PC [BUG] No Sound after 1.5.5 update

Purake

Greenhorn
The title pretty much says it all, there's no sound in the game after the update. I've verified all of the in-game settings and OS settings (Windows 10), everything checks out. Stardew is the only program having sound issues, everything else is fine.

The game and Steam client have been reinstalled, computer rebooted, .NET and XNA framework have been repaired. Confirmed that the proper device is selected as well. Volume mixer shows that game sound isn't muted or turned down.

If the download cannot fix it, Try this method instead. Let me know if it works or not.
If, for any reason, you want to play on the “legacy” 32-bit version, it’s still available on Steam (right click Stardew > properties > betas > select “Compatibility” version).

Last edited:

steeldollhouse

Greenhorn
Hey, I know this is literally months later, but I just spent AGES looking for an answer to this and stumbled upon a solution that worked for me.

Try using Bluetooth headphones.

For some reason that I can only assume is a tiny coding bug, my game throws a NoAudioHardware exception and won't have any sounds (unless I play in compatibility mode) when I use speakers or wired headphones, but if I use Bluetooth headphones, it works perfectly. I don't know why. I'm guessing that somewhere in the change to Monogame in the code, some tiny bug is preventing the game from recognizing hardwired audio connections.