Only Farming / Foraging / Fishing / Mining & Combat Challenge Runs

Greetings!

I figured it would be fun to do challenge runs where you are a "pure" farmer / forager / fisher / miner. The idea of the challenge is that you must maintain 0 XP on any skills other than your chosen one. Any activities which grant XP of a type other than the assigned one are strictly forbidden. The goal is to get the Community Center done as early as possible. For obvious reasons this requires going the Joja route, and for hopefully obvious reasons I'd consider RNG / Seed Manipulation based runs to be a separate category from runs which don't utilize those tools.

So I am going to fire up those challenges sometime this week or next, but before I do, I wanted to gather insights from folks regarding potential strategies, and map out potential stumbling blocks.

So first, what are the forbidden activities?

Farming
- Unless you're on a "farming only" challenge run, you can't harvest any crops (note that wild seeds grown produce foraging XP, not farming XP). You can't pet, milk, or shear any animals, or pick up any animal products inside a barn or coop (note that Truffles provide foraging XP not farming XP, as they are outside the barn or coop not inside).

Foraging - Unless you're on a "foraging only" challenge run, you can't chop down any fully grown trees, stumps, or logs with an axe. You can't pick up any forage items from the ground, including Fruit in the Fruit cave, Mushrooms in the Mines, Beach items, Truffles, or items grown from Wild Seeds.

Mining & Combat - Unless you're on a Mining and Combat only run, you can't break any rocks nor kill any monsters. Note that I combined these because having them separate would be too dumb for even me to tolerate. And yes, seriously, no rocks broken in any way under any circumstances.

Fishing - Unless you're on a "fishing only" challenge run, you can't use the fishing rod or crab pots. It's basically that easy, just don't touch those things and you won't run into trouble.

What notable things ARE allowed?

Picking up Gems doesn't grant forage XP, as long as you don't choose the skill which gives a chance for double gem drops.
Mushrooms in the Mushroom cave don't grant XP, nor do Salmonberries or Blackberries.
Chopping up the sticks on the ground and cutting weeds doesn't grant XP.
Going through people's trash.
Digging up the ground in general, including but not limited to worm spots.
Smelting Ore (note that Clint will give you the furnace recipe if you buy some ore from him).
Talking with people, giving gifts, doing quests, etc.

How can you check if you broke the rules?

Open your save file. Start from the top and search for "exp" to find the Experience Points flags. If more than 1 (or 2 for mining and combat) as a value above 0, you messed up.

All told then, here are my thoughts on each:
Farming - This seems like the "easy" one, but remember, you can't chop down any trees or break any rocks! As such free space to do things will be somewhat limited. I'm not certain whether or not the standard map is the best option, it'll warrant testing. It's the only one which will gain access to sprinklers or animals though and definitely will play closest to a standard run. Space will be at a premium and as such proactively stopping trees from spreading (you can dig the acorns out of the ground or scythe down sprouts, you can even chop down tiny trees, just can't chop them once they're fully grown) is likely to be priority 1.
Foraging - This is likely the *actual* easy one, especially with the Tea Sapling strategy which has been identified. You don't have to just break sticks for wood for chests, you can easily clear space on the farm (still no rocks though) and you have free income from the beach (on both sides) as well as access to the Fruit Bats while everyone else is stuck with the mushroom cave. I predict this one will be smooth and simple.
Fishing - The profit early on will likely be the absolute best of any of them. The trouble will be continuing that rate of profit as you move forward. The only option for "reinvesting" is crab pots, which cost 1500 and return (without Mariner) 30 G per day in profit (paying for themselves after 50 days). It may well be worth getting Mariner instead of usual fishing profit related benefits, as with that the crab pots are averaging 60 gold per day. That may still be worse than just baseline fishing though. It'll be interesting to see regardless.
Mining and Combat - For those who RNG manipulate, this would definitely be the preferred one. You can do some sick things with Geodes I'm sure. Otherwise, I still think it'll be pretty solid as folks tend to underestimate how much bars of ore and monster parts sell for (probably because normally they like me just hoard them all and don't ever actually sell them).

I'm very interested in any tips or tricks anyone may have, or results if someone has tried this previously. I'll use this thread to post my results, which definitely won't be super optimized but at minimum it should be fun to see which one emerges on top, and how wide the gaps are between them.

Boo1972

Farmer
Just quickly, crab pots on the beach farm are pretty awesome. I seem to get lobsters far easier there than on the actual beach. I know the riverland farm is the one most people would chose for a fishing run but don’t overlook the beach farm!

if you have managed to unlock the dwarf, could you bomb the trees and rocks on your farm?

Just quickly, crab pots on the beach farm are pretty awesome. I seem to get lobsters far easier there than on the actual beach. I know the riverland farm is the one most people would chose for a fishing run but don’t overlook the beach farm!

if you have managed to unlock the dwarf, could you bomb the trees and rocks on your farm?
Can't unlock the dwarf with anything other than the mining and combat run, you'll never get any dwarvish translation scrolls. If you were to find adequate bombs via the traveling cart or something, then what BlaDe said applies, you can safely bomb trees (you can even weaken them with an axe first as long as it's the bomb which fells them not the axe), but you can't blow up any rocks. In practice I can't see how it would come up too often. Yeah the ocean crab pots are definitely more intriguing than river ones, I'm probably going Riverland for my run at it just because I have played on the Beach far longer and more recently than the Riverland personally, but I strongly suspect the Beach farm is the more optimal one for the challenge in question.

Ok! I've started my first of the challenge runs, the one I figure will be easiest for me. Meet my farmer:

Fisher Pryce.JPG

The first thing I discovered is something I had sort of realized, but I hadn't fully comprehended the implications: Trees, to an extent, but more importantly Rocks, are a slow cancer destroying my farm. Already there are parts of the farm which are inaccessible to me:
access denied.JPG
blocked south.JPG

Already then I can't use the southern entrance to the farm. Other parts will drop off over time, the main bridge going south from my farmhouse is just a couple of bad spawns away from being blocked off:
danger zone.JPG

This makes me think that the Foraging run might not be as easy as I had envisioned, and the Farming run seems likely to turn into nightmare fuel. However this is neither of those runs! This is the Fishing run, and it doesn't matter at all if the Shrine, Greenhouse, path north, and literally everything but the path between my door and the bus stop gets blocked off. All I need to do is resist the temptation to break those rocks or chop those trees, and I'll be just fine. Already I've started walking towards a piece of forage out of habit half a dozen times, so I'm backing up my save frequently so I can recover from the disaster which I already know is inevitable.

In terms of progress towards my quest, Mr. Pryce had about the worst luck imaginable in fish distribution and bubbles on day 2, not a single set of bubbles, terrible bite rate, and 20 catches in a row after switching back to the bamboo pole without a single halibut or flounder. I really considered redoing the day but my perfect catch rate was really on point (warmed up from having tested a couple of day 2 strategies recently it seems) so I somehow still (barely) made my minimum thresholds; 2000+G and 1000+ XP. Day 3 I caught 9 Catfish and let 3 slip (2 because of getting greedy going for treasure chests, the 3rd just juked me into oblivion) and as such hit level 5 fishing quite easily, putting me into day 4 with over 6500 in the bank and a solid start all things considered. I don't expect any of the other paths to have as high of a cash total this early on. Fishing is always a good path to a fast start though, in most cases it's just outgrown as other options ramp up profitability. It'll be interesting to see what the relative profits of each path look like on Summer 4 or Fall 4 much more than Spring 4 after all. Still, I'm glad to have the adventure underway!

Ok! I've started my first of the challenge runs, the one I figure will be easiest for me. Meet my farmer:

View attachment 8198
The first thing I discovered is something I had sort of realized, but I hadn't fully comprehended the implications: Trees, to an extent, but more importantly Rocks, are a slow cancer destroying my farm. Already there are parts of the farm which are inaccessible to me:
View attachment 8199 View attachment 8200
Already then I can't use the southern entrance to the farm. Other parts will drop off over time, the main bridge going south from my farmhouse is just a couple of bad spawns away from being blocked off:
View attachment 8201
This makes me think that the Foraging run might not be as easy as I had envisioned, and the Farming run seems likely to turn into nightmare fuel. However this is neither of those runs! This is the Fishing run, and it doesn't matter at all if the Shrine, Greenhouse, path north, and literally everything but the path between my door and the bus stop gets blocked off. All I need to do is resist the temptation to break those rocks or chop those trees, and I'll be just fine. Already I've started walking towards a piece of forage out of habit half a dozen times, so I'm backing up my save frequently so I can recover from the disaster which I already know is inevitable.

In terms of progress towards my quest, Mr. Pryce had about the worst luck imaginable in fish distribution and bubbles on day 2, not a single set of bubbles, terrible bite rate, and 20 catches in a row after switching back to the bamboo pole without a single halibut or flounder. I really considered redoing the day but my perfect catch rate was really on point (warmed up from having tested a couple of day 2 strategies recently it seems) so I somehow still (barely) made my minimum thresholds; 2000+G and 1000+ XP. Day 3 I caught 9 Catfish and let 3 slip (2 because of getting greedy going for treasure chests, the 3rd just juked me into oblivion) and as such hit level 5 fishing quite easily, putting me into day 4 with over 6500 in the bank and a solid start all things considered. I don't expect any of the other paths to have as high of a cash total this early on. Fishing is always a good path to a fast start though, in most cases it's just outgrown as other options ramp up profitability. It'll be interesting to see what the relative profits of each path look like on Summer 4 or Fall 4 much more than Spring 4 after all. Still, I'm glad to have the adventure underway!
Nice! If you're at all interested in watching a playthrough somewhat similar to what you are doing, my favorite Youtuber, Wand Of Sparking made a playthrough a while ago where he didn't use any of the starter tools. It was very interesting, and he had the exact same issue with rocks, trees, fiber, etc. On a different note, I never fully realized how profitable fishing was until I recently began a new playthrough where I blitzed through the early levels of fishing and made TONS of money very early into spring. I hit level 10 fishing by spring 13 and have 50k total earnings on spring 15th. I thought that was insane because in my first run I all but ignored fishing. I now realize that that was a HUGE mistake. Thanks for the update on your idea!

Elenna101

Farmer

View attachment 8198
View attachment 8199 View attachment 8200
View attachment 8201

Oof. And of course the multitude of bridges (and thus easy-to-block areas) on the fishing map doesn't help.

For the farming challenge, you could try fencing off the area you're farming in and a path to it, maybe? Although the bigger issue there is finding a large enough area that doesn't have rocks in it to start with. IIRC the beach map starts off with a large area near the bottom that has large stumps in it and initially doesn't have much other debris, and I imagine you wouldn't be using many sprinklers anyways since you can't get mining XP. You could maybe cover the area in paths when there aren't crops there, to prevent debris from spawning within the fenced area.

imnvs

Local Legend
You could maybe cover the area in paths when there aren't crops there, to prevent debris from spawning within the fenced area.
Except you need iron, wood, stone or quartz for fences and paths. Those all take foraging experience to acquire.

Except you need iron, wood, stone or quartz for fences and paths. Those all take foraging experience to acquire.
Wood I've been able to scrounge up so far by breaking up sticks, which doesn't grant XP. Mind you, I only got 100 of it and to get that much I had to dig pretty far into the forest near Marnie's, but you can get it. More likely I'd buy it from Robin. Same with Stone, though it seems like a more expensive way to acquire the same end result. Quartz I'd have to get lucky off of garbage cans to acquire but it could be done. That or I could get lucky with a Ghostfish spawning in the Traveling Cart, and making a Fish Pond out of it. Though finding a spot to put the Fish Pond which I'll be able to reach later on might be easier said than done.

All this being said, I'm fairly certain paths can be replaced by spawning rocks, or spreading weeds (though the latter would be my own fault). Still very worthwhile, and it helps protect against start of season spawn ins, but unless I'm mistaken it's not immune to the slow spread of rock. Are fences immune to damage from "spreading weeds"? I might need to look up spawning mechanics so I better understand them, not necessarily for this run but certainly for farming and forage runs.

As a side note buying materials is also how I plan on getting sprinklers for the farming run. It's expensive, but it avoids the need for mining XP.

LRangerR

Local Legend
As a side note buying materials is also how I plan on getting sprinklers for the farming run. It's expensive, but it avoids the need for mining XP.
If you check out my shameless plug HERE you can see that I am doing something similar to what you're doing, but with less restrictions. More or less I'm doing a forage/farming run, and i'm not allowed to go into the mines or use the fishing rod until i reach level 10 in the respective skills (i did use it once to see if i could catch a catfish, and i now have an aquarium with a sunfish or something). I've had a lot of trouble in regards to sprinklers. An upgraded watering can is definitely recommended, and I think the best time to do it would be right around Alex's bithday. However, something that you're definitely going to want to keep an eye out for (and some money saved up) is to see if the Cart Lady is selling sprinklers or quartz.

hexnessie

Farmer
All I can say is YIKES! That is indeed some scary challenge! I do not believe I would ever be able to make it.

As I'm still a total wuss, I might attempt doing a "3 out of 4" kiddie-level challenge of the sort, where I would not be allowed to get XP in 1 of the skill areas and would have to make do with the other 3.

Elenna101

Farmer
Wood I've been able to scrounge up so far by breaking up sticks, which doesn't grant XP. Mind you, I only got 100 of it and to get that much I had to dig pretty far into the forest near Marnie's, but you can get it. More likely I'd buy it from Robin. Same with Stone, though it seems like a more expensive way to acquire the same end result. Quartz I'd have to get lucky off of garbage cans to acquire but it could be done. That or I could get lucky with a Ghostfish spawning in the Traveling Cart, and making a Fish Pond out of it. Though finding a spot to put the Fish Pond which I'll be able to reach later on might be easier said than done.

All this being said, I'm fairly certain paths can be replaced by spawning rocks, or spreading weeds (though the latter would be my own fault). Still very worthwhile, and it helps protect against start of season spawn ins, but unless I'm mistaken it's not immune to the slow spread of rock. Are fences immune to damage from "spreading weeds"? I might need to look up spawning mechanics so I better understand them, not necessarily for this run but certainly for farming and forage runs.

TheHaboo (on Twitch) used a mix of fences and tea saplings when he had a similar issue in his "no XP CC completion" run, and IIRC the fences did stop the debris from spreading (as long as you don't let them decay, of course). So yeah, my thought process was that you could fence in an area to prevent debris from spreading into it, and then cover the area in paths to prevent debris from spawning inside the fenced area. @BlaDe could probably tell you for sure if it would work, though.
(In case you're wondering, Haboo used forage bought from the travelling cart to make wild seeds for tea saplings.)

As for stone vs wood fences, stone fences cost twice as much but last slightly more than twice as long, so I guess technically they're better if you're buying all the materials? Although wood is definitely easier to obtain without getting XP.
Speaking of which, bombing rocks gives mining XP, but for whatever reason bombing trees doesn't give foraging XP. This probably doesn't help on the farm since it's hard to find a bomb placement that wouldn't hit a rock, but you might be able to get some wood by bombing trees off the farm. You'd probably have to befriend Kent and then hope for bombs in the mail, I can't think of any other way to get them.

Boo1972

Farmer
Might be an odd question but, how long do you think you could keep only fishing? I assume you’ll buy wood soon for a path out, so I don’t mean you’ll be stuck on the farm. I was wondering if you’ll tire of the run. I’m already tired of the standard fishing heavy opening and can’t really imagine spending all day every day fishing. And it’s probably my best skill.

Reactions: Tom

LRangerR

Local Legend
If you can figure out how to create fishing ponds you could probably do fishing for a very long time and still be viable.