PC [HELP] Game will not launch even after extensive troubleshooting

Losta

Newcomer
Hi!

After spending quite some time trying to troubleshoot with the help of Pathoschild (thanks again!), I have come here to ask for support because I really do not know what to do anymore.

The game updated on the 2nd of December. I was able to play Thursday (2nd of December) and Friday (3rd of December) with the 1.5.5 update just fine without mods, by removing the Steam launch option to SMAPI. I decided to try and update SMAPI and mods today (Saturday, 4th of December). I am playing Stardew Valley 1.5.5, through Steam, on Windows 10 Pro.

I installed SMAPI 3.13.1 and .NET 5.0 Runtime, after which Stardew Valley will no longer launch. When I press "Play" in Steam, it says the game is running for a few seconds, and then stops. What I tried:
  • Removing the Steam launch option to SMAPI so it's empty
  • Removing all mods from the Mods folder
  • Deleting and re-installing SMAPI 3.13.1
  • Removing Stardew Valley and re-installing through Steam
  • Verify file integrity through Steam
  • Deleting the startup_preferences folder in %AppData%/StardewValley
  • Deleting and re-installing .NET 5.0 Runtime
  • Deleting .NET 5.0 Runtime
  • Deleting SMAPI 3.13.1 and installing beta SMAPI 3.13.2 (no .NET 5.0 dependency)
  • Deleting StardewModdingAPI.runtimeconfig.json in my game folder, copying Stardew Valley.runtimeconfig.json, and renaming the copy to StardewModdingAPI.runtimeconfig.json. Ran ./StardewModdingAPI.exe in PowerShell again and got the following output:
    [SMAPI] SMAPI 3.13.2-alpha.20211204 with Stardew Valley 1.5.5 on Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    [SMAPI] Mods go here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\Mods
  • Replacing StardewModdingAPI.runtimeconfig.json in Notepad++ with the code below (provided by Pathoschild):
    Code:
    {
    "runtimeOptions": { "tfm": "net5.0",
    "framework": {
    "name": "Microsoft.NETCore.App",
    "version": "5.0.0",
    "rollForward": "major"
    },
    "configProperties": {
    "System.Runtime.TieredCompilation": false
    }
    }
    }
    and then ran ./StardewModdingAPI.exe in PowerShell again with the same output as before:
    [SMAPI] SMAPI 3.13.2-alpha.20211204 with Stardew Valley 1.5.5 on Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    [SMAPI] Mods go here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\Mods
  • Open a terminal in the game folder and run dotnet "Stardew Valley.dll" with no result
  • Try and launch the game through Steam without internet connection
  • Try and launch the game through Steam Big Picture Mode
  • Un-installing Stardew Valley through Steam, removing the Stardew Valley folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley and %appdata%/StardewValley folder then restarting my PC and re-installing Stardew Valley through Steam then try to run Stardew Valley.exe in the game folder
    Change the Steam launch option to SMAPI and try to launch the game (unsuccessful), change Steam launch option to default and try to launch the game (unsuccessful)
  • Reinstalling .NET 5.0 Runtime, restarting my PC and open a terminal in the game folder and run dotnet "Stardew Valley.dll" with no output
Here's the SMAPI log: https://smapi.io/log/7a2409fe52dc4f48acd1b307f74c9813

Pathos concluded that Stardew Valley appears to crash really early in the launch process because there is no output whatsoever in the PowerShell terminal when trying to launch the game. It is most likely not a SMAPI issue. At the moment of posting the situation is: Stardew Valley 1.5.5 installed through Steam with default (empty) launch options. No SMAPI installed, no .NET 5.0 installed, no Mods folder, no Saves folder.

In case it is relevant, my hardware specs are:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.60 GHz
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
  • 16gb of RAM
  • m.2 ssd
I'm open to trying anything at this point, because I just want to do some farming. If you've made it this far, thank you so much.

TL;DR: Stardew Valley will not launch no matter what, after installing .NET 5.0 for the first time, even without SMAPI/mods.

Attachments

Last edited:

Berfquack

Newcomer
I am having the same issue with Stardew Valley not launching from Steam even without mods. From the Windows Event Viewer I am seeing this error with .NET runtime 5. Fresh install from Steam.

Application: Stardew Valley.exe
CoreCLR Version: 5.0.721.25508
.NET Version: 5.0.7
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 00007FFE2B93ED10

Along with the error:
Faulting application name: Stardew Valley.exe, version: 1.3.37.0, time stamp: 0x609308e7
Faulting module name: SDL2.dll, version: 2.0.18.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000012ed10
Faulting process id: 0x33a0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7e95dbbdd4c2c
Faulting application path: G:\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\Stardew Valley.exe
Faulting module path: G:\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\SDL2.dll
Report Id: d7588da9-66c8-4b03-9395-4be8f7aef552
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Same version of .Net is installed (5.0.12).

I have two games libraries on my system and I have tested out both drives same issue.

Specs:
CPU: AMD 3800x
GPU: AMD 5700XT
Memory: 32gb
Windows 10 21H1 (10.0.19043) 64-Bit

Prsim 99

Sodbuster
When the 1.5.5 update came out, my game would not start. I had made a backup copy of my 1.5.5 first release directory, before updating to the 1.5.5 fix. I noticed the sdl2.dll in the 1.5.5 original is 2.0.14, but the hotfix has version 2.0.18. If I replace 2.0.18 with 2.0.14 then the hotfix works. Maybe if you can get 2.0.14 version of sdl2.dll it might fix it?

OhNinety

Newcomer
Anyone still having problems should look for a file named Galaxy64.dll in the main game file. If you see the file, delete and try to relaunch the game. I did this after reading crash logs and determining that this was the problem. I'm sorry if this doesn't solve it for you and I wish you luck.