PC [HELP] FPS stuttering?

Bump3r

Greenhorn
Hi. I’ve recently got back into playing Stardew Valley, but for some reason the frame rate keeps stuttering. It’s especially noticeable when walking and seeing the camera being all janky.

I have a Mac. It’s not the most powerful computer in the world, but it has never had any problems playing Stardew. I haven’t played since the 1.5 update, so maybe that’s it? I was playing with mods before, so I thought that may have been why, but it was lagging even when I uninstalled the mods. I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling and closing all other applications. Nothing worked. Help?

Lew Zealand

Helper
Thanks. I have a Mac tho so I’m not sure how those instructions translate over.
Your Mac has an integrated graphics processor (iGPU) as part of your CPU, but depending on which Mac you have it can also have a second, discrete graphics processor (dGPU) separate from the CPU. In @Laissez_Faire_Farming 's link, CA suggested turning off the iGPU and just using the dGPU. If you have a Mac with that second dGPU, you can do that here:

Open System Preferences from the Apple menu
Open Energy Saver
Un
check Automatic graphics switching

It may ask you to log off or restart, please do that.

This will turn off the iGPU and force the Mac to use the dGPU only. And try the game out again and see if there's any improvement.

duderyan100

Newcomer
I am also getting the stuttering problem,
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.01 GHz
32 GB Ram
Windows 10
GTX 1080 gigabyte g1
and I've tried all the solutions posted so far
the display adapters, cpu affinity, V-sync

Lew Zealand

Helper
I am also getting the stuttering problem,
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.01 GHz
32 GB Ram
Windows 10
GTX 1080 gigabyte g1
and I've tried all the solutions posted so far
the display adapters, cpu affinity, V-sync
Hey so I have a similar enough PC (i7-9700F, GTX 1080, Win 10, 16GB) and have been playing SDV recently and notice an occasional stutter but not often. Most of the time I don't notice any frame drops. I have a 144Hz monitor hooked up with a DP cable, but usually set the video out to 60Hz for SDV. And almost as usually forget to change anything because remembery bad.

OK so I just tested at 144Hz using VSync. LOL because I forgot to change to 60Hz. Wow, big brain... I have a Freesync compatible monitor which does sync up with the 1080. I usually run Windowed because I'm taking notes for a writing thingy in another window but I also tested Fullscreen and got 2 frame drops when
running around the map for about 5 minutes. IMO that's normal? With Intel integrated graphics in other computers, including Macs, I don't see many frame drops but maybe a few more. I did see noticeably more frame drops with a Radeon 5600XT. AMD DX9 drivers may not be good enough? But the 1080s been good and I had a 1060 before this one and performance was similar.

I'm using the GOG version of SDV but that shouldn't make a difference. I think? 🤷‍♀️

Sunaru

Greenhorn
I'm on an older Mac (2014 mid year) MB Pro and I also have the stuttering issue. Strangely it doesn't happen on multiplayer, I've tried switching to my gf's world after stuttering on my single player world and bam no stutter, then load up my single player world again and it stutters like crazy.

Lew Zealand

Helper
I'm on an older Mac (2014 mid year) MB Pro and I also have the stuttering issue. Strangely it doesn't happen on multiplayer, I've tried switching to my gf's world after stuttering on my single player world and bam no stutter, then load up my single player world again and it stutters like crazy.
I also have a MB Pro from the same year (a 15") but of course I don't have it in front of me but will in a few hours to test. I don't have a discrete graphics card as mine is the base model but if you have a 13" you have the same setup as me. However if you have a higher model 15" with a discrete graphics card, there is something I posted above to try to fix it:

CA suggested turning off the integrated GPU (iGPU) and just using the discrete GPU (dGPU). If you have a Mac with that second dGPU, you can do that here:

Open Energy Saver
Un

This will turn off the iGPU and force the Mac to use the dGPU only. And try the game out again and see if there's any improvement.

I hope this works for you!

Lew Zealand

Helper
OK I just installed SDV 1.5.4 from GOG on my MBPro and played a bit. I tried Windowed and Windowed Borderless, both with Vsync enabled and no stutters with either setting. Reminder that I only have the low-end iGPU version of this MBPro so I can't even try CA's suggestion in the above post. Oh, I have macOS 11.6.1.

Sunaru

Greenhorn
I also have a MB Pro from the same year (a 15") but of course I don't have it in front of me but will in a few hours to test. I don't have a discrete graphics card as mine is the base model but if you have a 13" you have the same setup as me. However if you have a higher model 15" with a discrete graphics card, there is something I posted above to try to fix it:

CA suggested turning off the integrated GPU (iGPU) and just using the discrete GPU (dGPU). If you have a Mac with that second dGPU, you can do that here:

Open Energy Saver
Un

I hope this works for you!
Thanks for the reply! I have a base model 15 inch too so no dGPU for me. Also I don't have energy saver under system preferences, the closest is battery but that only gives me info about the battery. I wonder if it's the same on yours since we have the same laptop? I'm on Big Sur 11.6.1 if it matters.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Thanks for the reply! I have a base model 15 inch too so no dGPU for me. Also I don't have energy saver under system preferences, the closest is battery but that only gives me info about the battery. I wonder if it's the same on yours since we have the same laptop? I'm on Big Sur 11.6.1 if it matters.
We have the same machine and same OS! Yeah all we get is the Battery Settings in Energy Saver, not the Graphics Switching option as we have no graphics to switch, only one "choice".

In Stardew Valley's settings, please try the Vsync option if you aren't using it already. If you have that checked already, maybe uncheck it, close the settings, then open the settings again and check that Vsync option again? I hope that makes it better!

Tinybillow

Tiller
Just wanted to leave note, I'm also having this issue on mac. Played SD for years and never had this issue until 1.5.4 (currently on the beta 1.5.5 but its still the same) Tried pretty much all the things listed all over that I could read or think of. I even tried using terminal to give top priority to SD, and that didn't bring a solution. Also noticed it's pretty intermittent, sometimes it will go away, and then it come backs day to day in the game. Really strange.

Miyog

Newcomer
If anyone checks this in the future, I’m reviving this thread for a fix. I’m running a 2020 MBP 13” with M1 on Ventura. Full screen mode sometimes gives me choppy gameplay but if I switch to windowed mode and maximize the window (option+green button) it removes any hint of lag.