PC [HELP] Screen Tearing?

Iamchi

Newcomer
Hello all,

Since the 1.5 update, I've been experiencing screen-tearing and FPS drops/stuttering. I have tried changing from fullscreen to windowed, validating my game files in steam, re-installing SV and I cannot think of anything else to do.

Is this a common issue at the moment? It's hurting my eyes and I would like to play :(

Iamchi

Newcomer
Hi, I'm having a similar issue. My screen freezes for 2-4 seconds every 10 seconds while walking around.
Yeah I made a Reddit thread and others are experiencing this too. I think it might be an issue with the recent update so I hope that they can fix this soon!

mitchmitchmitch

Greenhorn
Yeah I made a Reddit thread and others are experiencing this too. I think it might be an issue with the recent update so I hope that they can fix this soon!
I think I just fixed my issue! I used the task manager to set Stardew Valley's priority to "high". While running STV, open the task manager and go to the "Details" tab. Scroll down until you see Stardew Valley.exe, right click on it and go to "set priority" and select "high". Since doing this I have no frame stuttering or skipping anymore! Good luck, I hope this works for you. Feel free to post this possible solution in the reddit thread too.

mitchmitchmitch

Greenhorn
Just a quick update on this solution, it appears that my PC doesn't remember the setting change in the Task Manager. For me, I need to change Stardew Valley's priority back to "high" every time I boot up the game. Annoying, sure, but not a deal breaker.

TheHaricover

Newcomer
I got a similar issue. If I activate the V-Sync I go from 60fps to 45, which is very annoying. But if disable the V-Sync my game run smoothly at 60fps but with a solid screen tearing. I'm playing with the screen tearing for now, but if anyone got a solution, please share it !

EDIT (07/01/2020) : I realized today that I have the same issue in Minecraft. I'm around 100 fps, but if I enable the V-Sync (which I should, because I got screen tearing) I go to 45 fps.

Last edited:

TheHaricover

Newcomer
I found a solution (at least for me, sorry for the others)
I'm on Manjaro, with XFCE as the desktop environment. I used the commands in the "Video tearing" of the Arch Linux wiki page for Xfwm, the windows manager of XFCE (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xfwm#Video_tearing). The first one is to change the "--vblank" mode option of "xfwm" (glx, xpresent or off). The second one is to save the options you want for all the other boots. Now I can use the V-Sync of Stardew Valley without going to 45 fps.

Odin

Staff member
I got a similar issue. If I activate the V-Sync I go from 60fps to 45, which is very annoying. But if disable the V-Sync my game run smoothly at 60fps but with a solid screen tearing. I'm playing with the screen tearing for now, but if anyone got a solution, please share it !

EDIT (07/01/2020) : I realized today that I have the same issue in Minecraft. I'm around 100 fps, but if I enable the V-Sync (which I should, because I got screen tearing) I go to 45 fps.
This what v-sync does and would be expected behavior (assuming 45 frames is what your monitor can display). Depending on your monitor, your computer may "draw" frames faster than your computer can keep up with. This causes the tearing issue you're seeing. V-sync forces the game to match the frame rate to what your monitor can handle, which will affect your fps, but stop tearing issues.