Which do you enjoy more?

• Early game

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • Late game

Votes: 8 36.4%

• Total voters

Jayamos

Farmer
Which phase of the game do you enjoy more, and why?
And what’s the milestone that makes it late game?
I’m noticing the game feels very different now that ET Betsy is making 100,000s of g on a weekey basis, but there are plenty of milestones she hasn’t hit yet.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Totally early game. I'm outta E by 2pm, used up all the Spring Onions, haven't even made it to town yet, outta breath, collapsed under a tree. I am simply prevented from doing anything more this week by the Laws of Nature, the very Physics of Existence.

And it's only gonna get worse.

Tomorrow I'm gonna get a note in the mail from Willy. The Late Game milestone.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Yeah I might qualify for the late game/post game type of person…

I do very much enjoy all parts of the game though I make my own struggle and reward in the late game which makes it just as enjoyable and rewarding to play for me.

I especially love skull cavern with no real limits to what I can get, I want a few thousand explosive ammo? Most annoying thing is running over to the guild. Want another 5 stacks of staircases for todays run? Pop some jade in the thousands of crystalariums I never harvest and I’ll be back to what I need.

My only annoyance is the inability to buy more magic rock candy, I have about 130 of them but I hate using them and often splurge with them and reset the day to emulate a “~perfect” skull cavern day.

Quirinea

Farmer
Somehow when you have reached all the obvious milestones: buildings, bundles, secrets in GI, it seems there is not much more. And getting to the last things is just grinding for money.
I'm playing with different mod combinations and even then -- I've seen most, is there something worth grinding?
And for most late game achievements the prizes do not seem so fine... (actually that is a problem for most games: you have won the big bad. What now?)

qaija

Sodbuster
I'm definitely an early gamer. For me, once I have purchased the Return Scepter there just is not enough to do to maintain my interest, and some games I don't even wait to get the RS before quitting and beginning a new game. Building a zillion crystalariums, kegs, and all the other things you do to earn gold just does not have the appeal for me that the challenges of starting a new game has.

The luck factor plays an important role in my desire to play a new game also. In my current game I had poor luck - no Ancient fruit seeds, no Mystic or Iridium stones at the Quarry, but it rained a lot the first couple of weeks which was a great help in getting my farm established. I reached level 10 Farming with my first crop of melons and Fishing was at 7. I farmed 500 parnsips per crop my second year, putting all crops in seed makers, and had my greenhouse full of Ancient fruit by summer and the first Iridium node I cracked open In Skull caverns (before reaching even level 20), gave me a Prismatic shard. The second day of autumn (where I am at in the game now) I completed the Community Center and am looking forward to getting my Ginger Island Ancient fruit crop planted.

In some ways I envy players like FG who have the patience to grind out gold, but that is just not what I enjoy.

Early game for sure. I love experimenting with different ways of starting off a farm, and so many of mine don't even make it through the first year. I've only done perfection once, which is also the only time I married anyone (apart from marriage speedruns, which don't really count, as all speedruns are basically early game given how little IRL time they take)

I used to do the whole thing of regularly crafting thousands of kegs, and earning 98701983240987265874321648g, but it just got a bit of a chore doing the same thing every day for season after season, whereas new starts are always different and keep it fun for me.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
The return scepter is an interesting cutoff. I love mine and use it constantly, even just to get around my farm more quickly. All of my loot runs to dangerous places make heavy use of it as an exit strategy.

Normally I am a huge fan of starting new games to try out different strategies. This game is a little different in that I don't have quite the urge because there is so much to the game. And if I want to try a different strategy, at worst I make a trip to the sewers to pick a different profession. I've really never played a game like this one with this much flexibility and sheer volume of content.

Just like IRL: Let me start it all over again! (and make it better ... or just in a different way) :baby:
And unlike IRL, this is possible in the game! As often as you want! I think that's what I love most about SDV. A cat has 7 lives. My char has an infinite number!
Yeah, and I love the freshness of the beginning. :heart:

BTW, that's what's been bothering me about this game for a long time: the further you get, the less you need what you can gain.

Lenora Rose

Farmer
Early game: usually I'd say the community centre completion is the cutoff but I feel like I'm getting into mid game even though I'm one rabbit's foot away.

Midgame: you rarely worry about energy, you've got the farm generally laid out to match your desires even if you haven't filled out the last details (and modulo changes of plans on the way), and your profit consistently outpaces your daily needs. You're topped out with the people you want to be friends with and at least halfway with everyone you were giving low key effort towards. Time to start saving up towards the obelisks and golden clock.

Late game: I'd say after you've seen all the events (that you want to) and the obelisks are built, when your goals, if any, are based on fixing the last few corners of the farm, and perfection.

Which do I like best ... all of them have strengths. Since I haven't really played beyond perfection, and have started a new new game while running a farmer twice now, I think I prefer early to mid, but I also had extensive plans for future farmers which were what really drew me on. Chances are good that if I had the game on two devices I'd be playing different farms in parallel. (I don't do that now because I play modded and I switch out mods, which makes playing more than one harder.)

GDawney

Sodbuster
I have 3 different saves on my PC, mostly early game,, year 1 or 2. I have 2 SVE saves, one modded (my current favorite) and one nomod. I have 4 different saves on my tablet (Hooray for the Mobile Upgrade !!!!) My oldest farm is on year 11 and has about 400 hours of play time. Different Farm layouts, Different characteristics, different Spouses (my favorite is Sam). The versatility of this game is astonishing. I love it all and I play different saves every day. I'm sorry for the players who say they are bored.

Quirinea

Farmer
Also I wish to try new things. Found out that adding too many mods that add things to play (areas, craftables) at once means the game gets overwhelming. I tried to had East Scarp, RSV and Walk to the Desert and Zuzu in the same save. A mistake. I've in third year or the like (hope my saves aren't broken, I had to get a new -puter and needed to tinker -- I started a new vanilla game (and then added just those mods that make playing easier: Timespeed, TEH Fishing, NPC locations, etc... after I got frustrated) but have yet to see if my old saves are OK.
One thing: (almost) always a new farm map. Once I got through the ones in the base game, I chose every time a new modded map. Some of my old saves turned into mess after the maps turned obsolete after a game update. Barn in a pond is a bit problematic...

Lenora Rose

Farmer
Also I wish to try new things. Found out that adding too many mods that add things to play (areas, craftables) at once means the game gets overwhelming. I tried to had East Scarp, RSV and Walk to the Desert and Zuzu in the same save. A mistake. I've in third year or the like (hope my saves aren't broken, I had to get a new -puter and needed to tinker -- I started a new vanilla game (and then added just those mods that make playing easier: Timespeed, TEH Fishing, NPC locations, etc... after I got frustrated) but have yet to see if my old saves are OK.
One thing: (almost) always a new farm map. Once I got through the ones in the base game, I chose every time a new modded map. Some of my old saves turned into mess after the maps turned obsolete after a game update. Barn in a pond is a bit problematic...
The "too many locations in one run" is one of the reasons why I switch out my mods instead of adding more (also why many of my faves expand on existing characters). That and it means I can do a deeper themed dive. But I can't imagine trying SVE (about 27 new characters, several new locations) and Ridgeside (!!almost 50 more people!!!) in the same run, unless you're a veteran with both.

MissDandy

Farmer
Yup, late game for sure. I love watching the millions roll in, and love being to decorate my house however I want regardless of cost, make my greenhouse aesthetic instead of functional, and waste my time riding around on my horse and shooting people with stones from the slingshot. And why not? I would have so much money even if I got sued it wouldn't matter haha.

I also like it because it probably the only time in life I'll ever be rich and not have to suffer the consequence of my actions

Jayamos

Farmer
And after a strong start by early gamers, late game is catching up. Maybe this Means Something. As always I’m enjoying the different strategies and personalities people bring to the game.
FWIW, ET Betsy now has return scepter but 0 obelisks, so I’m calling her Late Midgame or Early Late Game, depending on your perspective. So far I’m enjoying this phase of the game, but do I enjoy it more than early game? Guess I won’t know until I start a new save!

sally sue

Newcomer
Early. I start hating the game I'm in pretty quickly after I get married. I've married pretty much every eligible bachelor, and they all suck for one reason or another. Then we have a kid, and I'm too busy working to even enjoy my child. Does he stay home and take care of the house? NO! I married a woman in the game I'm in now and I'll see how that goes.

I know what you're going to say - Why do I keep getting married? It gets lonely out there and I want children!

Rhiannon

Farmer
After my initial start of my first save, I realized I wanted/needed to start over. I did so and played that save through 11 game years. I learned I was at 87% completion. Just that knowledge made me want to continue. I'd say I had been playing that save off and on since 2017 or so. Then I created a YT channel. Looking at all the games I like to play, SDV was definitely one I wanted to share with my subscribers. So I started over. Oh my! Due to my age and some short term memory loss, I had forgotten SO MUCH. It's been so much fun reliving the excitement and challenge of getting a self-sustaining farm up and running. I am eager to get to mid-game and even late game.

So my response to the poll would be "all of the above".

Stutum

Greenhorn
Early game. There's something special about finally starting to make some money and decent crops, and still have plenty of events ahead of you.