Android Help: game is offset

erk

Greenhorn
I have to tap to the right of whatever button I need to hit, space to walk in, or object to interact with. It started as soon as I entered character creation and continued when I started the game. I tried switching control schemes and different padding levels but no dice. It's like playing with beer goggles on, I never know exactly where to tap to interact with my target except that it will be to the right of where it is displayed on screen.

I am on a Motorola Edge Plus, Android 11

I don't see any game updates (but there shouldn't be any yet as I just bought the game like an hour ago).

I do not have any mods

I do not have this issue with any other apps.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you!

Jakerspip123

Greenhorn
Jeez, was looking all over for solutions to this, but sorry I'm empty handed :(

Same device, Moto Edge+
Same problem aswell, everything is offset to the left so that you must tap to the right of anything to interact with it.

Did you notice that the screen under the camera wasn't being used? I think the picture being provided isn't aligned with the screen itself?

Just some brainstorming while we wait for possible solutions.

This is a silly question, but it made me wonder since something similar happened in another game I play... do you have zoom turned on in your moto software by any chance? Also, I may be waaaay off base, if so please ignore. It only occurred to me since it was also moto users.

Jakerspip123

Greenhorn
This is a silly question, but it made me wonder since something similar happened in another game I play... do you have zoom turned on in your moto software by any chance? Also, I may be waaaay off base, if so please ignore. It only occurred to me since it was also moto users.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this?

Sweeping through my head I can't think of anything related to zoom that I would have changed.

But it's interesting that you mention zoom, because in other applications such as YouTube you can manually switch between the video being stretched to wrap around the edge display and utilize the screen space under the camera or be confined to the usual boundaries.

In our case the problem seems to be that the video we receive from the game is in the "confined state" (Not using the screen space under the camera) meanwhile the game is taking touch data as if it where using the full display.

Since our camera is on the right of the screen (When held horizontal) the picture has to be offset to the left resulting in the black bar you'll see on the right of the attached screenshot. What you are seeing is the game trying to get out from under the camera.

The problem is, it's not taking the position of touches with it. So every tap is now "a black bar's width" offset to the right of the image.

I hope this a thorough enough explanation as to what I believe is going on :)

Attachments

Some folks turn on magnification in their android software for playing games and doing other stuff and this can have other unintended effects. Sounds like that's not the case for you though, so, you can safely disregard. Sorry, no idea why this is happening for you though a cursory google search turns up a fair bit about this being related to android 11 since the issue cropped up for many folks on update from 10 to 11. There was one or two suggested fixes in that last link but no idea if they worked or still work. Sounds like it would be a pain. If it is happening in multiple apps, it might be a good idea to get in touch with Motorola and/or Android devs to see if they can propose a fix?

Jakerspip123

Greenhorn
If it is happening in multiple apps, it might be a good idea to get in touch with Motorola and/or Android devs to see if they can propose a fix?
I suppose I should've mentioned that this is the first time I've experienced an issue like this with ANY application I've used, so it appears to be exclusive to Stardew

Ah, that helps, thanks for adding. I'm just a forum user like you, but I am a tiny bit of a tech nerd. That is interesting, the more info you can provide the more help it may be to the devs. Is that black strip at the right of the screenshot the bottom of the phone (and would it be part of the regular black touch gesture area, I ask because this was described in the link I posted, so am curious if it is roughly same area but can't tell based on screenshot which way the phone is oriented)? If so, what is the expected behavior of that in landscape?

From what I understand, Moto edge is a phone whose screen goes pretty much edge to edge with no physical buttons on its face, so the touch area is the lower part of the screen (in portrait mode), for which I'm not sure if the phone's software or the apps need to scale to adjust or provide an overlay... I wonder if it is not taking this properly into account, and I also what the usual/desired behavior is when using an app in landscape.

Perhaps it alternatively it might be related the app trying to compensate for 'Edge Display' On Android 11, apps that have lost edge display may need to use an API to activate, Waterfall API.

Regardless, hopefully whatever it is they could fix it in time for the 1.5 mobile release. 🤞🍀

Last edited:

Jakerspip123

Greenhorn
Is that black strip at the right of the screenshot the bottom of the phone (and would it be part of the regular black touch gesture area (I ask because this was described in the link I posted, so am curious if that is the same area)? If so, what is the expected behavior of that in landscape?
I believe what you're talking about is what Motorola refers to as a navigation bar, which I currently have disabled and never had enabled, typically It would appear at the bottom of the screen (Opposite of the camera/black bar since you were wondering) and would contain three icons for home, task manager, and a back button.

In my current configuration, I've done away for the need of the navigation bar, and instead opted for Motorola's "Gesture control". It's a small white line that will appear at the bottom of the screen when no application is open, or it will appear when you swipe down to check the time in a fullscreen application. Note: The bar does not have to be visible to serve its function, it's always there just hidden at times.

I believe it's similar to how a newer iPhone's navigation works, since both phones don't have physical home buttons.

Ill mess around with settings related to the navigation bar and gesture control, but I'm not sure it'll have much effect considering that both control schemes would appear from the bottom/long edge of the screen in landscape.

Jakerspip123

Greenhorn
Here is another screenshot, this time simulating what would happen if I did a quick swipe down from the top of the screen.

The top of the phone with the selfie camera would be on the right of the image, notice that my notification bar with the time continues into the space Stardew won't use.

Also, don't be shy, if there's any kind of screenshot anyone would like me to take to get a better idea I'm happy to. :)

Attachments

Last edited:
Thanks for the added info! Yeah, I'm wondering if it is not calculating properly the available space to take up based on some unknown factor. Ruling out magnification for misalignment was good (it causes misalignment issues in other apps). What happens to your touch alignment in-game if you turn the nav bar back on? To me this may just helpful perhaps in ruling some stuff out if anything.

Last edited:

Jakerspip123

Greenhorn
Now this is odd...

The black bar is still there, but...

Look where those buttons appear when I do the same kind of swipe down as before.

This is what that navigation bar looks like btw.

No change to the touches position either.

Screenshot_20210712-193538.png

Last edited:
Right on! The portrait nav area buttons appearing at the right on landscape when turned on does look like it is indeed expecting a menu or something to be there and it is adjusting incorrectly based on that. Interesting it pops at the right at all while in landscape orientation.

At least we know for sure what it was trying to accommodate something and failing causing the gap. Even cooler if you found the fix, thanks for sharing it! I'm sure it will come in useful for someone else, so it is much appreciated. 🙃🙂 Also narrowing it down to a specific component or setting might be helpful for the devs if it is something they can accommodate for. If not, it is still something players can accommodate for following your text. Thanks for indulging my questions.

Last edited:

Jakerspip123

Greenhorn
As I'd guessed, it's the camera cutouts fault.

But, luckily I discovered that you can fix the problem via the Moto Edge+ settings.

Screenshot_20210712-202323~2.png

^ First you'll want to open up your device's settings, then tap on "Display".

Screenshot_20210712-202427-204.png

^ And we want the good stuff in the back, so go ahead and tap "advanced."

Screenshot_20210712-202521-398.png

^ Scroll down just a little bit, and tap on "Full screen" you can see where this is going ;)

Screenshot_20210712-202749-624.png

^ Boom! Go ahead and make sure Stardew is checked on that list, restart the app, and you should notice the game now fills the entire screen.

Before:
Screenshot_20210712-194930.png

After:
Screenshot_20210712-204708.png

Now the image and the touch screen are realigned! Go ahead and give it a try, no more having to purposely tap off target, it's really accurate now.

It's a little tricky to understand unless you have the phone in hand, the phone doesn't capture the camera hole in screenshots so I hope this makes good sense.