Question Mod Commission Discussion

dots

Sodbuster
First of all, I read over the rules and I don't want to actually advertise commissions, just discuss the logistics of it, but if this isn't allowed, please remove this post!

Now onto the actual post!
I'm thinking of opening up mod commissions, but I am unsure of how to actually do this. I have a few questions:
How would pricing work? Would it be based on hourly work, like art?
I mainly do art for buildings, as well as some other sprites, and then turn that into CP mods, but I also do maps as well. Would pricing be different for this? How so?
Would opening commissions for recolours of my mods to match other people's recolours be alright?
Would Ko-fi or Patreon be more accessible? Or perhaps just put the info up on a site and then handle the actual transactions myself?
Is there even a demand for mod commissions????

If anyone has any examples, I'd love to see/hear about them. I'm mostly struggling with pricing.

LunaBracer

Cowpoke
I'd say there probably is a market for mod commissions, but this is the first time I've seen it. I'd do pricing based on complexity and hourly work, honestly. If it's a recoloring mod, it wouldn't be as expensive as, say, creating a custom NPC or completely overhauling a map. For payments, Ko-fi would be better than Patreon, since as far as I've heard, Patreon is a monthly subscription more than a paypal replacement. Just remember to get a portion of the payment up front so people don't try to swindle you, and good luck! <3

dots

Sodbuster
I'd say there probably is a market for mod commissions, but this is the first time I've seen it. I'd do pricing based on complexity and hourly work, honestly. If it's a recoloring mod, it wouldn't be as expensive as, say, creating a custom NPC or completely overhauling a map. For payments, Ko-fi would be better than Patreon, since as far as I've heard, Patreon is a monthly subscription more than a paypal replacement. Just remember to get a portion of the payment up front so people don't try to swindle you, and good luck! <3
Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it! Ahaha definitely isn't much of a market I think, since I haven't gotten any commissions since around when I posted this and put up my own...

Sinmenon

Planter
I personally have a Ko-fi set-up but it is more like "tip if you want to support", but it is as LunaBracer said: Ko-fi is more a replacement for Paypal (and also has integration), while Patreon is a monthly subscription, although it also has the possibility to set up freebies and idk if you can, for example, set up a "shop" of sorts.
And it really depends on your skill level. I'd say if you are starting or if the job isn't too complex, US$0.50 to US$2 per hour or from US$1 to US$5 would be reasonable. Something more complex, like a building, US$3 to US$5 a hour or US$5 to US$10, especially if there are some coding involved.
For reference: in the game design field, an entry-level professional rate tends to be around US$15 per hour.

dots

Sodbuster
I personally have a Ko-fi set-up but it is more like "tip if you want to support", but it is as LunaBracer said: Ko-fi is more a replacement for Paypal (and also has integration), while Patreon is a monthly subscription, although it also has the possibility to set up freebies and idk if you can, for example, set up a "shop" of sorts.
And it really depends on your skill level. I'd say if you are starting or if the job isn't too complex, US$0.50 to US$2 per hour or from US$1 to US$5 would be reasonable. Something more complex, like a building, US$3 to US$5 a hour or US$5 to US$10, especially if there are some coding involved.
For reference: in the game design field, an entry-level professional rate tends to be around US$15 per hour.
These numbers are SUPER helpful, thank you so much!! I don't want to post my comms sheet here, just in case it counts as advertising though. I don't really time track, so rough estimates of how much effort I put into a piece are the best I've got ahaha...

Sinmenon

Planter
These numbers are SUPER helpful, thank you so much!! I don't want to post my comms sheet here, just in case it counts as advertising though. I don't really time track, so rough estimates of how much effort I put into a piece are the best I've got ahaha...
Keep in mind that I have never seen anyone offering paid commissions for SDV and it has been a hot minute since I did commissions, but those are the usual rates for the market a while back.

You can then either do the fixed rate and judge by the complexity then, this might actually be more helpful as some people can work faster or slow. And also the level of detail, for example if someone wants a custom shed that fits all seasons or one that changes with the season. Or to edit Pelican Town. Or even commission you for the graphics for a new area. These are things that you can always keep in mind and negotiate with the one asking for the commission, but something simple like... idk, I'm going to give you an example: someone as you for a batch for custom toddlers for their farmer, depending on the complexity you can charge USD$0.50 for each gender (in my experience they are very quick and easy to do), but a horse with a custom idle animation could be USD$1.00 . Simple recolors could also be in a similar line of thought, but something more complex like a building made from scratch you could ask US$5. Those are just ideas/suggestions, ofc.