PC [HELP] Can I use Steam for my game that I bought on GOG?

Bark Ruffalo

Planter
I purchased my game on GOG, but my daughter and I are having issues with multiplayer so I was wondering if I could install Steam and use it instead of GOG for whatever it is that Steam does or do I need to repurchase from Steam? I don't mind, as it's on sale now, but I'd rather not have to.

Odin

Staff member
If you purchased the game on GOG and are trying to play multiplayer, you'll need to launch the game through GOG Galaxy: https://www.gog.com/galaxy
If you've done that and are still having trouble, I recommend trying the following guides if you haven't yet:
Unfortunately there's no guarentee that using the Steam version would solve the issue you're having.

LRangerR

Local Legend
I purchased my game on GOG, but my daughter and I are having issues with multiplayer so I was wondering if I could install Steam and use it instead of GOG for whatever it is that Steam does or do I need to repurchase from Steam? I don't mind, as it's on sale now, but I'd rather not have to.
GoG has pretty good customer service. You could try getting a refund (it may be a full refund or store credit depending on how long it's been), and then purchase them on Steam. I own both steam and gog SDV because I was having a similar (possibly the same) issue with MP.

Just out of curiousity, what is the problem you're having?

imnvs

Local Legend
Okay, you're having problems with multiplayer... is it lag or connectivity issues? If so, are you and your daughter playing from the same internet connection? If so, skip the purchase/download/connectivity platform problem all together. Seriously, play a LAN game instead. You connect to each other without going out to the internet, meaning your connection is much quicker/secure.

If you want information/help setting that up, ask.

Bark Ruffalo

Planter
GoG has pretty good customer service. You could try getting a refund (it may be a full refund or store credit depending on how long it's been), and then purchase them on Steam. I own both steam and gog SDV because I was having a similar (possibly the same) issue with MP.

Just out of curiousity, what is the problem you're having?
It takes a minute but I can get the invitation code to show but she has nowhere to enter it.

Bark Ruffalo

Planter
Okay, you're having problems with multiplayer... is it lag or connectivity issues? If so, are you and your daughter playing from the same internet connection? If so, skip the purchase/download/connectivity platform problem all together. Seriously, play a LAN game instead. You connect to each other without going out to the internet, meaning your connection is much quicker/secure.

If you want information/help setting that up, ask.
That sounds perfect, really-I don't play with anyone else usually. I would like to learn more about this.
We're both mobile players and I bought her a copy of the game after I got it for my (admittedly elderly) PC, so this is kind of new for us. I think we succeeded once.

Bark Ruffalo

Planter
If you purchased the game on GOG and are trying to play multiplayer, you'll need to launch the game through GOG Galaxy: https://www.gog.com/galaxy
If you've done that and are still having trouble, I recommend trying the following guides if you haven't yet:
Unfortunately there's no guarentee that using the Steam version would solve the issue you're having.
At the risk of sound like I completely have no idea what I'm doing (wouldn't be the first time, haha) is there a way to set up to run modded SDV through GOG like there is for Steam? I usually just have GOG running in the background.

imnvs

Local Legend
Yes, you can run a modded game through GOG, but I would still, if you're local, play local rather than through GOG.

To play a LAN game, the host loads up a co-op game as per normal. The other person uses the "Join LAN Game" option and puts in your LAN IP. To find your LAN IP, just google "what's my lan ip" and follow the steps given. (It's really easy. You just have to open a command prompt and type one thing in.)

The bit you quoted about multiplayer games and having to load them through GOG only applies if you're not playing locally on a LAN.

Bark Ruffalo

Planter
Yes, you can run a modded game through GOG, but I would still, if you're local, play local rather than through GOG.

To play a LAN game, the host loads up a co-op game as per normal. The other person uses the "Join LAN Game" option and puts in your LAN IP. To find your LAN IP, just google "what's my lan ip" and follow the steps given. (It's really easy. You just have to open a command prompt and type one thing in.)

The bit you quoted about multiplayer games and having to load them through GOG only applies if you're not playing locally on a LAN.
Thank you! I will be sure to update all of her stuff, and hopefully playing local will work.

Bark Ruffalo

Planter
Let us know if it works! :)
I have everything updated on her laptop, but I need her to sign in to GOG.

I am able to host a game, I get the invite code listed and everything. I try her laptop to join a LAN game and the connection fails.

ETA: When I have her host and I try to join the LAN game, the connection fails that way also

Last edited:

LRangerR

Local Legend
There are times that I had to keep trying (like 9 times) in order to join a normal internet game, I don't know if this is a similar issue, but it sounds like it shouldn't be doing that.

@imnvs thoughts?

imnvs

Local Legend
Okay, the host should check settings...

Under "Multiplayer":

Is "Server Mode" set to "online"?

Is "Accept IP connections" checked off?

Bark Ruffalo

Planter
Okay, the host should check settings...

Under "Multiplayer":

Is "Server Mode" set to "online"?

Is "Accept IP connections" checked off?
I get "Friends Only" and "Invite Only" and the Accept IP connections is checked.

She has Online/Offline and Accept IP Connections checked.

ETA: I also have "Invite Friend" and "Show Invite Code" buttons