PC [HELP] MAC : Can't see Steam overlay while playing game

Suhyun

Newcomer
Before I start this write, I'm korean so this text is hard to understand. I apologize about that.

After I updated 1.5.5 version i can't open my steam overlay. I tried every process but they didn't work. Help me plz
My laptop is MacBook Pro M1

Sabellyn

Newcomer
I've been having the same issue. I have a MacBook Air M1, and after I updated to the 1.5.5 version, the Steam Overlay doesn't show up. Also, when I try to plug in a PS4 controller, it doesn't work in Stardew Valley, but it does work in Steam and in other Steam games.

I've checked to make sure that none of my firewalls are blocking Stardew Valley or Steam, and I've checked that the Steam Overlay is enabled and that Steam input is enabled. I've also tried going into Stardew's settings to force the gamepad input on, but it still doesn't receive input from the controller.

SpookSeville

Cowpoke
This is mostly a guess, but for the Steam overlay I believe you need to enable it under Accessibility in the OS settings.

1. Open System Preferences (click Apple logo in the top-left and you should see it in the menu)
2. Click on Security & Privacy
3. Click on the Privacy tab
4. Click on Accessibility
5. Ensure Steam has a check mark beside it.

You may need to click on the lock in the bottom-left in order to click on the check box by Steam. It will ask for your password. You can always relock it when you're finished.

WolverineJon

Greenhorn
I'm having the same issue. My Steam overlay will not come up in Stardew Valley on Mac when pressing Shift+Tab. Screenshots are also not taken when pressing F12. In both cases, upon pressing the key (or key combination), nothing happens.

I've confirmed that the Steam Overlay, and taking screenshots with F12, do work on other Steam games on this same computer.

- I'm running macOS Monterey 12.4.
- Computer is a "MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)".
- Current Stardew Valley version is 1.5.6. Build ID (per Steam) is 8043676.
- Steam has been granted "Allow the app to control your computer" permissions in the System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Accessibility window.

Meadowlark

Farmhand
I've been having the same issue on my Mac as well. I believe it must be something with the framework change because on the 32-bit compatibility mode branch it still works, but on the up-to-date version it does not. I'm hoping this could be addressed in 1.6 (especially because SMAPI doesn't work on the compatibility version).