Question about Deluxe Retaining Soil

Lew Zealand

Helper
While I don't know the specific answer to your question, I've been keeping track of the Deluxe Speed-Gro in my 3x3 Greenhouse plot for Starfruit and over at least a half year now, it has not disappeared. And I anticipated it going away on Day 1 of the following season/month but it hasn't now after at least 2 transitions. I don't know if that's a bug or intended behavior, but it may very well be that the Garden Pots work the same with Retaining Soil in your case.

Shart

Planter
If it's multi harvest crops like hops/pineapple etc, the fertilizer will stay there forever and you dont need to water them ever again. If its single harvest crops, you need to re-fertilize it each time you harvest it AFAIK

Xx_Aikra_xX

Tiller
If I placed a Deluxe Retaining Soil in a garden pot in my cellar or inside my house, does it expired every season? Since fertilizers expired every next season right?
Deluxe retaining soil will never expire with indoor pots, the greenhouse or on ginger island if growing multi-yield plants such as ancient fruit(GH and Ginger Island only), pineapples, etc. I have four sheds of potted pineapples supplementing my ancient fruit operation, and my greenhouse and ginger island are both covered completely in deluxe retaining soil. Ive never had to replenish the retaining soil.

Lew Zealand

Helper
I seem to remember trying this a month or two ago and IIRC you cannot put Deluxe Retaining Soil in pots in the Farmhouse. It was fine for Pots in the Greenhouse and I haven't tried in Sheds, etc. yet. But no Retaining Soil in the Farmhouse. Probably an Abigail rule 'cause David Jr. doesn't like the smell or something. It's OK, I'll just water my indoor Cactus Garden to make it look like I'm actually doing something every day on the Farm...

Hill Myna

Farmer
I seem to remember trying this a month or two ago and IIRC you cannot put Deluxe Retaining Soil in pots in the Farmhouse. It was fine for Pots in the Greenhouse and I haven't tried in Sheds, etc. yet. But no Retaining Soil in the Farmhouse. Probably an Abigail rule 'cause David Jr. doesn't like the smell or something. It's OK, I'll just water my indoor Cactus Garden to make it look like I'm actually doing something every day on the Farm...
No, you can definitely put Deluxe Retaining Soil in Pots anywhere that Pots can be placed (see: everywhere).

Deluxe Retaining Soil running dry after single-harvest crops was a bug. It was patched in 1.5.5 for PC (IIRC. Could be 1.5.6). This update is yet to come to consoles.

Lew Zealand

Helper
No, you can definitely put Deluxe Retaining Soil in Pots anywhere that Pots can be placed (see: everywhere).

Deluxe Retaining Soil running dry after single-harvest crops was a bug. It was patched in 1.5.5 for PC (IIRC. Could be 1.5.6). This update is yet to come to consoles.
I think I know what I did wrong!

I probably tried to add the Retaining Soil before watering the Pots. You have to add the Soil after watering. Thanks! Now Abby will understand my true lazy nature.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Deluxe retaining soil will never expire with indoor pots, the greenhouse or on ginger island if growing multi-yield plants such as ancient fruit(GH and Ginger Island only), pineapples, etc. I have four sheds of potted pineapples supplementing my ancient fruit operation, and my greenhouse and ginger island are both covered completely in deluxe retaining soil. Ive never had to replenish the retaining soil.
It won't expire with single harvest crops either since 1.5.5.

hexnessie

Farmer
I probably tried to add the Retaining Soil before watering the Pots.
You might have added another fertilizer previously. You cannot replace one fertilizer with another, you have to pick up the pot and replace it to refill with the new one.

I usually have 20+ crops growing inhouse with DRS, and the only time I wasn't able to put DRS in a pot was when I forgot it had Speed-Gro in it before.

Lew Zealand

Helper
You might have added another fertilizer previously. You cannot replace one fertilizer with another, you have to pick up the pot and replace it to refill with the new one.

I usually have 20+ crops growing inhouse with DRS, and the only time I wasn't able to put DRS in a pot was when I forgot it had Speed-Gro in it before.
Thank you for this reminder as I very likely did that, of course with Speed-Gro. I'll probably Pickaxe them and use the Deluxe Retaining Soil for my indoor ever-Cactus Crop Maze plan to rule the world and annoy the kids.

oops, forgot:

Muaahhahahahahhaaahahaahaaa!

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Thank you for this reminder as I very likely did that, of course with Speed-Gro. I'll probably Pickaxe them and use the Deluxe Retaining Soil for my indoor ever-Cactus Crop Maze plan to rule the world and annoy the kids.

oops, forgot:

Muaahhahahahahhaaahahaahaaa!
I have a proposed experiment for you if you are willing to check the outcome for me...

If a child eats or otherwise ingests retaining soil, does it help with water needs with them too?
I know I make millions a day but that water bill is always too high with kids running around like that, you think I could buy it as a pill form?
Also, the spouce too, you think they would take it? A ruse perhaps to make them eat the pill, but weekly or even daily? How could I? (not morally of course)

Jenntastic

Greenhorn
I've used deluxe retaining soil in my farmhouse pots for coffee for several months now and have never had a problem. If you couldn't use it in the farmhouse then it wouldn't let you. Your comment is ridiculous.

Lew Zealand

Helper
I've used deluxe retaining soil in my farmhouse pots for coffee for several months now and have never had a problem. If you couldn't use it in the farmhouse then it wouldn't let you. Your comment is ridiculous.
Judgy much? Keep reading the thread and we figured out what happened. I'd already used Speed-Gro or something else, which then prevents you from adding another soil treatment.

Wow! That's over 800 tiles of Deluxe Retaining Soil on Ginger Island! Kudos!

I didn't have that kind of patience and started using Iridium sprinklers and Ancient Fruit Seeds from the get-go once I unlocked Ginger Island West. I have Ancient Fruit all over the area directly in front of the Island Farmhouse except for something like 17 tiles that are occupied by sprinklers and 9 tiles occupied by Mango and Banana Trees. I also enjoyed how quickly these Ancient Fruit plants grew under the influence of Deluxe Speed-Gro (thanks Sandy).

The main problem with Deluxe Retaining Soil is that the game technically counts it as a "fertilizer". Because of this, you can't place another fertilizer like Deluxe Speed-Gro inside your Deluxe Retaining Soil (you'll get the message "Already Fertilized" or something like that)