Marlon why

Elenna101

Farmer
You know, people talk about Pierre being cheap and inflating your crops to ridiculous prices and I agree, Pierre sucks. But also, Marlon's the one selling galaxy hammers for 75,000g and buying them back for 600. And that's one of the best sell prices of any weapon. What's up with that?

Lenora Rose

Farmer
You know, people talk about Pierre being cheap and inflating your crops to ridiculous prices and I agree, Pierre sucks. But also, Marlon's the one selling galaxy hammers for 75,000g and buying them back for 600. And that's one of the best sell prices of any weapon. What's up with that?
Yeah, I understand from a game balance perspective why getting better weapons from cave diving doesn't net you a fortune selling them to Marlon, but from the farmer's perspective it is a bit of a swindle. And I think the price points for selling them could double and still fit game balance.

I also headcanon that he refurbishes the best weapons I hand him from "picked this up in a cave the other day" and gives them to my spouse for her cave diving expeditions, so he's not buying them, it's just a "repair and polish" cost.

imnvs

Local Legend
The difference in buy vs sell cost isn't just seen in weapons. Even in year 1, selling copper ore gets you 5g but it costs 75g to buy it from Clint. Smelting it takes 5 of them and a coal (sell price 15g, buy in year 1 for 150g) to get you a copper bar you can sell for 90g if you're a blacksmith. None of these economics make even a bit of sense.

MissDandy

Farmer
All these town vendors are just out here making bank, and we don't seem to ask too many question. A good point you bring up. 75,000G would take up a significant chunk of most average citizen's annual salary, I would guess. So really, you may just be working all those hours, taking all those extra shifts and doing all that overtime only to decide to buy a neat hammer, not like it, return it, take a 74,400G hit and not even end up with something to show for it. Meanwhile, Marlon and another old guy are rolling around in gold coins, your gold coins, on the top of some mountain.

It's a good thing Lewis doesn't have a storefront, imagine how many statues he could be rolling out if he used Marlon's business tactics.

Hill Myna

Farmer
Marlon is losing out on a niche market.

I have three options for what I do with spare weapons: keep 'em, sell 'em to Marlon, or trash 'em.

Once I already have one, I don't need a second. So that leaves me with only two options.

With my Iridium Trash Can, 60% of the Lead Rod's value is 120G, but the Marlon's sell price is only 200G. 80G is nothing in endgame!

But the way Stardew works, if Marlon's sell price rose to, say, 900G, then the 40% difference is 360G. That's not nothing; I'd totally go out of my way to claim 360G!

And this is with a Lead Rod. If it was a more valuable weapon like a Bone Sword, Slammer, or Steel Falchion, then the difference would be huge!

And I don't see how this would break the game. All it'd do is give me a reason to visit the most out-of-the-way location in Stardew Valley, which I'm all for!

Elenna101

Farmer
The difference in buy vs sell cost isn't just seen in weapons. Even in year 1, selling copper ore gets you 5g but it costs 75g to buy it from Clint. Smelting it takes 5 of them and a coal (sell price 15g, buy in year 1 for 150g) to get you a copper bar you can sell for 90g if you're a blacksmith. None of these economics make even a bit of sense.
True, Stardew's economy is... strange... in general. Marlon definitely has the worst buy price to sell price ratios, though.

Lanielady

Greenhorn
These vendors serve the economy as “money sinks” to drain cash from an economy where money is constantly being created out of thin air. While I don’t think it’s such a big deal in a single-player game like Stardew Valle, even when played in co-op mode, it’s a vital element for the health of the game in environments such as MMORPG’s. It prevents farming, spawn camping, and runaway inflation among player characters.
in many ways we see this happening in our own US economy. When Trump and Biden printed piles of money to fund Covid relief payments, that new money pouring into our economy is now causing widespread inflation.