IMNVS. RUNVS? AMA... VS?

Boo1972

Farmer
What do you think is the biggest mistake humanity has made in the last 50 years, besides not addressing climate change?

LRangerR

Local Legend
Your question is easier!
It is! But in order to answer what the "biggest mistake that humanity has made" you must first define what humanity is. I don't think many people fully understand what that means, even more so now in the nu-modern era.

Boo1972

Farmer
I think imnvs can handle it.

Part of the reason for asking the tough question is seeing his thought processes, how does he define humanity what does he see as a mistake.

You can learn more about a person from their response to a question then you can their answer.

imnvs

Local Legend
is your name an abbreviation, and if so, what does it stand for?
It is not, nor an acronym. It is more a pun. Spell the name out out loud with the English pronunciation for each letter. 😉 The thread title will make more sense that way too.
is reality a perception or is perception a reality?
What is reality? Do we even know if how your brain interprets the color blue is the same way that my brain does? We both see it and agree that it is "blue" because we have been taught that a particular wavelength of light is blue... but do different people like different colors because their brains interpret those colors differently? Reality is definitely a perception, but we're all perceiving the same reality.
Who's the character your profile picture?
Black Mage from the old-school Final Fantasy games. This particular drawing of him comes from DeviantArt user isaiahjordan. Traditionally he was more cartoony.
Why are red mages better than black mages? :P
You looking to start a fight, sir?
What do you think is the biggest mistake humanity has made in the last 50 years, besides not addressing climate change?
Listening to our corporate overlords at all, leading to... (gestures around at... well... everything) They have nothing but their own interests in mind, and they are worldwide.

LRangerR

Local Legend
It is not, nor an acronym. It is more a pun. Spell the name out out loud with the English pronunciation for each letter. 😉 The thread title will make more sense that way too.
it all makes sense now...

Black Mage from the old-school Final Fantasy games. This particular drawing of him comes from DeviantArt user isaiahjordan. Traditionally he was more cartoony.
And here i thought it might have just been Vivi all grown up.

You looking to start a fight, sir?
Maybe i am. And maybe Freya is also way better than Vivi.

imnvs

Local Legend
And here i thought it might have just been Vivi all grown up.

Maybe i am. And maybe Freya is also way better than Vivi.
You know, I haven't actually played FFIX. (I finally checked back on this part I hadn't responded to because I looked at it and was like 🤔 🤗 , but then decided to do a bit of research and now I will.) FFVIII kinda soured me on FF for a little bit. Thing is, though, that Vivi is a black mage. Pretty much all black mages have the same basic costume... it's just that Vivi is a bit more cartoony and isaiahjordan's work is closer to an manga style while still being quite loyal to the original style that Vivi was also based on...

...and that was pretty freaking basic. Take a look:
original BM sprite.jpg

LRangerR

Local Legend
You know, I haven't actually played FFIX. (I finally checked back on this part I hadn't responded to because I looked at it and was like 🤔 🤗 , but then decided to do a bit of research and now I will.) FFVIII kinda soured me on FF for a little bit. Thing is, though, that Vivi is a black mage. Pretty much all black mages have the same basic costume... it's just that Vivi is a bit more cartoony and isaiahjordan's work is closer to an manga style while still being quite loyal to the original style that Vivi was also based on...

...and that was pretty freaking basic. Take a look:
Well, all of FF9 was a bit cartoony, to be fair. It's something that puts a LOT of people off the game. Kinda like how that one Zelda game (windwaker i believe but I'm not sure), received a lot of flak because it was cell shaded but people now shower nothing but praise on it. That's kinda how FF9 is, and it's a seriously great game. I highly recommend playing it, as there's definitely a reason that many people consider it their favorite FF over other popular classics like 6 and 7.

But yeah I understand why FF8 would be a bit off-putting. It's a shame though, the story had a lot of potential but for whatever reason Square decided that moody characters like Squall and Cloud were the way to go. (The mechanics in that game are also a horrid abomination, but we won't talk about that xD)

I think you'd like 9 though. Black mages actually play a central role in the plot, especially Vivi, but I won't spoil too much aside from the fact that he goes through a serious existential crisis that the game addresses in a very serious manner.

imnvs

Local Legend
FF was never one to shy away from character development...

...but yes, it was the mechanics of FFVIII that killed it for me.

One of the things that endears FFVII to me, though, was the reluctant hero arc that Cloud goes through... that and the fact that I lucked into defeating Ruby Weapon in the easiest way possible to kill him in the hardest way possible. (Until there's only 1 person in the party, he ejects people, so people liked going in with 2 people down already so he'll skip that... I didn't. And then, if you KotR him, he responds with an Ultima instantly. I used KotR and mime, but KotR was tied to an HP absorb so every time I did it I was at full HP, then he'd Ultima and I'd take a lot of damage... but then I'd mime KotR and be at full HP again... repeat until he is dead.)

LRangerR

Local Legend
FF was never one to shy away from character development...

...but yes, it was the mechanics of FFVIII that killed it for me.

One of the things that endears FFVII to me, though, was the reluctant hero arc that Cloud goes through... that and the fact that I lucked into defeating Ruby Weapon in the easiest way possible to kill him in the hardest way possible. (Until there's only 1 person in the party, he ejects people, so people liked going in with 2 people down already so he'll skip that... I didn't. And then, if you KotR him, he responds with an Ultima instantly. I used KotR and mime, but KotR was tied to an HP absorb so every time I did it I was at full HP, then he'd Ultima and I'd take a lot of damage... but then I'd mime KotR and be at full HP again... repeat until he is dead.)
That's pretty great, lol. Yeah the Ruby and Emerald weapons sucked hard. One thing I didn't like about FF7 was how damn long KotR was. I swear, i could go make a sandwich, come back, eat half of it, and the damn summon would STILL be going on! And you said you had it on mime? lol, oye. I get why people like 7, but it's not exactly my favorite RPG of all time. There are many RPGs out there that have better stories and mechanics, but 7 is still a very solid game. It also has Cid. Never did understand why he's a dragoon class, but whatever.