Windows [HELP] Mutiplayer hosting constant DC's.

carbahydrate

Greenhorn
Hello everyone I have been playing Stardew recently with my gf and every time we play online and I host then she Dc's every single day almost:(. Started happening recentlyish. The DC happens at random moments in the days. We looked at several people with similar issues the fixes didn't really work on at times. It is weird and would like help so we can just play it normally:). It's hard when they dc and lose stuff it's not fun.

stardewperson

Newcomer
same issue here.. started a farm with a friend 2-3 weeks ago, I am host, and she gets disconnected every 1-3 in-game days.. on occasion twice per in-game day

in almost every case internet issues can be ruled out (no issues with online voice communication)

doesn't seem to lose items, but can be extremely inconvenient when the person is far away from their cabin.. can miss in-game missions and event related stuff

aurie

Newcomer
same issue for the longest time. bro and I play co-op, we're on the same router using cable.
if he hosts, i DC
if i host, he DCs. it's damn frustrating, i get DC in the middle of cutscenes. i know it's gonna happen when I can't open boxes or dropped items arent flying to me.
we did notice there's a trend in the timing, usually my evenings around 6pm onwards, game connection gets choppy and the farmhand gets disconnected, A LOT. we can play during the day for hours and it's fine, then suddenly hit this "peak" timing and that's it. we can't play anymore.

there's a looonnngggg thread on this in steam but there's been no help so someone said to report it here.

seoulshark

Newcomer
Same issue here, ever since 1.5.5 came out me and my friends have disconnect issues constantly while playing. We tried every fix there is to find and nothing works, All signs point to a issue in the server code at this point. :/

Creszel

Newcomer
Same here, we play with 4 people and someone is always disconnecting. The last time 2 of us would disconnect at the same exact time.

GreaterDane

Cowpoke
Hey folks, can you post with more detail in the thread below? Especially what kind of network you're using, Steam or GOG, Windows version... basically what the first post lists.

[BUG] Frequent disconnects only in Stardew Valley

Hopefully we can figure out the cause, or at least bring more attention to the issue. As a fellow software developer, I understand the need for precise information when looking into a complex, intermittent problem like network disconnects.

Last edited:

frontierkodiak

Greenhorn
I have been playing for ~2 weeks (all multiplayer) and at least one of us disconnects every game. We only play in evening hours (CST). The game host never is disconnects, only those who are connecting to the host. Sometimes fully restarting steam works, usually the affected players just have to keep closing and retrying for up to half an hour.

The issue appears to be OS-agnostic, I have no issues when I am host on either Windows & Linux computers, but am disconnected at least once per session when connecting to my friend’s host. Mac users appear to be affected more often, although this additional rate may be unrelated as these disconnects are correlated with whole-game crashes that I do not experience on Windows or Linux. I have a Mac crash report that I have not yet parsed if it is of interest.

All 4 of us are using Steam copies of the game. We are all on WiFi networks, except I am using 5G tethering for my wifi rather than home service. My friends have reported the issue even when I am not playing and they are all using home Wi-Fi networks.

I will try to think of additional relevant details tomorrow and repost these findings in the thread below. Would love to figure this one out.

Jumping in to report the same issue.

Picked this game again after a while (we stopped playing around the time Ginger Island was released), only now guest to keep disconnecting after some minutes of game time.

Sometimes, usually whenever I disconnected when our character sleeps, the game would simply force close for me, and somehow it would end up in a black screen for the host.

Host runs macOS Big Sur, I run Linux, as far as I know there are no error logs in either one of us.

Deavir

Newcomer
Not sure this will help anyone else. I play multiplayer with wife and she would keep disconnecting. We have tried different laptops and even wired connections with no help. I figured it was her laptop and updated everything, it is still win 10 as is my desktop but my laptop was win 11, again no difference still disconnecting. I have google wifi with mesh network so I decided to disconnect the mesh point because I tried everything else. It ended up fixing the problem, no idea why...