Mod bounty: Farmer to Florist

Hey all!

I don't know how feasible this is, but I really got back into Stardew Valley again, but one thing that always bothered me about the game ("bothered" here in heavy quotes because I really do think it's an amazing game) is how you can't really focus on growing flowers that much. Sure, you can do some things with them, but not nearly the variety you get with other crops (which honestly makes sense since the purview of the game is to make a farm).

But I found a mod called Farmer to Florist, https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/2075, which seems like an amazing addition to the game. It doesn't seem to work out of the box on Nexus Mods anymore, but I was able to get a lot of the functions to work by going to the github page: https://github.com/paradigmnomad/PPJA. Unfortunately, some of the functionality still seems a bit wonky. The Florists Table is decorative only (which seems to be by design, not that it broke) and the perfume station and press to make dried flowers doesn't seem to work at all for me (wonder if it's just me).

So I'm wondering if there are any brilliant modders out there who might be able to tweak this mod and restore its functionality and improve on it somewhat. It would be nice if you could use the florist's table to make bouquets and other flower arrangements to sell (and, y'know, fix the press if it's actually broken).

I've tried getting into modding to do this myself, but I'm not sure if it's feasible for me to learn how to do all of this in any sort of reasonable timeframe (it'd likely take me months, if not longer, to pick up this much since I know literally nothing about modding or coding), so I thought I'd post here and see if anyone was looking for a project or if anyone had any pointers on how I might go about working on this myself.

Last edited:

Lenora Rose

Farmer
Hey all!

I don't know how feasible this is, but I really got back into Stardew Valley again, but one thing that always bothered me about the game ("bothered" here in heavy quotes because I really do think it's an amazing game) is how you can't really focus on growing flowers that much. Sure, you can do some things with them, but not nearly the variety you get with other crops (which honestly makes sense since the purview of the game is to make a farm).

But I found a mod called Farmer to Florist, https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/2075, which seems like an amazing addition to the game. It doesn't seem to work out of the box on Nexus Mods anymore, but I was able to get a lot of the functions to work by going to the github page: https://github.com/paradigmnomad/PPJA. Unfortunately, some of the functionality still seems a bit wonky. The Florists Table is decorative only (which seems to be by design, not that it broke) and the perfume station and press to make dried flowers doesn't seem to work at all for me (wonder if it's just me).

So I'm wondering if there are any brilliant modders out there who might be able to tweak this mod and restore its functionality and improve on it somewhat. It would be nice if you could use the florist's table to make bouquets and other flower arrangements to sell (and, y'know, fix the press if it's actually broken).

I've tried getting into modding to do this myself, but I'm not sure if it's feasible for me to learn how to do all of this in any sort of reasonable timeframe (it'd likely take me months, if not longer, to pick up this much since I know literally nothing about modding or coding), so I thought I'd post here and see if anyone was looking for a project or if anyone had any pointers on how I might go about working on this myself.
There's a thread for unofficial updates in the mod support section.

This one has been discussed a bit.

The impression I get from discussion is that the mod support team for PPJA did a (crappy, fast, not debugged) conversion from JSON Assets to Dynamic Game Assets for all the mods they were maintaining, then stopped. Farmer to Florist got hit worst. Going back to the last JSON Assets version has been suggested by many, alongside or instead of getting the files from Github.

I really want this exact mod working for my next farmer. too, because of the production items. But I've also flagged alternatives. In case they help you:

Atelier's Wildflour's Floral pack: NB, requires the Wild Food forage mod from the same person, so you get a bunch of extra forage, too. This is like all the production machines all the others are missing, though, so probably worth it if production is what you want.

Quaint Living: new, just flowers. Has future plans for production mods but none yet.

Lumisteria's flowers and crops: longstanding mod. No machines, but giant crops, a good balance of gift tastes, and works in other mods' machines.

Forage of Ferngill: The focus isn't flowers, obviously, but it now has ways to turn forage flowers into seed crops, and has a flower press which works on all flowers including from other mods. So it's more useful for its machines.

Floral Megamix: Just a huge load of flowers. no machines as far as I can tell. I just wasn't interested but figured I'd note it.

Kaya's Blossom Mod: A Korean selection of flowers including giant crops, has a couple of recipes but no machines. Has some related machine add-ons but for making hybrid flowers, or producing your own saplings from trees, not for making products from your flowers.

Lenora Rose

Farmer
Looking a bit at the code for Farmer to Florist, I wonder:

*If* capitalization matters in mod IDs, then I know what's doing it.

(In the [PFM] Farmer to Florist manifest.json, change the Dependencies line
"UniqueID": "DIGUS.ProducerFrameworkMod"
to
"UniqueID": "Digus.ProducerFrameworkMod"
because the latter is how it's entered in the PFM's own UniqueID.)

If not, a quick look over the code inside the PFM folder doesn't have any obvious issues jumping out at me. I am, however, pretty much a noob as far as writing content packs goes, never mind as far as doing more complex modding, and I'd have to open it all up in detail to figure out what's wrong. (I have written two -- so far fully private and only tested in my own game -- mods; a hat which works except for a weird patch at the back view, and a flower which works exactly as hoped.)

Lenora Rose

Farmer
As a note, while a possible typo fix as minor as the one I list above is well within the bounds of acceptability, especially with code visible on Github, the problem with fully updating the PPJA mods (And adding something like useability to a decorative object that didn't used to have it like the Florist's table, which is beyond updating and into rewriting) is that IIRC, the permissions are too strict to allow anyone to write an unofficial update.

Unofficial updates happen when a mod is clearly abandoned AND the original maker left the permissions open enough for people to update them without having to hunt down the original modder and get something new in writing. People try to respect the original modder's wishes if they said "DON'T TOUCH". I don't think PPJA has been released even though it's been reportedly abandoned.

This is why my first instinct was to point out alternatives.

Adaml_217

Farmhand
While I certainly don't have the skills to help you, I do 100% agree that the wasted potential for how much fun floral farming could be within the game. Imagine how incredible it would be if a new skill tree was added for growing flowers, and while it would be similar to farming have differences, similar to differences present when growing foragable wild seeds. It'll never happen but it'd be so cool, I wish there was more to do with flowers as well!

Plumfrittters

Greenhorn
EDIT: the GitHub version doesn’t include the foragable daisy, that mod is an optional file for FtF on Nexus instead. Will leave this up hopefully for othe

Hey, so speaking on the Farmer to Florist mod (getting it on GitHub and stuff) I’m unable to get the daisy as a foragable, and I don’t know when it’s supposed to show up due to few posts about it. Does anyone know where it shows up in game?

(Apologies if I posted this in the wrong thread, I’m new here)

Last edited:

Plumfrittters

Greenhorn
EDIT: YEAH I got it to work again, I had to download the version from mod drop instead, works surprisingly well, also encountered another problem of requiring another mod that was already inside ftf, worked itself out though!!

Oh my godd ok it’s worked for a while BUT I’ve switched to a different computer where it now says it’s missing it’s manifest.JSON file, I cannot figure out how I originally did it on the old computer (I deleted the files) so now I can’t work it out.

is there a way to fix the manifest.json issue?I tried to copy paste another json file to the mod, still doesn’t work though.

Last edited: