Prismatic Shards, the easy way

hexnessie

Farmer
Hey, so I thought I'd share this for other newbies who aren't really that good at fighting at the Skull Cavern, like me. As you may know, I've been assembling my "fighting outfit" and practicing to go the Cavern and hunt for shards.

However! As it turns out, during my practice runs in the town's mines, on levels 1-15, I have already found 2 shards and 3 souls. The catch: the mines need to be in the "Dangerous" state. If you can get it there, you will be able to hunt for shards daily with absolutely no danger to yourself.

Steps:
1. Get the Slime Charmer ring (early mine levels have mostly slimes as enemies, so you are immune to most harm!)
2. Tun the mines "Dangerous" (if you need lots of prismatic shards and souls, you probably already know how)
3. Whenever you have the time, go through a few early levels in the mines.
(No need to prepare, wait for good daily luck, eat special foods. Just jump in, kill some slimes, go home.)

Granted, it's probably the "long way round" approach, but it's still something that can be done nearly every day at absolutely 0 risk, so why not?

Polaris

Sodbuster
Hey, so I thought I'd share this for other newbies who aren't really that good at fighting at the Skull Cavern, like me. As you may know, I've been assembling my "fighting outfit" and practicing to go the Cavern and hunt for shards.

However! As it turns out, during my practice runs in the town's mines, on levels 1-15, I have already found 2 shards and 3 souls. The catch: the mines need to be in the "Dangerous" state. If you can get it there, you will be able to hunt for shards daily with absolutely no danger to yourself.

Steps:
1. Get the Slime Charmer ring (early mine levels have mostly slimes as enemies, so you are immune to most harm!)
2. Tun the mines "Dangerous" (if you need lots of prismatic shards and souls, you probably already know how)
3. Whenever you have the time, go through a few early levels in the mines.
(No need to prepare, wait for good daily luck, eat special foods. Just jump in, kill some slimes, go home.)

Granted, it's probably the "long way round" approach, but it's still something that can be done nearly every day at absolutely 0 risk, so why not?
Hey thanks for posting this. I'm on my 4th save and have never seen a prismatic shard drop so any hints how to make that happen are super helpful!

If you want easy you can do this way before ginger island. Save all jades. You can trade them to the desert trader for staircases. Ignore the levels until your around 60 in the sc. Start bomb mining. Megabombs work best but are the moste expensive and tend to harm you. Bomb iridium nodes they have a chance at prismatic ore. Often I can get enough iridium for all tools upgraded and some left over for willy's boat.

hexnessie

Farmer
If you want easy you can do this way before ginger island. Save all jades. You can trade them to the desert trader for staircases. Ignore the levels until your around 60 in the sc. Start bomb mining. Megabombs work best but are the moste expensive and tend to harm you. Bomb iridium nodes they have a chance at prismatic ore. Often I can get enough iridium for all tools upgraded and some left over for willy's boat.
That's the RIGHT way to get shards, absolutely! But it's also time-and-effort consuming, not something you can do every day on a whim. In the time it takes me to get the "right" luck of the day, replicate jade, make/buy bombs, get a full free day to devote to Skull Cavern... well, let's just say that I got another Prismatic Shard and Galaxy Soul today just going through the mines after 8 PM as usual, hunting for radioactive ore.

The conclusion is you don't have to go all-out with The Skull Cavern Expeditionary Forces if you only want some Shards!

ETA: And now I got another :) This time from Shadow Shamans though. I like killing Shadow People (don't tell Krobus) because they don't bounce away and go down quickly with the Crusader enchantment.

Last edited:
True don't get me wrong your way is a lot more effective and can leave you with those auto petters and a few more premium items other than shards and souls.

Just put the other method as your requires you to be post walnut collection ginger which some people have problems getting iridium for the boat pre grandpa's farm eval

Also a luck ring and a bandit ring would affect your drops though it would probably only give you one extra shard every other run on average

hexnessie

Farmer
HEYYYYY, listen, you don't even have to go to Ginger Island and turn the mines dangerous!

You can find the Prismatic Shard just by going to the bottom of the mines ONCE, and then killing green slimes over and over.

(I made a new save and been playing a bit, and he just found the shard, in Year 1, with no effort whatsoever. No need to even set foot in Skull Cavern or on the Island!)

Sorry, I got excited.

Elenna101

Farmer
HEYYYYY, listen, you don't even have to go to Ginger Island and turn the mines dangerous!

You can find the Prismatic Shard just by going to the bottom of the mines ONCE, and then killing green slimes over and over.

(I made a new save and been playing a bit, and he just found the shard, in Year 1, with no effort whatsoever. No need to even set foot in Skull Cavern or on the Island!)

Sorry, I got excited.
It doesn't have to be green slimes, after you get to the bottom of the mines any enemy has a 1/2000 chance to drop a prismatic shard. So yeah, that's an option. It's a very small chance but if you only want one and you don't like any of the other options, that's something you can do.

Polaris

Sodbuster
The other side of this is 4 saves that have never seen a prismatic shard - ever. Year 3, 4, 6 ,7... Never seen one.

hexnessie

Farmer
The green slime idea was just to choose the easiest enemy that dies in 1 hit and you can kill them by the dozen. already got 3 shards on the new save, just by killing the easiest monsters and doing quests/special orders in the mines. I'm not even level 8 in combat yet! The key is to get to the bottom of the mines fast, and then backtrack and keep killing easy things.

1 shard dropped in Secret Woods, from a blue slime this time.

I am PRISMATIZED.

Elenna101

Farmer
The green slime idea was just to choose the easiest enemy that dies in 1 hit and you can kill them by the dozen. already got 3 shards on the new save, just by killing the easiest monsters and doing quests/special orders in the mines. I'm not even level 8 in combat yet! The key is to get to the bottom of the mines fast, and then backtrack and keep killing easy things.

1 shard dropped in Secret Woods, from a blue slime this time.

I am PRISMATIZED.
Sure, yeah, green slimes work fine - I just wanted to clarify that you can also kill other enemies. And grubs and dust sprites tend to spawn in groups so you can get lots of them at once, unlike slimes.