Is it my imagination or are Qi Beans super hard to find now?

RKoz

Tiller
I did the Qi Crop challenge during the first release of 1.5 and while it wasn't easy, I could still complete it.

Now, I've got 7 days left and have only managed to ship 167 fruits as the beans are impossible to find. I'm amazed if I can get 10 in a day. I go round shaking trees, fishing, farming, breaking rocks and going down the mines, but they're just not there. I'm using deluxe speed grow, and every day I put half my crop in seed makers and the other half in the shipping bin - just like I did the first time, but it's not making a dent.

Anyone else found this?

imnvs

Local Legend
That quest pisses me off. I think they were too rare right from the beginning and could never complete that one. Now, I refuse to do it any more, so I wouldn't notice a difference if something has changed.

RKoz

Tiller
Nope, tried again, still couldn't do it in 21 days. I think in the first stages of release of 1.5 you had 28 days to complete it, and it was possible. But in 21 days you just can't find enough beans to do it. I spent the last 21 days (well, 18 because even with super deluxe speedgrow it takes 3 days for beans to grow) down the skull caverns fighting monsters, opening chests, and exploding rocks and still couldn't get enough beans to reach 500. This time it was 476, which is extremely frustrating.

Please, Concerned Ape, make the beans more available to find! I love going looking for them.

Or give us a few more days to complete the challenge. Even if I have to go to Mr Qi and buy them!

I’m doing this quest the first time and I was finding 10-15 a day. Pop those into seed makers and have 20-30. I haven’t even sold any yet just keep planting more until the last few days

imnvs

Local Legend
Nope, tried again, still couldn't do it in 21 days. I think in the first stages of release of 1.5 you had 28 days to complete it, and it was possible. But in 21 days you just can't find enough beans to do it.
It shouldn't limit you to 21 days... unless it gave you the option for doing this quest on the 8th of the season. They always cut off at end of season.

RKoz

Tiller
Both times it's come up, it was on the 8th of the month. Can't help that.

I think I'll just stick to making the Skull Caverns go super hard mode and collect gems by killing monsters.

Atsyrk

Newcomer
I had 12 days to ship 500! At first I thought, good thing it’s winter... but now I’m wishing I could at least chop some weeds. This quest is stressful, for sure. It makes sense that it gives you until the end of the season, but holy goodness, it’s still tough!
I have like 100 fruits and 5 days to go and I’ve been doing everything from skull cavern to fishing to chopping down trees... winter is not a great season to tackle this quest. Also, it seems like this is the only thing you can focus on so your sweet animals don’t get the attention they need AND deserve!

I’ve never had this challenge show up on the 1st of the month, always the 8th. As well, my best run was 112 in the 21 days. This challenge is pretty much impossible. I’ve given up on it.

Shart

Planter
I’ve never had this challenge show up on the 1st of the month, always the 8th. As well, my best run was 112 in the 21 days. This challenge is pretty much impossible. I’ve given up on it.
Did you use seed maker to get more qi beans? 112 seems low. The quest is definitely challenging, but it's not impossible to do.
Usually I got ~20 qi beans from mining,opening geodes etc in the first 2 days and then just use seed maker to multiply the beans.

Hoots711

Greenhorn
On switch, i was able to complete in 14 days. It was tight, 21 should be very easy.

Important tip, change ur farm skill to crops grow faster. (In the sewer) That along w speed grows gets it down to 2 days to grow. I spent 1st and 2nd day hunting seeds. Prob found 30-40, mostly bombing runs in volcano. Then just grow and throw everything in the seedmakers (i made 15) over next 10 days before the final 2 large crops to finish on day 14.

I may take it again in winter as its pretty easy once u get the hang of it.

Now if only finding the bugged mummified bat was this easy!!!

Elenna101

Farmer
On switch, i was able to complete in 14 days. It was tight, 21 should be very easy.

Important tip, change ur farm skill to crops grow faster. (In the sewer) That along w speed grows gets it down to 2 days to grow. I spent 1st and 2nd day hunting seeds. Prob found 30-40, mostly bombing runs in volcano. Then just grow and throw everything in the seedmakers (i made 15) over next 10 days before the final 2 large crops to finish on day 14.

I may take it again in winter as its pretty easy once u get the hang of it.

Now if only finding the bugged mummified bat was this easy!!!
I was not quite able to finish it in 14 days, because I was using hyper speed-gro to make it grow in 2 days and I ran out of radioactive ore. Using Agriculturalist instead would have been smart, thanks for the idea! 21 days should definitely be doable even without switching professions, as long as you have enough money for deluxe speed-gro. The biggest issue IMO is finding enough time/empty space to plant and water the last few big harvests.

I was pretty consistently able to get 10 a day, but let's say it takes 3 days to get 20 seeds. Then you plant them with DSG on day 3, and they grow on day 6. IIRC seed makers should double the number on average, so let's say you have 40 on day 6, maybe 50 with whatever other ones you collected in those 3 days. Planting and putting back into the seed maker gives 100 beans on day 9, then 200 on day 12. Let's say you only have space for 100 crops, so you plant 100 on day 12 and double them for a total of 300 on day 15 (the 100 that you didn't plant plus double the 100 you planted. Another 100 planted day 15 will turn into 200 on day 18 for a total of 400, and then planting and doubling another 100 will give you a total of 500 on exactly day 21.

Obviously no need to stick to those exact numbers, that's just me showing that it should be doable with a relatively smallish field of 100.

Hoots711

Greenhorn
I was not quite able to finish it in 14 days, because I was using hyper speed-gro to make it grow in 2 days and I ran out of radioactive ore. Using Agriculturalist instead would have been smart, thanks for the idea! 21 days should definitely be doable even without switching professions, as long as you have enough money for deluxe speed-gro. The biggest issue IMO is finding enough time/empty space to plant and water the last few big harvests.

I was pretty consistently able to get 10 a day, but let's say it takes 3 days to get 20 seeds. Then you plant them with DSG on day 3, and they grow on day 6. IIRC seed makers should double the number on average, so let's say you have 40 on day 6, maybe 50 with whatever other ones you collected in those 3 days. Planting and putting back into the seed maker gives 100 beans on day 9, then 200 on day 12. Let's say you only have space for 100 crops, so you plant 100 on day 12 and double them for a total of 300 on day 15 (the 100 that you didn't plant plus double the 100 you planted. Another 100 planted day 15 will turn into 200 on day 18 for a total of 400, and then planting and doubling another 100 will give you a total of 500 on exactly day 21.

Obviously no need to stick to those exact numbers, that's just me showing that it should be doable with a relatively smallish field of 100.
I think it is smart to save this one for winter. My main farm is 392 tiles and then i reclaimed my animal space for the rest. W 21 days it would have been much easier and only needed my regular farm tiles.

Also, in my case, bombing was a very quick way to get seeds. 35-70-140-280-560 w 2 day grows gets u done in 14 days

I think it is smart to save this one for winter. My main farm is 392 tiles and then i reclaimed my animal space for the rest. W 21 days it would have been much easier and only needed my regular farm tiles.

Also, in my case, bombing was a very quick way to get seeds. 35-70-140-280-560 w 2 day grows gets u done in 14 days
i can agree to this method i stair cased down 15 levels then megabombed the they next 15 or so came back with two prisms and 63 qi beans

Elenna101

Farmer
Late follow-up: I just did a Skull Caverns run and got 45 beans in one day, so apparently that's a good way to get beans? Granted, I'm not sure if the spawn rate is actually higher in Skull Caverns, or if it's just because I'm constantly bombing rocks so of course I had a lot of chances to get beans.

For comparison, I used up 315 explosive ammo, plus about 35ish other bombs of various sizes. So it's possible that it's not actually a higher spawn rate than the regular mines and I just got lots because I was blowing up so many rocks. OTOH there were several times when I got 2 beans from a single bomb (at least once I got 3 beans from a mega bomb), which does seem really high compared to the rate at which I was getting beans in the regular mines. And it would make sense for them to be more common from skull caverns rocks.

Salty1

Planter
... OTOH there were several times when I got 2 beans from a single bomb (at least once I got 3 beans from a mega bomb)
I noticed this can/does happen in the volcano dungeon too, for what it's worth. Probably easier to chain larger amounts of stone in Skull Caverns, though, as well as minimising loss to stuff falling into the lava when you're not close enough.

imnvs

Local Legend
Late follow-up: I just did a Skull Caverns run and got 45 beans in one day, so apparently that's a good way to get beans? Granted, I'm not sure if the spawn rate is actually higher in Skull Caverns, or if it's just because I'm constantly bombing rocks so of course I had a lot of chances to get beans.
A possible contributor is that time actually slows when you're in the SC, so you're there for longer and have more time to blow stuff up.

nicodeux

Farmer
Sorry to revive an old thread but I finally did this quest for the first time after refusing it several times and because some messages here helped me, I think that a bit of contribution might be helpful also to others.

About duration:
In Qi's Walnut Room, the quest was indicated with a 28 days duration, which is the maximum timeframe for this quest. However, once taken, the quest diary displayed only 14 remaining days because we were already in the middle of winter. The duration indicated in Qi's Walnut Room seems misleading, which can explain some comments on this thread about a shortened duration.

Nonetheless, I accepted the challenge though I never did this quest before.
I was able to complete it in 14 days.

Strategy
Keys to success are: time management and propagation because growing 500 fruits of something that you have no reliable source for the seeds is a real challenge.

Day 1
On the first day, I went to the sewers to change farming profession and took "agriculturist". I also bought many Deluxe Fertilizers at Pierre's (faster that crafting them). I went straight to 400 of them because I was aiming at 500 fruits and I was too lazy to do the maths to get the minimum required amount.

With both, time to grow Qi Fruits was cut down from 4 days to 2 days, which is really important because we need to manage time as much as possible.

Still on the first day, I prepared a crop of about 40 spots, watered and with Deluxe Fertilizer and sprinklers for the next days. I also crafted Seed Makers to have at least 5 of them (and I think more is better) in order to reduce waiting time when converting Qi Fruits into Qi Beans.

All the remaining time of the day was spent in Skull Caverns bombing rocks (and killing nearby monsters) in order to find Qi Beans. Why Skull Caverns? Because time slows down in Skull Caverns (as noted above), so this allows to do more actions in a given amount of time and thus to find more beans per time slot. Also, there are often clusters of rocks, that helps to get more possible items (and thus Qi Beans) for a single action: bombing. The run was made with speed buffs: Triple Shot Expressos and Spicy Eels. High magnetism helps to gather items without moving too much in levels.

I aimed to get 20 to 40 Qi Beans for this run (I got the lower end, unfortunately). I returned to the farm no later than midnight to have time to plant the beans in my previously prepared crop.

Day 2
On day 2, I did only the most urgent chores in the farm and spent the day in Skull Caverns for Qi Beans and returned to the farm early enough to plant the beans before 2:00am.
Given the short time window (14 days), it is very important to plant Qi Beans the day they are found.

Day 3
On day 3, the first crop of Qi Fruits was ready and all fruits went to Seed Makers. Basically, this means that every two days, one Qi Beans produces two Qi Beans (on average). I prepared a crop big enough to hold all the new Qi Beans (watered, fertilized and with sprinklers), did minimal chores on the farm and went to Skull Caverns again for more Qi Beans.

Following days
I followed this routine for more days and stopped extending the crop size once it reached about 350 spots. At this point, once I have created enough new Qi Beans through Seed Makers to fill all the spots freed in the crop after the daily harvest, I hoarded all remaining Qi Fruits.

Last days: last friday to sunday
Obviously, no more Qi Beans are planted after the last friday on the quest, which means that all Qi Fruits harvested and all Qi Beans found during the last saturday and sunday must be kept.

I did not sell a single Qi Fruit before the last sunday when I sold 500 of them. The remaining ones (with a few additionnal Qi Beans found on the last two days) were sold to Pierre in order to be bought back the next days (not done yet).

Conclusions
So, with good preparation and dedication, this quest can be done in 14 days (even less as I did not start on the 1st monday) while laying ground to do it easier on next occurrences.

Surprisingly enough, I did not have too much things to clean up/handle/repare in the farm after two weeks on minimal chores. The fact that it was winter helped, though. Furthermore, the quest was not a money sink (quite the opposite) due to the heavy bombings in Skull Caverns that earned me many, many ores and gems.

I know that people also use fishing for finding Qi Beans through maximising treasure chests finding due to high ratio of Qi Beans in chests. I tried this strategy but I got far less Qi Beans than with a Skull Cavern run. I believe I was unlucky with the treasure chests though.