Insta users (not sure if I'm allowed to post full name) please help me! Nowhere else I can ask this.

IndiaHawker

Tiller
So I'm on pc, basically never used IG before. If I'm not following a person (been looking through suggested users) and I've essentially done a bit of a stalk (come on, happens to the best of us right?!) can they see that I've seen their stuff? Like photos, stories whatever they are etc, anything. This seems like a great community where I can ask, literally can't think of anywhere else to go as google is contradicting itself and I don't understand what stories are on IG and if they're different from photos and I'm a little mentally strange tonight so please help me!! Please and thank you <3

MissDandy

Farmer
So I'm on pc, basically never used IG before. If I'm not following a person (been looking through suggested users) and I've essentially done a bit of a stalk (come on, happens to the best of us right?!) can they see that I've seen their stuff? Like photos, stories whatever they are etc, anything. This seems like a great community where I can ask, literally can't think of anywhere else to go as google is contradicting itself and I don't understand what stories are on IG and if they're different from photos and I'm a little mentally strange tonight so please help me!! Please and thank you <3
Hi! So stories are temporary 'posts' that stay on your page/profile for 24-hours. You can add one by clicking on your profile picture on your main feed (where other people's posts show up) in the top left corner.
Your own posts can be added with the '+' button and will permanently on your page unless you choose to remove it.
People can only tell if you looked at their photos if you put a like on it, which can be done by double tapping their image or clicking the heart in the bottom left corner of their post, whether you follow them or not.
People can see if you watched/looked at their story, and you can also see everyone who views yours by clicking the bottom left corner of your own story.
Sometimes, people have separate apps that tell them who has viewed their insta profile without liking their posts, but I don't think it's super common.
People who have blocked you will not be able to see your account, and you won't be able to see theirs.
And also, there are some people who are just up to no good on there and may try and send you links via your Direct Messages (DM's). Don't ever click them if you don't know who sent them. There are a ton of scams happening on there all the time, so just stay super aware. (I learned that one the hard way.)
I hope this helps and is clear enough, its a very watered down description but I think I mentioned all the main points. The best way to find out is to play around on it yourself and just explore it a little, but hopefully this can get you started! :smile:

Odin

Staff member
(not sure if I'm allowed to post full name)
I don't use Instagram so I can't help with your question, but you're certainly allowed to discuss the platform here!