at producing coal and iron than geodes.

Later on, farming slimes -- coal, iridium ore and bars, and other useful drops from my hut of purples.

Anyway, my post was mostly tongue-in-cheek, although I'm in love with less obvious ways of getting things, filling the farm with only fish ponds would be a bit boring.