Making your farm more productive

PookieDoodle

Rancher
I noticed today how much I walk around my farm doing my daily chores. So I spent a good amount of time moving processing machines. I guess when you add buildings and items to you farm you don't really think about where they are as opposed to what you're going to be putting in them. Or at least, I didn't. So now whatever machine I need is right next to the product that will be going into it. I've noticed a huge gain in my daily earnings and I feel more productive. Also, I planted trees everywhere so I don't have to scrounge for wood in the Winter.

I did the same, I tend to go to the carpenters fairly often to rearrange my buildings as their purposes change for me. After I got a huge patch of starfruit growing I do a lot less of many other things, for practicality sake. Now I dont even need the startfruit as much. As I advance, I tend to purchase a lot of things that it would take significant time to do by hand too, so end up storing and rearranging for whatever I'm currently doing the most of, so it is closest to me. The only issue I have is not being able to move my greenhouse (am playing on mobile).

I also hop on my horse for everything now, I put his stall right next to my house, that way I can ride her over to any structure or activity on my farm to save time. I have become a pro at positioning her so I dismount at the perfect location and I don't accidentally re-mount 🤪 when I mean to collect something.

At current I'm doing a whole bunch of rainbow trout farms for the very, very small chance it gives at prismatic shards and because those are easy/low maintenance lol. I am going to need them anyhow for later putting two of each fish in to collect each item from, so gets me to where I want to go later on for any other things left uncollected.

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper
I think I spend a good 10% of my time in-game just figuring out where everything should go to maximize location efficiency. I only gave in when someone mentioned here that you could move the Greenhouse in v1.5 after some requirement was met. I don't even remember what that requirement was, probably Tailoring Lewis' shorts into a sequined ballgown or something similar.

My biggest problem is the Sunk Cost Time Fallacy where I already have stuff. It's right there. If I move it, it'll still be over there. I want to get rid of my Fish Ponds because they're right here in my face. But my Fish are happy and give me gifts. I have 11 boyfriends and girlfriends and they rarely give me any stinkin' gifts. Probably because I dated everyone, broke up their social circle and married one of them.

Sore losers.

Hell, Pam is my best gift giver. After my lovely Fish, of course. And everything doesn't quite fit on my Beach Farm where I'd like it to, all because my Horse's butt is too big. Yeah I said it, Mr. Big Butt needs 2 tiles to head North and South, thus ruining any possibility of a usable compact layout. And don't think I'm overlooking the itchy keyboard fingers of you all out there with your copypasta Stardew Planner URL. If I use that, I'm doing everything twice. Like. a. sucker.

Nah, I'm really, really, reaaallllyy tempted to Bomb the snot outta everything on the Farm, move the buildings & ponds to the edges and start over. But do you know how much work that'll be? Especially as I think I need to pickaxe all the Bombed soil to move buildings back. Bleah, it ain't actually broken yet.

But then @imnvs posted in another topic that he's clearing about 900K a week and, and, and.... I really want to do that.

I need to learn how to draw so I can post a pic of Farmer Bobbi sprawled out on the Farmhouse floor like a partially melted Butter Sculpture left out in the Midwest summer sun. At her wits end, despondent for the future, yet extreeeemly relaxed.

MissDandy

Farmer
I'm struggling with the efficiency of my farm too. My machines are in one shed and my barns and coops are on the opposite end of the farm from it. I'm lazy so I don't get top dollar for all the animal products I could be turning into artisan goods. Once I get the gold clock and money isn't my concern anymore, I'll attempt to mover everything around and make things more efficient.
The best thing I have going is my keg sheds. I can place them anywhere I need because I grow the pineapples and ancient fruit on the island. I also tend to 122 bee hives there, producing fairy rose honey.
Most of my town farm is open farming area, which isn't productive at all and only brings in around 10K a day on average. I'll hopefully be getting rid of that soon.
Between all of these things, I can make up to 300K a week, but I know it could be more. When I re-arrange, I'll try putting machines near their corresponding products, hopefully that will help like you said!

PookieDoodle

Rancher
I moved all my preserve jars right next to my ponds. So I can just pop the roe in right there instead of lugging it back to the basement. Then coming back to get more roe. That, in itself saves me a bunch of time. I've got lots of ponds now, not really for the money but because the fish make me smile. They jump up when I walk past and say wonderful things like "Wow! Thanks for the fresh diamond!" ...not just a diamond, but a fresh diamond. lol I also lined up all my mayonnaise and cheese makers right along the fence where my barns are. I put all my kegs in a shed which freed up space in the basement to age the starfruit wine. I took the time to make a stone walkway for the preserve jars but just ended up placing the mayo and cheese makers in the dirt along the fence. So I'm kind of worried about Spring coming up because the weeds like to replace things on my farm.

Swartzki

Tiller
That's like what I did. I have a building for wine, one for metals, mayo, fabric, etc and it has made my life so much easier to be perfectly honest. I still consider myself a newbie so this really helped me a lot!

PookieDoodle

Rancher
That's like what I did. I have a building for wine, one for metals, mayo, fabric, etc and it has made my life so much easier to be perfectly honest. I still consider myself a newbie so this really helped me a lot!
And today I put shipping containers everywhere. Robin only charges 100 pieces of wood. And it's a huge time/stress saver to be able to unload stuff anywhere I am.