New to Stardew Valley

Multanox

Sodbuster
There are many ways to start the game. First of all: stop struggling and just enjoy it and try to find out what you want to do. Do you prefer to have some animals or lot of crops? Maybe the production of beer or wine is the best way to gain money for you. Discover the mining world. Or something like that. I was playing the game for more than 100 hours before starting to use StardewWiki or this forum. Have lot of fun - to play this game for the first time is something special 😉

Draggar

Greenhorn
I just started about a week and a half ago.

Step 1 (and most important): Have fun. :D Play around and find out what you like to do - farming, fishing, mining, lumberjacking, crafting, etc. Find what you like and go from there.

Read your mail each day, you'll get invited to events and receive requests for quests (and I've had some sitting in my quest list for 2+ (game) years and haven't expired. Kent was so happy today with a starfruit even though I got that quest pretty quickly - and I think his friendship level with me was at the lowest point possible - I never really talked to him or gave him gifts)).

Maugatta

Tiller
The only and most important tip, that I can tell to you is:
don't follow tips if you really want enjoy the game by yourself !
It's this the real fun that you can found in the game: the fact you can adopt the tactics that you most prefer, this beacouse there aren't there aren't several rules.

imnvs

Local Legend
Some of the more generic tips that really are useful to everyone:

Do a little bit of everything to get a feel for how everything works, and because you need to do a little bit of everything. This will help you learn what you like, what you consider a chore.

Develop your skills and your tools. This makes things easier in the long run.

No matter what, have fun. If some specific aspect of the game is stumping you and it's making you frustrated... ask. We've all been there. We're happy to help.

A Junimo

Planter
best tip is figure stuff out for yourself; you will enjoy the game far more if you do. :sebastian: :sneaky:
Amen!
But here are a few little tips anyways:
1) Fishing and foraging Spring Onions are a great way to make money in the beginning.
2) Save the social stuff for the third day: it's programmed to always rain then and it automatically waters your crops for you.
3)
Don't get too caught up in romance right away. It'll distract you and drain your resources if you chase after a future spouse too early. On that note, don't marry Alex. He's a jerk and will always be >:| (If you're looking for romance advice, there are plenty of posts here in the forums that'll help.)
4) Try not to use the wiki unless you really have to. The Official Stardew Valley Wiki is both helpful and annoying, because it's full of spoilers at every turn. It just takes the fun out of a life sim when you know what's going to happen, right?
5) Once you can, take advantage of the mine. That's not technically a spoiler, considering the Mine is unlocked soon after you start your game. As I was saying-the mine is full of crucial minerals and great money-makers at the same time. Plus, it's very satisfying to stab the monsters you'll find there ;)
Sorry if I confused you a little, but try to use my advice as best as you can. Actually, don't. :laugh: Stardew Valley is such a fun game to explore-it'd be ruining the experience if I were to tell you exactly what to do! I mean, you can use the advice you'll find here, but make sure you still leave some stuff to discover for yourself!! Find your passion and develop it as much as you'd like!

Oh, and one more thing-welcome to the best farming sim ever!!!

Last edited:

rippytrippy

Planter
Amen!
*snip snip snip*
4) Try not to use the wiki unless you really have to.
5) Once you can, take advantage of the mine.
Lmao I used the wiki and got a good amount of spoilers because well.. I'm impatient :/ plus I've never seen the fun in surprises. I would hate to have a surprise birthday party. But yeah, that is good advice :)

and... the mines... for the longest time i was terrified of the mines! xd they're still creepy and I just cannot- canNOT- with those skull monsters.... God help me :sweat:

but yes take Apple Boi's advice lOl

LRangerR

Local Legend
New tip that I think I'm going to start telling people is: You don't need to use the wiki to finish the fishing part of the community center. Just pay attention to your TV and the "Livin' Off the Land" show will tell you where to find some of the harder-to-locate fish.

edit: Also, all the episodes on the TV re-run in the same order starting year 3 (so year 1 episodes will run in year 3, year 2 episodes in year 4). So if you feel like you missed something in any of the shows just be patient and they'll circulate back around eventually. This is especially important with some of the cooking show's recipes, but a little less important since Ape changed the way the TV decides on how to play reruns for Queen of the Sauce.

Robert

Greenhorn
There are many ways to start the game. First of all: stop struggling and just enjoy it and try to find out what you want to do. Do you prefer to have some animals or lot of crops? Maybe the production of beer or wine is the best way to gain money for you. Discover the mining world. Or something like that. I was playing the game for more than 100 hours before starting to use StardewWiki or this forum. Have lot of fun - to play this game for the first time is something special 😉
I've just bought SV and I am finding my way around - it is hard not to feel pressured into thinking I should be doing xyz or making more gold etc. I am finding fishing a challenge though!

The game will direct, guide, and prompt you. You'll get mail, visitors, advice from tv. Explore, go to the beach, forest, shops, houses, mountain. Interact with the people and the environment. Try some farming, fishing, mining, see what you like. There's a lot to see and do, there's secrets and mysteries and humor. Just enjoy! :smile:

Jimbo737

Newcomer
I’m not even sure if I have the right stuff for this . I’m playing with an iPhone SE 2020 and bought a Backbone One to “make it easier “. Not much of a game player and never used a controller before. With those limitations - how do I press “Esc” for the crafting menu/instructions? I erased my first attempt when I couldn’t make the “finger control” work. Please help???

imnvs

Local Legend
I’m not even sure if I have the right stuff for this . I’m playing with an iPhone SE 2020 and bought a Backbone One to “make it easier “. Not much of a game player and never used a controller before. With those limitations - how do I press “Esc” for the crafting menu/instructions? I erased my first attempt when I couldn’t make the “finger control” work. Please help???
You should be posting this to its own thread in the Help & Bugs section, not piggybacking on a non-bug-related thread in the Guides & Resources section. You'll get more help that way.

Tom

Rancher
You know about the wiki, and you know there are walkthroughs and calendars. So a lot depends on how much you like surprises. Here's what I would not have and would have done my first time:

WOULD NOT HAVE
-Overplanted (Help! The watering! It's killing me!)
-Boycotted fishing (It gets easier fast. And the training rod is really great now.)
-Socialized early (Bdays only until I get a bit richer.)

WOULD HAVE
-Tried to keep two of every crop, fish, and forage starting last week of Spring.
-Frequented the Saloon on Friday nights

But interestingly, I am currently enjoying a "conscientious" playthrough that does a few personally important things:
-Throw away all weapons.
-No fishing.
-No chopping trees off farm.
-No coffee.
-No alcoholic gifts.

Be yourself and have fun.

One of the interesting things about Stardew Valley is that there is literally no way to lose the game. You don't have to plant or sell a thing. You can spend all your time chatting to the villagers every day and just get married. Oh, the official goal is to rebuild the Community Center, but you don't actually have to. You can take five, ten, twenty years to rebuild it through the slow growing and gathering of this and that.

Even accidentally spending all your money doesn't fail you forever because you can just forage and gather and fish money again.

Yep my #1 tip is to have fun. I’ll be posting in the best crop threads or whatever it is once I collate some info, but as a spoiler, here’s some other general principles I keep in mind:

- Nothing is more profitable than fishing early on. Not crops nor foraging nor mining (barring the use of codes or external tools). So if you don’t have enough money early on, fish more! No energy? You can eat fish too! As long as you don’t hate fishing there’s no such thing as too much fishing spring year 1, or really any time you’re so inclined.

- Machines make money. If you want more money, make more machines like preserves jars, kegs, etc, and keep them fed. Since they don’t require energy and barely require time (per machine at least) they are long term the best source of money in the game.

- Animals make money too. Long term they offer fantastic return on investment. It takes a little bit but they’re a great source of consistent income.

- Things that reduce the amount of energy you spend have value. Tool upgrades and sprinklers make it so you can do more in the day without spending money, and thus are equivalent to an increase in your gold per day. They also reduce time spent, so they double dip on value.

- Things that reduce time spent have value. Speed boosts like coffee or pepper poppers (seriously make these when you can, eat them every day, you won’t regret it), getting a horse or an auto grabber mean you can do more in the day.

- Energy has value too. If it restores more than half of its sell price (you can figure that out over time based on ship summaries at end of day, use a mod which shows sell price, or wiki it) then eat it, don’t sell it.

All of those are things based on My normal play style and priorities, and may not apply at all. Remember, have fun, do what you like. The best way to play SDV is not by following a guide, it’s by exploring and experimenting. Especially for a first play through. So if any of these tips get in the way of what you want to do or find enjoyable, disregard them entirely. Otherwise I hope they help!