Late Game Greenhouse

MissDandy

Farmer
So once you've finished all the main game objectives and built your empire from the ground up selling parsnips and corn, do you use the greenhouse for monetary purposes or leisurely purpose? I thought that it might not be the biggest deal if it's not packed with ancient fruit, so I filled mine with at least one of every regrowth crop, since I don't really need money anymore like I use to (living the high life now). I liked the idea of having the crops available within a few days if need be. What do you guys use it for now? Just curious.

MissDandy

Farmer
Well, I mean, I have to keep making money if I'm going to fill my big shed with statues of endless fortune.
Well then yes, of course you must.
I fill it with ancient fruit and 1 fruit tree of each type, and I keep the regrowth crops in pots. In currently file, I have them in the basement, 2 for each type, but in other I have a shed just for them, 8 or 16 for each type.
See I had never considered putting a large volume of crops in the pots, other than the tea. You have to water them everyday then?

Lew Zealand

Helper
I pretty much do what you do but I start when the Greenhouse is first unlocked. One each of the regrowth crops, usually totaling 1 row, the rest Ancient Fruit except sometimes I'll put in a patch of 9 Starfruit. Usually only 2 Fruit Trees nowadays until I accumulate Saplings from monster/cave drops, I have 2 more from that source now. I never Fruit Tree Saplings were drops until I started finding them and had no good pace to put them with all the available spots in the Greenhouse full already. Now I just save that mid-game money and plant the trees as I find them.

I keep 1 row of 5 Cactus and Coffee Plants in the Farmhouse in pots (water them on the way out each morning) and once in a while I'll make Coffee when I remember, and the Kegs are available.

OK, or I'm out of Triple Shot Espresso.

Hill Myna

Farmer
So once you've finished all the main game objectives...
...then I typically start a new save. :D

But on my one post-perfection farm, I don't even visit my Greenhouse anymore. I already have everything and 14M G in my pockets. With 14M, I can buy practically as many Auto-Grabbers I want for decoration, a second Furniture Catalogue for practicality, and as much food as I need to visit the Volcano Dungeon for Dragon's Teeth, for Banana Saplings.

But I have a couple of rules about my next farm, one of which is no seeding Ancient Fruit. So I will have more than just Ancient Fruit in my next Greenhouse.

However, I don't think I'll go all out and put one of each reharvesting eating crop in my Greenhouse, simply because clear inventory = clear mind. Plus, like @Ilune said, I have pots for that.

But the one thing that will always, ALWAYS have a spot in my Greenhouse?

Coffee.

Ilune

Planter
Well then yes, of course you must.

See I had never considered putting a large volume of crops in the pots, other than the tea. You have to water them everyday then?
Yes, but from a certain point you can produce a retain soil then help a lot.
Pots are available after greenhouse, I usually complete it in the first half of autumn, and
I arrive on ginger island and buy the recipe for deluxe retained soil in the first week of summer.
When I have the greenhouse I usually have the quality sprinkles and some iridium sprinkles, plus the steel or gold watering, so it's not a great deal water around 20 pots every morning.

Kurachi84

Planter
I mostly put regrowing crops in there, but since i use mods, of which 1 is to have a bigger greenhouse, i have all of them in spots, plus some that i'll use for cooking, and all the seasonal forage seeds, and all trees(including for Tea), and when i can play again, i'll use a mod that lets bee houses work inside, too, so some honey can be obtained from there, too.

Then a few of each crop in each season, for wanted quests, and a spot for the Sweet Gem Berries.
If we ever get good healing(maybe buffing, too) recipes for Ancient Fruit and Sweet Gem Berry, i'd be able to use them for those, too, instead of just selling.

But yeah, otherwise just use 'em for regrowing crops, trees, seasonal forage seeds, crops for future quests and what i'll mostly use for recipes with nice buffs and healing.
With the Fish Ponds i can also breed Sea Cucumbers, then use the regrowing corn for Tortilla that i'll use for Lucky Lunch, with a few spots for Blue Jazz.

Oh, and when done with most stuff, like storyline quests, achievements and such, i can use a few crops for some tailoring.
I always have lots of different characters with different farm themes, so enough to do with crops and such.
Maybe some Potato-only farmer XD Decent money, and only use dishes made with them. And they don't take too long to grow.
I'll get more ideas after playing the game a lot again, but you get my idea.

I have some ancient fruit, and a variety of other crops. I like to grow people's loved gifts so I keep strawberries, peppers, grapes, a couple cactus, space for flowers and pumpkins. Corn to make Harvey's pickles. Orange, peach, pomegranate trees. I use iridium crystal fruit for my skull cavern food so I usually have some winter wild seeds going. And I just enjoy the colorful irregulars so I've got berries, beans, tomatoes and eggplant. Sometimes wheat too if I'm low on hay.
Once I did all pomegranates with ancient fruit between, and it made lots of money, but wasn't as fun or satisfying.

Boo1972

Farmer
On my first few play throughs, I kept a row of each berry, a row of cactus fruit, a row of coffee and some ancient fruit plants, plus fruit trees. My most recent farms have had starfruit or ancient fruit in the greenhouse. My current farmer, Willow, is planning a tropical fruit empire so pomegranates, oranges, mangoes, bananas, pineapple and starfruit. Eventually. Currently the greenhouse is all ancient fruit as backup if I run out of starfruit for wine.

But farmer Spencer married Haley, so I’m planning on a cute greenhouse for them. It will have the butterfly hutch of course, plenty of sunflowers, grape trellises as fencing, paths and benches for relaxing. I think it will be a fun project.

MissDandy

Farmer
I never Fruit Tree Saplings were drops until I started finding them and had no good pace to put them with all the available spots in the Greenhouse full already
See I never really knew that either, other than the mango and banana trees from the volcano dungeon. And it's is hard to decided how to use the space if in early game you've already filled it up and have trees producing high-quality product.
But I have a couple of rules about my next farm, one of which is no seeding Ancient Fruit. So I will have more than just Ancient Fruit in my next Greenhouse.
Yeah, it gets a little mundane after you do it all but I'm still holding onto that one farm that has made me millions haha. But no seeding Ancient fruit sounds hard, almost like a challenge. You'll have to let us know how it goes, it almost seems weird to have a greenhouse without it.
When I have the greenhouse I usually have the quality sprinkles and some iridium sprinkles, plus the steel or gold watering, so it's not a great deal water around 20 pots every morning.
It would at least give you something to do, but in early play through it would be a bit more frustrating (but isn't everything). In late game though it would be fine.
Oh, and when done with most stuff, like storyline quests, achievements and such, i can use a few crops for some tailoring.
This is why I don't use it to make me money, because it's handy to use for other things. It's also more fun that way in my opinion.
I like to grow people's loved gifts
It's really nice because if you take on Mr. Qi's 50 loved gifts in one week quest, it's really convenient. Strawberries especially, and beans and such too.
a row of each berry, a row of cactus fruit, a row of coffee and some ancient fruit plants, plus fruit trees.
I tried to keep an organized row of crops but I have the odd one here and there, maybe it's time I did a little re-organizing😭

imnvs

Local Legend
In my current late-game greenhouse I have 100 ancient fruit & 20 coffee in the tillable tiles. I have 8 banana trees, 2 mango, 2 apple, 2 apricot and 1 of every other ringing the wall, and in between all those trees I have 31 garden pots with pineapples growing. (No sprinklers, but anything requiring watering has DRS keeping it watered.) I really only need to go in there on even numbered days (for the coffee) and on Fridays (pineapples and ancient fruit).

(I'm also in process of converting my ancient fruit field on Ginger Island (429 plants) to DRS which will give me 9 more plants when all is said and done.)

In my first play I did a short row (5) of every crop that keeps producing. It made me feel like I needed to check it daily in case something came up. Now, just under half the time I can ignore it in order to do other things. It's lower stress for me to use it this way. If I need something, I still have some tillable space on Ginger Island and can make more garden pots.

As for Qi's Kindness? I have a statue of true perfection, routinely adventure in the skull cavern and have 12 rabbits. I have plenty of shards and rabbits' feet to give as gifts.

MissDandy

Farmer
I know a lot of people have a very specific greenhouse layout for that reason, so that they can go in on set days and not miss anything, as well as save on time. I really like the idea, but at the same time I have it almost reversed where I have the Ginger Island crops memorized for the days so I can stay home certain days if needed. I don't have DRS on anything though... on the island I have sprinklers covering anything.

The statue is actually a huge help like you said, but I like the diversity of a greenhouse not specified for anything, so I might as well hit two birds with one stone and keep the greenhouse for a large variety and use it for the gifts. It's not very efficient though, so I might put some plant pots and DRS in there. Is it worth is to do starfruit or ancient fruit for those?

Boo1972

Farmer
This, and for me, if you're doing this indoor you want to use DRS and a plant that regrows, so pineapple is the way to go.
I agree about pineapple. You can treat pineapple like ancient fruit and harvest it the same day you fill your kegs with it. It makes it easy to plan your week.

hexnessie

Farmer
I'm afraid I haven't gotten to the "late game" stage yet, on any save -- I invariably lose interest as soon as my farmer becomes prosperous and money problems end. At this point I leave them to live long and prosper at their own leisure, and make a new save that has to count every penny.

I think I'm not cut out to live the millionaire lifestyle!

Elenna101

Farmer
This, and for me, if you're doing this indoor you want to use DRS and a plant that regrows, so pineapple is the way to go.
CA fixed the issue where fertilizer goes away when a non-regrowing plant is harvested, right? So starfruit +DRS in garden pots should work now, although it's still a little less convenient due to needing to buy seeds and having a different harvest cycle than ancient fruit.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Didn't know this - drops from where - Skull cavern monsters??
Yes, I did another ridiculously unsuccessful Skull Cavern run yesterday (actually 1 of 3 underwhelming SK dives), only making it to about Level 48 but I ended up with a Fruit Tree Sapling, however I don't remember which one it is.