PC [HELP] Game not launching on Mac

WarpedArrow

Farmhand
Hello! I've been at this for hours trying to solve this problem with no luck, despite it looking like a pretty common problem. When I try to launch the game, it takes a few seconds to say it is launching and then fails. I've had the game for years, and it was working fine last week. I've followed every guide I can find on different fixes, including the one pinned in the steam discussions and any other thread or guide I can find that talks about it. Finally, I installed SMAPI, and here is the output I got on trying to launch the game.

Code:
SMAPI failed to initialize: System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'StardewModdingAPI.Constants' threw an exception. ---> System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'StardewValley.Game1' threw an exception. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file "/etc/localtime"
File name: '/etc/localtime'
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) <0x100ba1540 + 0x00833> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share) <0x1037dcb50 + 0x00053> in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream:.ctor (string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess,System.IO.FileShare)
  at System.IO.File.OpenRead (System.String path) <0x1037dca20 + 0x0004a> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.TimeZoneInfo.FindSystemTimeZoneByFileName (System.String id, System.String filepath) <0x1037dc940 + 0x00046> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.TimeZoneInfo.CreateLocal () <0x1037da8a0 + 0x00342> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.TimeZoneInfo.get_Local () <0x1037da7c0 + 0x0002d> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.TimeZoneInfo.GetDateTimeNowUtcOffsetFromUtc (DateTime time, System.Boolean& isAmbiguousLocalDst) <0x1037da750 + 0x0001f> in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.DateTime.get_Now () <0x1037da240 + 0x00056> in <filename unknown>:0
  at StardewValley.Game1..cctor () <0x100b6eb20 + 0x0099a> in <filename unknown>:0
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
Game has ended. Press any key to exit.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karmakat91

Newcomer
yes i am having the same issue. i was playing yesterday Jan 21st and everything was fine. the 1.5.4 patch updated and i am now not able to load the game on my mac. kinda a bummer

Odin

Staff member
Finally, I installed SMAPI, and here is the output I got on trying to launch the game.
If you haven't yet, I'd recommend verifying your game files: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335
yes i am having the same issue. i was playing yesterday Jan 21st and everything was fine. the 1.5.4 patch updated and i am now not able to load the game on my mac. kinda a bummer
Hi! Unfortunately there are many potential reasons that your game may not be launching, so we can't assume it's the same problem. If you haven't already, can you try the steps here (in the "Game doesn't launch" and "Game freezes or crashes while opening" sections): https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Modding:Player_Guide/Troubleshooting#Game_doesn.27t_launch
If none of those fix it, please mention so!

hopexfeathers

Newcomer
hi! i think i'm having the same (or a similar) problem: terminal shows me an error message about a missing file named '/etc/localtime' when i try to launch the game. i verified my game files like Odin recommended but steam said everything looked okay. like op, i've played stardew for years, but i haven't touched it (much less any files) in a couple months, so i'm confident i didn't accidentally delete a file i shouldn't have or something like that, but i know next to nothing about these things so i feel pretty much at a loss. anyway, if anyone can offer a solution i can try that would be amazing!

edit: i've tried most of the other basic solutions that other forums seem to reiterate. plugging in headphones, reinstalling, restarting things, etc. this seems to be the only forum that mentions that '/etc/localtime' error message.

pepoluan

Cowpoke
hi! i think i'm having the same (or a similar) problem: terminal shows me an error message about a missing file named '/etc/localtime' when i try to launch the game. i verified my game files like Odin recommended but steam said everything looked okay. like op, i've played stardew for years, but i haven't touched it (much less any files) in a couple months, so i'm confident i didn't accidentally delete a file i shouldn't have or something like that, but i know next to nothing about these things so i feel pretty much at a loss. anyway, if anyone can offer a solution i can try that would be amazing!

edit: i've tried most of the other basic solutions that other forums seem to reiterate. plugging in headphones, reinstalling, restarting things, etc. this seems to be the only forum that mentions that '/etc/localtime' error message.
Try following the steps here: https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/335201