Mac [HELP] fps suddenly dropping game-wreckingly low

EscaJ

Newcomer
I'm running MacOS Monterey 12.4 and the 64bit version of SV through steam.

My partner and I have been playing multiplayer for a good while now, and before the weekend we had a good playing session with no problems. This Monday when I opened the game it was stuttering like all hell, and from tapping and counting I'm getting about 4-5 fps when it's at its worst (it does vary a bit, but it's never smooth). You can see the video clip I've added in to see what it's like, it sure is making fishing near impossible. It begins stuttering from the very first logo and the main menu.

I am the one hosting the game, and I am the only one experiencing the problem, the game is running smooth for my partner (who is not hosting), so it's not a connectivity issue. I've also opened the game in single player to check, and find the same problem. I've checked other games, and it's only Stardew Valley that has this problem. I've not had any updates to the laptop I'm using, I've been running the same version of the OS for at least a couple months now. Between the last time the game worked and the first time it stuttered the laptop has just been in sleep mode for a couple days while I was away (which happens regularly) and then regular internet usage of checking emails etc. I can't find a good trigger for the problems, it seems to have come out of nowhere.

I've been looking around online for solutions. Uninstalling and reinstalling, using the compatibility version, restarting the laptop, unchecking (or re-checking) VSync, full screen or windowed, and messing about with the steam settings for overlay and other things did not help. Most of the other solutions I come across are very Microsoft specific.

Here's a link to a video clip on my google drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hViaUk_YgoADm3DR_znRbZ6IhZqrt-L6/view?usp=sharing
(enjoy my partners excitement at catching literally anything)

I really hope I'm overlooking something simple, if I can't fix this it'll essentially make the game unplayable for me.