"Keep one of everything." Should I?

troubledsnake

Farmhand
So, as a fairly new Stardew player (I've never used any type of forums before, so if this is in the incorrect place I'm sorry!!) I heard from a lot of people to keep one of everything that I forage/catch/grow. This was fine at first, but now that I am in my second year it's getting to be a bit much. I have a lot of chests and I was wondering what you guys thought about this. I'm a level 10 fishing and that's how I make a lot of my money so I have almost three chests of fish alone. I just don't want to mess up!! Thank you!

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
It's good to keep one of everything for the community center bundles, occasional quests, and maybe any crafting or cooking goals you have. One thing that screwed me out of getting the crafting achievement for so long is that I needed every type of forage for a crafting recipe, and I had to wait for a while to get to the correct season :cry:

That being said, the game has no time limits and if you miss something the first time around, you can always get it again! So if you feel like you don't want to hold onto something forever, you shouldn't

troubledsnake

Farmhand
It's good to keep one of everything for the community center bundles, occasional quests, and maybe any crafting or cooking goals you have. One thing that screwed me out of getting the crafting achievement for so long is that I needed every type of forage for a crafting recipe, and I had to wait for a while to get to the correct season :cry:

That being said, the game has no time limits and if you miss something the first time around, you can always get it again! So if you feel like you don't want to hold onto something forever, you shouldn't
Do you personally think I should keep one of every quality too? I've heard that and it takes up a lot of space. Keeping one of everything isn't as bad if it's not every quality too. I just don't want to hold onto unnecessary things that I'll never need. Thank you for replying!! I really appreciate it!!

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
Do you personally think I should keep one of every quality too? I've heard that and it takes up a lot of space. Keeping one of everything isn't as bad if it's not every quality too. I just don't want to hold onto unnecessary things that I'll never need. Thank you for replying!! I really appreciate it!!
personally i wouldn't keep one of every quality, but that's me. There are some gold quality items you'll need to keep a hold of, but only certain ones and not every item

no problem!

metalax

Greenhorn
Keeping one of everything should be only the barest start of your hoard. After all, you may come across the occasion where, with the greatest reluctance, you must give up one of your treasures to obtain something else. And then where would you be if you did not keep two of everything? With a gaping hole in your collection that will gnaw ceaselessly upon your instincts until it is refilled.

Nantonio

Farmhand
Well, the keep 1 of everything rule is for the community bundles so you can just do them in a sitting, but it's not needed to follow. After you get the center, check what each bundle needs and store that. Sell the rest if you're not gonna use it or if it's not a gift for someone in the game.

Holliups

Greenhorn
I dont keep this much myself. If you need something later in game really badly, all it does is give you an incentive to keep playing imo (depending on the rarity of course).

There are a few select fish that may become useful later on, but it's nowhere near necessary. I only keep rare ones I don't catch often, so I can breed them in ponds and have more of them.

Just play the game how you'd like, some people sell everything in their inventory except for crafting materials. I enjoy hoarding useless rocks and artifacts so I can turn them into clothes. I don't have that much forage at all, unless there's something I need for cooking.

I also chose the foraging profession that makes it so all your forage is the same quality because I can't stand having a thousand duplicates in different qualities. That saves me a LOT of space. May be a good tip if you dislike clutter :)

Avendesura

Greenhorn
I agree to keeping at least one of everything (for the Community Center, quests, rarer items) but I'm also a hoarder (so I keep the different quantities, too) and I have a ton of chests filled with stuff but I try to organize as much as I can (so I have several chests for each Season, Ores, Materials, Weapons/Armor, Fish, Food etc.)

tsmooth920

Farmhand
It's a little more work, but as I became more familiar with the game mechanics and noticed my chests starting to pile up, I started checking on the wiki for if a particular item is:

-needed for a bundle
-used in any quests
-used in any recipe (if you're going for craft/cook everything achievement)
-a loved gift for anyone

If it isn't any of those 4 things, I ship it!

Benny G

Newcomer
So, as a fairly new Stardew player (I've never used any type of forums before, so if this is in the incorrect place I'm sorry!!) I heard from a lot of people to keep one of everything that I forage/catch/grow. This was fine at first, but now that I am in my second year it's getting to be a bit much. I have a lot of chests and I was wondering what you guys thought about this. I'm a level 10 fishing and that's how I make a lot of my money so I have almost three chests of fish alone. I just don't want to mess up!! Thank you!
Yes, I would especially if you're just starting out. You might need it later.

Benny G

Newcomer
Have you put anything in the community center or to gunther? Also there's no "messing up" in stardew valley. Just do what you want to.

Benny G

Newcomer
Keeping one of everything should be only the barest start of your hoard. After all, you may come across the occasion where, with the greatest reluctance, you must give up one of your treasures to obtain something else. And then where would you be if you did not keep two of everything? With a gaping hole in your collection that will gnaw ceaselessly upon your instincts until it is refilled.
Been there

tommybob

Planter
I got bored on my save. I was making plenty of money from my crops, so I took about 10% of my crops and stored them. Growing some of every seed I could each season, kept all my fish, foraged goods and everything.

Made a big shed to store it all in, almost like a museum of things :junicheer:

quirmzi

Sodbuster
Keeping only one of an item should be fine, regardless of quality. I would recommend that you also keep 9 high-quality things for the fair if you want a first-place guarantee each time. Of course, you could also find them as you go and have different items each year! It all depends on how you want to play the game.

__Fishy__

Planter
I wouldn't say keep one of everything. There are things like salmon berries that aren't used in any quests, bundles, or other uses. I recently started checking the wiki to see if it is used and if not I just sell it. I'll keep the tab open either in the background or just on my phone to save on time

Journi

Planter
I would just for the community center.
After everything I would sell them if people don't like them for gifts.