Lingcod.

ISSsloth

Farmer
In my personal opinion, they are the worst thing in the game. (It didn't have much competition for being the worst though.)
  • It just looks weird
  • It's a pain to catch
  • It gives BUG MEAT from the fish pond. (I don't want to know why)
  • It's actually kind of cute if you put it in a fish tank but that's about it.

Does anyone else have a least favorite fish?

icKyou1025

Sodbuster
Sardines and anchovies because I keep getting mixed up on which one I need for quests

Sand scorp because it's in the desert.

Octopus. Because once I did get the hang of the fishing game it was the first fish I failed to get when I went hunting for it

Ralij

Cowpoke
The ones that get away.

Mostly its just anything thats a pain to catch. Early on that's catfish especially, super cucumbers in summer and it gets easier from there. Lingcod are always a pain though.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Carp, and it's all because of Carp Surprise. That $&!* looks disgusting.
Not even the villagers like carp.

As for my least favorite, it'd have to be the JojaCola fish. Everytime i catch that thing it goes straight into the trash. I don't even catch and release it.

Akemisora

Planter
Even though fishing isn't hard for me, I hate them all. Fishing profit will eventually be inferior to farming. The profit doesn't payoff the effort.

imnvs

Local Legend
Even though fishing isn't hard for me, I hate them all. Fishing profit will eventually be inferior to farming. The profit doesn't payoff the effort.
The only reason I fish is to get ingredients, finish bundles/achievements, and do quests. I have never done it for the money. Yes, I know that very early on it can be a good income source... but as you said, fishing profit quickly pales in comparison to everything else. A buddy of mine plays the game with 2 other people and is their dedicated fisher (he's caught all the legendary and they still freak out when they see one, have never caught one), and he tells me that early on he was making all the money the group needed... but after a year, he felt basically unnecessary. And it wasn't a slow progression. After 1 month the two of them had their infrastructure set up. They went the Joja route, so they had all the community upgrades done before year 2. In year 2, what with starfruit available to them now and a greenhouse? He has said to me, "What do they need my fishing income for now? What do I do in the game any more? I thought I was going to be the person keeping everyone funded, and now I'm just the guy going fishing every day while everyone else does all the work!" I just nodded sagely and said, "Yup. Sounds about right." Then I told him, "Stop. Fishing."

icKyou1025

Sodbuster
The only reason I fish is to get ingredients, finish bundles/achievements, and do quests. I have never done it for the money. Yes, I know that very early on it can be a good income source... but as you said, fishing profit quickly pales in comparison to everything else. A buddy of mine plays the game with 2 other people and is their dedicated fisher (he's caught all the legendary and they still freak out when they see one, have never caught one), and he tells me that early on he was making all the money the group needed... but after a year, he felt basically unnecessary. And it wasn't a slow progression. After 1 month the two of them had their infrastructure set up. They went the Joja route, so they had all the community upgrades done before year 2. In year 2, what with starfruit available to them now and a greenhouse? He has said to me, "What do they need my fishing income for now? What do I do in the game any more? I thought I was going to be the person keeping everyone funded, and now I'm just the guy going fishing every day while everyone else does all the work!" I just nodded sagely and said, "Yup. Sounds about right." Then I told him, "Stop. Fishing."
Yes but that initial investment is what allowed them to surpass him so quickly. That's what fishing for money is all about. Early game investment. After that you fish for Ponds and Cooking. Or to complete the collection, or because you find it fun. It takes no resources other than energy and time, and once you automate everything on your farm anyway that's what you have an abundance of anyway. He did just what he thought he would, he funded everyone. That's how investing works. When you invest in something and it succeeds, then the money you bring in pales in comparison to the money the investment generates. The reward is you get to passively collect money because it wouldn't have been possible (or at the very least, as easy) without you. Basically he has free reign to do whatever he wants now they basically owe him for his hard work and investment.

Chaya7

Planter
I like lingcod, having seen them in their natural habitat, while diving. An unusual and exciting sighting. But it always disturbs me when I catch them in Stardew Valley, since they don't live in rivers and lakes. They live in the ocean. Off of coasts. Fresh water would kill them.

I feel the same about tilapia. Tilapia live in lakes and rivers. Not the ocean. They can tolerate brackish water, but the salt and the cold water of the ocean would kill them.

It's weird.

imnvs

Local Legend
Well... he hasn't been playing. He's been pretty busy. (A promotion came with a lot more hours, basically, and he got a girlfriend.)
Basically he has free reign to do whatever he wants now they basically owe him for his hard work and investment.
That is basically what I told him, that he could go do... anything. Now that he's caught all the fish, there's no reason for him to go fishing. (Until 1.5 comes to PS and he can get the last few new fish.)

Early game? Money.

Late game? Do. Something. Else. Anything. Else. For the sake of whatever deity you hold sacred, man, explore more of the game than fishing!!!

liquidcat

Staff member
Pufferfish are a huge pain to catch, I have only managed to catch them a handful of times. So they can take the title for my least fav fish.